• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Clean Power/Rottweilers/ & A Certain FB High End Audio Group Member

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I am a new member of a FB group for High End Audio as I know several local audiophiles who are members of this group and I am trying to network more to sell my high end custom speakers and acoustic products. Today this appeared, unsolicited, on that group's feed:

Clean Power/Rottweilers/ & Me

My first experience with Power Cords was about 16 years ago when Power Cords were getting a lot of press, both Pro and Con. I decided to try them and my Audio Dealer recommended two for my Power Amplifier which took two AC cords. When I installed them I chose a Live Jazz CD that I had been listening to a lot for the test. It starts off with the Emcee of the show speaking to the audience. Well, soon as he started to speak the three Rottweilers that we’re living with me at the time came running, growling and looking for this Invader! They had heard this CD many times, never with this reaction. I also noticed my usual volume setting was very low, I could dramatically increase the volume and the music got louder but stayed crystal clear and painless. I called my dealer and told him what had happened and he said: Your ears perceive noise, grunge, distortion as volume. The AC Cords had removed all of the AC Noise to a point of fooling the ears of Rottweilers and giving me a much purer, cleaner sound. Since then I have changed out all of my stock Cords and done a lot of other things to attain clean power and couldn’t be happier. Well worth a try if you haven’t already.
Thanks for listening!

Given that this was not prompted by anything on the feed, I find it really interesting.

Anyone here have thoughts?

I am a new member of a FB group for High End Audio as I know several local audiophiles who are members of this group and I am trying to network more to sell my high end custom speakers and acoustic products. Today this appeared, unsolicited, on that group's feed:

Clean Power/Rottweilers/ & Me

My first experience with Power Cords was about 16 years ago when Power Cords were getting a lot of press, both Pro and Con. I decided to try them and my Audio Dealer recommended two for my Power Amplifier which took two AC cords. When I installed them I chose a Live Jazz CD that I had been listening to a lot for the test. It starts off with the Emcee of the show speaking to the audience. Well, soon as he started to speak the three Rottweilers that we’re living with me at the time came running, growling and looking for this Invader! They had heard this CD many times, never with this reaction. I also noticed my usual volume setting was very low, I could dramatically increase the volume and the music got louder but stayed crystal clear and painless. I called my dealer and told him what had happened and he said: Your ears perceive noise, grunge, distortion as volume. The AC Cords had removed all of the AC Noise to a point of fooling the ears of Rottweilers and giving me a much purer, cleaner sound. Since then I have changed out all of my stock Cords and done a lot of other things to attain clean power and couldn’t be happier. Well worth a try if you haven’t already.
Thanks for listening!

Given that this was not prompted by anything on the feed, I find it really interesting.

Anyone here have thoughts?
Yes, the human race doomed!

Yes, should you consider selling power cords instead of high end custom speakers?

And, do you need a partner?

I've actually considered buying IEC cables in bulk from China and wrapping them with nylon mesh and putting shrink tubing on the ends and selling them for 1,000x the price.

I've actually considered buying IEC cables in bulk from China and wrapping them with nylon mesh and putting shrink tubing on the ends and selling them for 1,000x the price.

I defer to my second question. LOL

The only thing missing from that facebook post was an analogy to vanishing veils or horse blankets.

He lost all credibility when he used the so-called word "emcee." Just use the damn letters or say the whole thing.

Good morning, team. We are designing our best power amplifier ever with a cost is no object design philosophy. We'll use the finest transistors, engineer a completely over the top power supply which could very easily require we have custom toroidal transformers manufactured just for this amp. We will over engineer the chassis and faceplate and apply 10x the amount of isolation shielding as necessary to get the lowest possible noise. The output current will be essentially unlimited, only the house mains will limit this amp's output. In fact, let's use two power cables to get the most from it.

But, one extremely important feature we are convinced will help justify the likely $15,000 price is that we will include subpar power cables which cannot fully supply the current necessary for these amps to sound even decent at typical listening levels. Users will get below average sound until they purchase special high end power cables which our company won't make or offer because we are not in the cable business, we make electronics. We also won't bother to tell customers they need different cables because we don't want them to know about how we screwed them over with cheap-ass power cable tossed into the box of this $15,000 amp.

So, get to it team. This is going to be epic!!!

Even better. Get some cheap Romex cable, wrap it in nylon, and sell THAT. Because what's the point in expensive power cables if the electrical power going to the outlet into which those cables are plugged are using the same crappy electrical cable you used for the rest of your hovel?

Combine that with special outlets that you can probably get $50 for (each), and then you can market the power cables, Romex, and outlets together as "Specially manufactured to work well together while eliminating noise."

Even better. Get some cheap Romex cable, wrap it in nylon, and sell THAT. Because what's the point in expensive power cables if the electrical power going to the outlet into which those cables are plugged are using the same crappy electrical cable you used for the rest of your hovel?

Combine that with special outlets that you can probably get $50 for (each), and then you can market the power cables, Romex, and outlets together as "Specially manufactured to work well together while eliminating noise."

Or ... Offer a Power panel to power amp electrical connection service where one is contracted to install said Romex, outlet, power conditioner, and cable. You could rig an series of before/after tests with an oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, or similar meter and really impress the uninformed. The markup could be astronomical.

Or ... Offer a Power panel to power amp electrical connection service where one is contracted to install said Romex, outlet, power conditioner, and cable. You could rig an series of before/after tests with an oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, or similar meter and really impress the uninformed. The markup could be astronomical.

Yeah, a separate "insulated" breaker box that would let you keep the AC power completely separate from all other noisy circuits in the house.

On a more serious note- that WOULD allow for something useful, like a panel-mounted surge arrestor, but one could doll that sucker up for SERIOUS bucks. Is a $15,000 power amp any good if you don't feed it from a $8000 breaker box?

Yeah, a separate "insulated" breaker box that would let you keep the AC power completely separate from all other noisy circuits in the house.

On a more serious note- that WOULD allow for something useful, like a panel-mounted surge arrestor, but one could doll that sucker up for SERIOUS bucks. Is a $15,000 power amp any good if you don't feed it from a $8000 breaker box?

You are completely missing the point... surge suppression, noise filters, and isolation transformers actually work and do exactly what they claim. I guarantee you that a Tripp Lite IsoBar device (surge suppression and noise filtering) or Furman Balanced Power Isolation transformer will improve the performance of a system.

But, the idea that one AC wire big enough to feed all the current is superior to any other AC wire capable of feeding enough current is friggin' insane.

You are completely missing the point... surge suppression, noise filters, and isolation transformers actually work and do exactly what they claim. I guarantee you that a Tripp Lite IsoBar device (surge suppression and noise filtering) or Furman Balanced Power Isolation transformer will improve the performance of a system.

But, the idea that one AC wire big enough to feed all the current is superior to any other AC wire capable of feeding enough current is friggin' insane.

No, I get it- I'm not saying that stuff doesn't matter- it's that isolating the theater breakers from the rest of the box would make that easier to implement on a circuit-wide basis, not just at the outlet. But you COULD sell a ridiculously over engineered breaker box and other goodies at exorbitant prices with just enough legit stuff to make the snake oil go down smoother.

Combine it with the BS Romex and outlets and whatnot and you have an "integrated power solution system" that ought to be worth a sports car AND a boat to the right buyers.

I just got banished from a FB forum for asking a question... an audiophile was arguing that a Power Cable upgrade can make a "significant" improvement to the sound of an audio system. When someone challenged him, he said "by improve I mean, make a dramatic and substantive improvement to the overall sound of your system like a major component upgrade but for far less money. The kind of improvement that has you enjoying music much more, and thinking about your system far less."

So, a few of us were politely questioning him and challenging his assertions with logic. Questions like: why? what characteristics matter? how can 6 feet of power cable negate 100ft of Romex? etc.

Then he stated:
"AC does not move or behave like water flowing through a pipe. It’s comprised of infinitesimally small electrons and they are affected my an amazing number of factors. In many ways the state of the electrons plays an overwhelming role in what your system will sound like."

To which I fascetiously responded:
"Aren't all electrons by nature all very small regardless of what they are being used for? Your statement implies they are somehow smaller when used to produce AC current. I'd love to have this conversation in person over a beer or other pleasing beverage, as I fear my responses may appear rude on this FB thread."

He got mad, I was soon banned.

Reversal... without my involvement they've reinstated me. No word on what happened. Doesn't really matter to me. I am not invested in anything on FB.

Back