• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Cool Discovery for U-Verse users

AndySTL

I made a cool discovery today. I purchased an Apple AirPort Express and connected it to my wireless network via the U-Verse RG. I was able to successfully connect one the the STBs via the AirPort Express. So this gives me the option of adding a TV to a location that isn't wired for service (no coax in my 81 year old house so AT&T wired cat5 to all of my TV locations). I am particularly excited about being able to take a small TV to the back patio to watch baseball/football games in the evening outside. So far, my experiment has been limited to SD and it was close to the RG, so signal strength was high, but hopefully it will also work outside. I am pumped!

Uverse is available, though not in my neighborhood (yet).

I'm happy with Dish, but I might be swayed to make a change once it's available if it's going to save me a lot by bundling. Ben just recently got Uverse, so once he gets used to it I'm hoping he'll let me come over for a demo. The 'total DVR' and higher internet speeds are what interest me the most.

I'm thinking of switching to uverse. How was installation? I've heard bad things about them needing many holes throughout the home (inside and out). How's the picture quality for HD? Service?

I was going to start my own thread on it, and will if you'd like Andy, as I don't want to hijack your thread.

jamhead said:
I'm thinking of switching to uverse. How was installation? I've heard bad things about them needing many holes throughout the home (inside and out). How's the picture quality for HD? Service?

I was going to start my own thread on it, and will if you'd like Andy, as I don't want to hijack your thread.

No worries, keep it going here.

I like U-Verse alot. We've had it since February 2008. Picture quality of the HD is quite good in my opinion, although I don't think I am too picky in that arena. The installation met my expectations, although I could see how some people would not like some of the cat5 wire routing options that they wanted to make. My house is 81 years old and had no coax wiring fro cable, so AT&T had to install cat5 to all of the TV locations. As a result, it didn't bother me that we were drilling holes in the floor etc... I think if you carefully plan out how you want the wiring to be installed, they will do their best to accommodate you. I have heard/read some horror stories, but in our case we were satisfied.

Back