• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Digital Copy - WTF

Haywood said:
I finally decided to get all my digital copies taken care of and they all worked with the exception of Star Trek, which had a Digital Copy disk, but a blank space where the code should have been. My biggest irk is the stupid DRM, which seriously limits what devices it can be played on. I'd be better off using Handbrake and just ripping the DVD myself (DMCA be damned).

I think for Star Trek I had lost the jacket art that had the code on it. I sent an email to the studio's digital copy email (gotten from another digital copy process for the same studio). They replied within a week with a new code.

Razz said:
Digital Copy is just STUPID... it's not even hi def.

If the intent is to only watch a DC on an HDTV than I'd agree. But Digital Copy is great for getting movies onto a phone or tablet. I can rip a DVD and convert it to an iOS friendy version but that takes over an hour and requires special software. I haven't ripped BDs because that takes even longer.

The only alternative is to buy and download the movie from iTunes at about $15 a piece (HD is more) and never own a physical copy.

I just never see myself in a situation where I will watch a movie off my phone.

I get that some people have no use for DC and I wouldn't watch on my phone either but with the iPad (or other tablet) I will/do. I took my daughter to the DMV where there is no wifi to surf the interwebs, so I spent three hours watching video on my iPad while waiting. When I travel for work I load up the iPad instead of paying for movies at the hotel room or carrying a second laptop (in addition to my corporate one which I would never load movies on).

My gripe is the DRM, which is a real problem if you have an Android phone, for example. It only works with Microsoft Plays for Sure or Apple devices, which is very lame. If I simply rip the disc to a portable format, I can play it on any device. The Hollywood executives who think I should have to pay extra for the privilege can kiss my ass. I am well within my historical Fair Use rights, DMCA be damned (along with the worthless, corrupt bastards who passed it).

Razz I hardly travel but last year going to Bats. I had no iTouch or laptop that would play anything being 10 Years old. Since then I said F it and this year I have over a thousand songs on my iTouch and just bought a laptop with all the best video features. DC about 20 movies (which strangely after calibrating my screen looks better than my plasma) I am so ready for this flight. NO MORE CHATTY WOMEN TALKING ABOUT USELESS SHIT AND NO MORE SCREAMING BABIES!!!! Just plug in my earbuds and relax.

Razz said:
I just never see myself in a situation where I will watch a movie off my phone.

Word.

Not even on a tablet. I'm not trying to be a snob or a purist. But I would much rather spend two hours listening to music and "work the google on the internet machine". I understand that my opinion is not universally mutual... just sayin'. At Christmas, I actually decided to rip all my DC's to the new laptop I got, and ran into the expiration date problem too. I thought "hey I paid for it, why not use it?" And like many others here, I discovered that it was much like an old gift card that losses value as it sits unused. What a crock. It's a cool enough concept, for those who would actually use it. But road blocks like expiration dates and compatibility issues create a bad enough experience to keep it from becoming adopted by the mainstream consumer.

I use the digital copies only to put the movies on my ipad or stream it through the AppleTv. On some of the codes that have expiration dates I emailed the the company and they gladly sent me a new code. I did attach the proof of purchase on my email.

...am I the only guy left who reads magazines on paper? :shifty:

Yet one more example of greed and just how government shits on the little guy buy letting the studios get away with this. There is a whole lot of stealing going on no doubt, even still we who buy this stuff should have the right to use it how ever we want as long as it's legal. The second we steal then all bets should be off and the punishment should be swift and painfull.

I watched one of these movies at Bat's house on the projector. The picture was not great, but it was very enjoyable and the fasion in which we watched the movie lent it's self to being fast an easy.

I watch movies all the time on my iPhone, never the whole thing at one time but I love it. As for my laptop I watch on there many times also. It has 17" 16:9 Hi-Def screen and I'm 2ft or so away from it so I find it very enjoyable to watch documentaries and movies on. I'm the kind of person who gets very into whatever I'm watching so it's only minutes before I forget all about the short comings of the picture and I get engrossed in the film.

what the flyin f*ck man!

I just recently got a tablet right? so here i am trying to figure out digital copies, and pulled out "The Eagle"

Fucking digital copy expired last month.

So i try looking for more, and i see American Gangster.

Hey, i have that one...

So i download it, get the software for it via my desktop, and guess what,

its fuckin downloading it via the net! i thought most of the digital copies are already INSIDE the said fuckin case or something!?!?

1. its expired.
2. you have to download it, and in my case, wait for lets say 2 hours and 32 minutes to get it done.
3. i have to download it to my tablet.

Im stuck now because i dont know if i end up closing the window or something, if id be able to continue downloading it.

F*ckin hell man. im better off downloading it from a torrent or something.

No wonder people download illegal sh*t off the net. Its easier than a f*ckin handjob.

I would rather buy a Blu-Ray that comes with a DVD and then just rip the DVD with DVD Decryptor and convert it to M4V with Handbrake. That way I get a finished product of comparable quality without any of that DRM bullshit.

^ As soon as I figure out how to add chapter markers, I'll be ripping my entire blu-ray collection...

So, about this handbrake,
1. is it free?
2. does it take forever to rip a dvd?
3. hows the quality? i used to use S.U.P.E.R.... but that was back in the day.

Sh*t man, i hated digital copies because it changes the price of blu-rays at times, but f*ck not to be allowed to use it? thats jacked up.

Haywood said:
I would rather buy a Blu-Ray that comes with a DVD and then just rip the DVD with DVD Decryptor and convert it to M4V with Handbrake. That way I get a finished product of comparable quality without any of that DRM bullshit.

Why not just rip the Bluray with makemkv?

http://makemkv.com/

It's free and it has worked on every single movie I have tried (over 500 titles).

I use handbrake to compress if I want to take something on a portable device.

I'm ripping my own movies to my own server. All this DRM bullshit has led me down this path, so screw them for making it way too complicated. :angelic-green:

D

Doghart said:
Haywood said:

Why not just rip the Bluray with makemkv?

http://makemkv.com/

It's free and it has worked on every single movie I have tried (over 500 titles).

I use handbrake to compress if I want to take something on a portable device.

I'm ripping my own movies to my own server. All this DRM bullshit has led me down this path, so screw them for making it way too complicated. :angelic-green:

D

Dog,

1. how many gigs does a standard movie cap out on average?
2. im assuming i need a blu-ray drive to get this done right, shooot.. :(

Yeah, you will need a bluray drive.

A bluray can take anywhere from 10 to 50GB.

I have a 20TB storage solution, so I'm not worried about it.

I keep a 1TB portable drive with a 50+ movies on it for the kiddo when we travel. If I want to I can use handbrake to compress the movie into about 4GB for a smaller screen/lesser quality.

You could always just torrent the movies you already own.... but i didn't say that. (make sure you are using peerblock, or similar software if you torrent.)

Most torrents are under 1GB and look like crap on anything larger than an iPad/laptop.

D

Jomari I'm with you on the digital copies. I prefer when the Bluray comes with a digital copy disc. Takes like two minutes to rip the movie to my hard drive. When I bought LOTR all the movies had to be downloaded via the net and took almost three hours with a pretty fast Internet connection. What's new is downloading from the cloud which sucks even further because you have to set up an account with the server log in to site and then wait to stream the movie and depending on connection speed can have issues. I hate this option the worse. I just want to be anywhere click play movie and start watching.

So I had 4 movies that the digital copy expired. And I wanted to do something about that in case I ever get an iPad and want to watch a movie on a plane.

District 9 - Sony
Wall-E - Disney
Valkyrie - Fox
X-Men - Fox

I could only find phone numbers for Fox and Disney... Called both and within 2 mins they gave me new codes. I told them I had just bought them, yeah, I lied. :happy-smileygiantred:
But BAM! That was easy.

Now Sony I could not find the phone number to call but did send an email. I was answered in a day and they did NOT give me a new code.

If anyone has Sony's number for digital copies I would like to give it another shot.

Disney Digital Copy.... (800) 723 4763

Fox Digital Copy....(877) 369 7876

Back