• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Considering Cutting Cable

Towen7 said:
That article is pretty close to my experience and the dozens of others I have read just like it. Since the thread was bumped I'll share my thoughts after cutting cable for several months now.

I don't regret it at all. Not even a little bit. It's not just the monthly money savings that I'm enjoying;

I drop in on friends for must see sporting events that are only on cable and in return they come by for movies in the HT.

I read more, listen to more music, and interact with the family more too.

Overall the house just seems more pleasant now thats it's quiet or a little music in the background instead of Dirty Jobs or Man vs. Food on the TV 24/7.

I don't miss the bias of 24 hour news. I used to think that I and my friends all thought for ourselves when we watched political talk shows. Now that I'm less exposed to the same commentary that they consume, I find myself disagreeing with my friends and engaging in more stimulating debate. Instead hearing a bunch of "hell yeah" when we discuss current event or politics there are a lot more "wait, what the hell did you just say?".

That pretty much has been my experience after I trashed the satellite dish more than a decade ago. Good riddance. We have a hi def TV that was given to me by my employer and is connected to an attic antenna, but it literally hasn't been on for several months now. Peace and quiet......

My TV is usually only on regularly when the kids are here. I usually sit in the quiet or with music. Lately since the weather is cold me and the lady been watchin more movies. The worst part is my few favorites I watch aren't available any other way. I'm hoping for a more a la cart choice in my tv experience, I hate paying for 800 channels and I watch 5.

The cable companies are never going to offer a la carte channels. Especially if people keep paying $100 cable bills to get 4 versions of the Halmark channel.

Just cut your cable and adapt. You'll thank me in a couple of months.

Back