• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dinner and a movie

Towen7 said:
Decided on The American and a pasta/meat dish that I got from Cooks Illustrated a year or two ago. It's got baby-back ribs, sausage, and meat balls all stewed in a tomato sauce and served over linguine. Caesar salad and grilled ciabatta bread with garlic and parmeigiana reggiano cheese. It's a family favorite and pretty much fits with nats' suggestion.

I also stumbled on a wine that was suggested in an earlier thread, Layer Cake zinfandel, but we've got plenty of other wine choices on hand.

Dinner should be good but frankly I'm not too excited about a George Clooney flick.
its amazing how freshsly ground reggiano makes bread or pasta come alive

nats said:
Towen7 said:
Decided on The American and a pasta/meat dish that I got from Cooks Illustrated a year or two ago. It's got baby-back ribs, sausage, and meat balls all stewed in a tomato sauce and served over linguine. Caesar salad and grilled ciabatta bread with garlic and parmeigiana reggiano cheese. It's a family favorite and pretty much fits with nats' suggestion.

I also stumbled on a wine that was suggested in an earlier thread, Layer Cake zinfandel, but we've got plenty of other wine choices on hand.

Dinner should be good but frankly I'm not too excited about a George Clooney flick.
:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: Not to mention pizza! :text-bravo:

nats said:
Towen7 said:

do you pre cook the ribs?or do they just cook in the sauce,please give details on this meal when you get a chance,and by the way,a crusty ciabatta is my favorite.

nats said:
nats said:
Towen7 said:

do you pre cook the ribs?or do they just cook in the sauce,please give details on this meal when you get a chance,and by the way,a crusty ciabatta is my favorite.
I'm not Towen, but I have made this: Brown a rack of spareribs in a frypan (or, I suppose, a grill) and then stuff them in a crockpot with your favorite spaghetti sauce recipe. Cook for (I'm not kidding) 24 hours. Fish the bones out (the meat and fat will be gone) and serve, or cool, degrease and serve (I never have). NOM! :banana-dance:

OMG... The American was terrible. Just awful.

Dinner however was pretty good. The ribs and sausage are browned in a big pot and removed. Sauté some onion and oregano until the onions just brown. Add tomatoe paste and pressed garlic, two big cans of crushed tomatoes, fresh basil, beef broth and the browned ribs and sausage. Toss the pot into a 325 degree oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours. Remove the ribs and sausage and add browned meat balls (ground pork, ground beef, ground veal, Romano cheese, parsley, garlic, bread crumbs, egg, buttermilk) and cook for 30 minutes. Serve over pasta with grilled chiabatta bread with garlic butter parmesean cheese and a hint of Italian herbs.

We ended up drinking three bottles of shiraz, Greg Norman 2007, a "value" bottle from Australia called The Stump Jump 2008, and (a forum recommendation that we liked enough to have again) McManis 2009.

Did I mention that The American was terrible?

Towen7 said:
Dinner however was pretty good. The ribs and sausage are browned in a big pot and removed. Sauté some onion and oregano until the onions just brown. Add tomatoe paste and pressed garlic, two big cans of crushed tomatoes, fresh basil, beef broth and the browned ribs and sausage. Toss the pot into a 325 degree oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours. Remove the ribs and sausage and add browned meat balls (ground pork, ground beef, ground veal, Romano cheese, parsley, garlic, bread crumbs, egg, buttermilk) and cook for 30 minutes. Serve over pasta with grilled chiabatta bread with garlic butter parmesean cheese and a hint of Italian herbs.
No wine added to the sauce? :eek:

While I don't think adding wine to the sauce would hurt, it certainly doesn't need it. The ribs, sausage, and meet balls all cooked in the sauce add deep layers of flavors that blend well.

Maybe I'll try adding some vino the next time I make this.

Sounds like someone will be required to cook one evening in July.... :eusa-whistle:

Speaking of Dinner, a movie and George Clooney. The trifecta.

4832732426_0d8be6b6c1_b.jpg

Back