• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Digital Copy - WTF

Yesfan70 said:
Towen7 said:
The digital copies are low res and DRM protected. They are intended for viewing on a portable device like a phone or iPad. They are fine for that. If your going to go through the effort of hacking the DRM you may as well just rip the DVD.

Great point as I didn't think of that. Maybe the best bet is to just use the DVD and then edit it the way one would want so they could view on a phone or players.

Another point in why DCs are a waste of money.
This is funny to me (I'm not making fun of you) because I actually get pissed if there isn't an option to purchase with a DC. Of course I understand why some people are frustrated by the format, but for me and the way I have my home set up with a few appletvs, it is incredibly convenient/efficient/easy. Once the DC is set-up in itunes, I have instant access throughout the home and they are easily installed/removed from any of our iphones/ipad/itouch...Also after watching several of them on a 42" or 50" plasmas, I find them perfectly acceptable (= to EDTV PQ) for just queuing up a movie on a whim. I can't imagine watching on anything bigger and if I want to do some serious movie watching I simply pop in a BD in the theater. I appreciate the format for what they are INTENDED for (portable devices) and I get a bit more use out of them beyond even that. And again I have to reiterate that the fact that there is any expiration at all SUCKS...

I'm with Bats here but I don't have Apple TVs. I like to have DCs for my phones and iPad. I'd like them even more if I had an Apple TV or two.

^^^ I didn't take it that way.

I guess, to me anyways, I just don't understand why you can't just have some sort of down loadable version on the Bluray disc itself. Looking back at my post, I think the "waste of money" comment may be too much, so I take it back.

Even though I have yet to use one of my DCs (and after reading T7's post about ripping the DVD), I feel I'm still "paying" for that extra disc somehow and that's what has me bothered a bit.

Back to the dates and some ?'s Yesfan alluded to, once activated and installed on itunes, can it later be added to WMP? I have no use for it in that manner, but T7 had stated that it can be used in any way one sees fit after it's activated. I've made it a point to keep the hard discs in the case after installation for future use...

I don't know about that. I have an Apple TV and there is no way in hell I'm going to load a stupid DC on it... They are ALL low res!!!! Why bother!

Yesfan70 said:
^^^ I didn't take it that way.

I guess, to me anyways, I just don't understand why you can't just have some sort of down loadable version on the Bluray disc itself. Looking back at my post, I think the "waste of money" comment may be too much, so I take it back.

Even though I have yet to use one of my DCs (and after reading T7's post about ripping the DVD), I feel I'm still "paying" for that extra disc somehow and that's what has me bothered a bit.
I think in either case, a surcharge would still exist, whether physically on the BD or a separate disc.

If anyone here wants to dump their DCs because they have no use for them or whatever, I'd gladly pay $2-3+postage/movie if it's a movie I want... :happy-smileygiantred:

To answer about whether you can download an Apple version and later switch to WMP. Nope. When you download it, you have to choose a windows or apple format. Once decided it's it stays that way. That's DRM for ya.

But... You may be able to use a combination of software to break the DRM and transcode it like you do with a DVD.

Razz said:
I don't know about that. I have an Apple TV and there is no way in hell I'm going to load a stupid DC on it... They are ALL low res!!!! Why bother!
Have you actually viewed one? They state they're SD but I still have to say that on a decent TV they're sufficient (maybe it's my set's scaler) for putting something on when there's nothing good on TV and you just don't feel like popping in a disc. Technically, you don't have to load it onto the AppleTV as they're just there like you tunes within the menu (but you know this as much as anyone since you talked me into buying appletv and now I have one on each floor). Again for the INTENDED PURPOSE of portable devices they are more than adequate. Plus I don't have to load a damn disc EVERYTIME the kids want to watch Toy Story 3... :teasing-tease:

Towen7 said:
....But... You may be able to use a combination of software to break the DRM and transcode it like you do with a DVD.

Just like you mentioned earlier, wouldn't ripping the DVD to begin with be easier? Not trying to be a smart ass, but you guys are smarter with PCs than I, so that why I ask.

Most DCs take less than 4 minutes to load and it's done, if I wanted high def movies with dolby digital instantly anywhere in the house than yes going thru the DVD ripping process would be BETTER. I'm not trying to get an HTPC experience from the DCs so for me that would be more of a headache...

Yup. Just saying that there is an option if you want to go cross platform. I personally wouldn't bother but that's just me. IMHO the digital copy is a nice little extra. It wouldn't bother me if they went away and it doesn't bother me that I pay an extra buck or two.

This is what pisses me off about DC too!! If you wait until X-mas, they will unlock some of the expired codes. On the back of your DVD/Blu-Ray package the expiry date is printed in tiny tiny print. You may need a magnifying glass to read it.

I paid for the G-Damn Digital Copy, why in the world does it expire?

I could see someone filing a class action suit for this sometime...

Do all movies w/ a Digital Copy clearly state it on the front?
I never really paid attention and out of the 60-80 Blu-Rays I have apparently
only 2 have a digital copy (based on a quick perusal of the jacket art).

Also...My phone doesn't play the damn thing (need mp4 format and any transcode
has resulted in a complete blur with no sound). Nice F'n Digital Copy. DRM...ARGHH!!!

Dirt, yes the Bluray cover should mention that it has a Digital copy on the front. I recall many Bluray titles will come with it or not and indicate the difference and normally the one with the digital copy will cost a few bucks more. Most Pixar and Disney titles have DC, along with a regular dvd copy also. Just a shame that the DC expires after a short time.

MatthewB said:
Dirt, yes the Bluray cover should mention that it has a Digital copy on the front. I recall many Bluray titles will come with it or not and indicate the difference and normally the one with the digital copy will cost a few bucks more. Most Pixar and Disney titles have DC, along with a regular dvd copy also. Just a shame that the DC expires after a short time.

FWIW I had 5 Blu-Rays that mention Digital Copy specifically on the jacket art and a total of 16 that have a Digital Copy.
Of those 16, 9 had expired. ANNOYING :text-thankyoublue: :violence-torch:

Question has anyone set the clock and date back on the laptop and tried in stand alone without the network connection and an older date and time?

Do the digital copies verify with the home web site for registration and date and time?

It doesn't work that way hence why they ask if you have an Internet connection. It logs you to their server. You put in your passcode and then their server verifies that the passcode is valid or not and depending on the servers date will determine if the dc has expired or not.

I finally decided to get all my digital copies taken care of and they all worked with the exception of Star Trek, which had a Digital Copy disk, but a blank space where the code should have been. My biggest irk is the stupid DRM, which seriously limits what devices it can be played on. I'd be better off using Handbrake and just ripping the DVD myself (DMCA be damned).

Back