• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

DirectTV dropping FX and FOX sports channels

Doghart

Well-Known Member
and SPEED, National Geographic and possibly FOX local channels.

Dammit, now I'm going to have to switch back to Comcrap.... :angry-cussingblack:

D
 

Doghart

Well-Known Member
So here's some copy/paste from the Facebook page:

DirecTV says Fox Networks wants a 40% increase. That’s just not true. We've asked them to pay the same price for your favorite networks, shows and sports programming that their competitors pay. AND, we are willing to keep our channels on while we continue our talks, instead, DirecTV has decided to drop your favorite shows and sporting events November 1.

.
.
Fox said late Thursday that it has offered an extension during the ongoing negotiations but that DirecTV "has informed us and their customers that unless we agree to their demands, they 'will suspend our networks on Nov. 1.'"
Fox added that DirecTV sent a proposal out Tuesday.
"They have given us no chance to respond before taking an unnecessarily aggressive posture and going public," Fox Networks said in a statement. "It is disappointing that they have chosen bad faith tactics over meaningful negotiation.
"We have proposed to keep the Fox Networks on DirecTV for the same price, and on the same terms as they are currently carried while we attempt to work out a fair agreement. Unfortunately, DirecTV has decided that unless they get their way, they are going to pull the plug on their customers Nov. 1."
Meanwhile, DirecTV issued its own statement late Thursday.
"After months of making little progress in our talks with News Corp and Fox to renew our agreement to carry their regional sports networks and other national channels we’ve regrettably reached a point where we will be forced to suspend the channels as soon as Nov. 1 unless News Corp is willing to move toward a more reasonable price increase," the company said.



D
 

Huey

Well-Known Member
Famous
I don't watch those other channels, but if I lose my local Fox network, I'm going to be pissed.
 

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
Glad I stayed with Dish. What sucks is, there are few college games on the FSN networks.


Huey,

I imagine the local Fox networks would not be dropped. If they are, there's going to be a lot of pissed off customers who have Sunday Ticket. Fox carries the NFC games, so half of the games broadcast every Sunday would be gone. Not to mention the regular programming on that channel.
 

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!
Superstar
With the OWS mood seeming to grow, and Netflix' stock down 28%, someone's not paying attention...
 

Towen7

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
I'm willing to bet that it'll get settled before long. This exact thing has happened with other channels and operators. There may be a short time without the channels but it wont last long.
 

heeman

Well-Known Member
Famous
Towen7 said:
I'm willing to bet that it'll get settled before long. This exact thing has happened with other channels and operators. There may be a short time without the channels but it wont last long.


I hope that you are right T7!!
 

TitaniumTroy

Well-Known Member
I watch a few shows on FX, like Sons of Anarchy, Justified, American Horror Story. Last few years it seems AMC has been coming out with the better shows compared to FX though.
 

-B-

Well-Known Member
TitaniumTroy said:
I watch a few shows on FX, like Sons of Anarchy, Justified, American Horror Story. Last few years it seems AMC has been coming out with the better shows compared to FX though.

I watch the sameshows, those and the Sunday night HBO lineup is pretty much TV for me. They'll have a Netflix type cancellation rate should they not fix it.
 

MatthewB

Grandmaster Pimp Daddy
Famous
They better not, I love the FX channel and am just getting into "American Horror Story"
 

Doghart

Well-Known Member
-B- said:
TitaniumTroy said:
I watch a few shows on FX, like Sons of Anarchy, Justified, American Horror Story. Last few years it seems AMC has been coming out with the better shows compared to FX though.

I watch the sameshows, those and the Sunday night HBO lineup is pretty much TV for me. They'll have a Netflix type cancellation rate should they not fix it.

I wonder if by dropping these channels anyone would be able to get out of any contract they would have with DirecTv?

Typically when a company makes changes to it's services or is purchased by another company you have a window to terminate any existing contract you would have with them without recourse.

D
 

MatthewB

Grandmaster Pimp Daddy
Famous
Was watching FX yesterday and I love the banner wars that are going on while shows are playing (I'm being sarcastic btw) FX will stream that Directv is dropping FX and NGT and Fox Sports for no reason whatsoever) then a few minutes after that, Directv will run their own banner claiming that Fox wants to increase your entire bill 40%. So many lies.
 

Kazaam

Well-Known Member
Losing Fox Sports would suck. But I'd expect things to get ironed out eventually. It seems like they always do. And, of course, then we end up paying higher prices.

This gets me to thinking about Internet-streaming subscriptions to NBA League Pass (and the NFL, NHL, and MLB equivalents). I wish there was a law that said the major sports leagues couldn't black out local games just because Fox Sports or whomever is broadcasting it (non-OTA) locally. That way we could still get our sports fix without having to pay for cable/satellite and pay for all those other channels that I don't hardy watch. It'd be hard to do, but thanks to the Internet, it'd probably be easier to do now than it was back in the late 1990s when I just had OTA.

Of course, since I'm wishing for laws that'll never appear, I might as well wish for cheaper ala carte cable/satellite pricing, too.
 

Akula

Well-Known Member
I expect they'll get it settled. They're just paying hardball right now. Providers and media companies do this every so often. Fox has done this with others, they'll nail down a settlement. Their biggest weapon is who does and doesn't drop service. Lots dump it = Fox gets their $. Few do = DirecTV gets a better price.

Had this come up a couple months ago, I'd have been more likely go call Charter. Now that baseball is over, I'll give them a couple weeks. But if they aren't sorted soon, DirecTV will have a hard time keeping us, even though I would prefer their service over cable.
 

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
Kazaam said:
Losing Fox Sports would suck. But I'd expect things to get ironed out eventually. It seems like they always do. And, of course, then we end up paying higher prices.

This gets me to thinking about Internet-streaming subscriptions to NBA League Pass (and the NFL, NHL, and MLB equivalents). I wish there was a law that said the major sports leagues couldn't black out local games just because Fox Sports or whomever is broadcasting it (non-OTA) locally. That way we could still get our sports fix without having to pay for cable/satellite and pay for all those other channels that I don't hardy watch. It'd be hard to do, but thanks to the Internet, it'd probably be easier to do now than it was back in the late 1990s when I just had OTA.

Of course, since I'm wishing for laws that'll never appear, I might as well wish for cheaper ala carte cable/satellite pricing, too.



I just wish you could pick the number of channels you want and be done with it. I don't watch Hall mark, Lifetime, or any of the shopping networks, so why should I have to pay extra for a package containing those channels in order to get channels I like like NatGeo, Science Channel, etc.?


There should be a way where you can pay for just the channels you watch. Maybe make it where each channel is so much a month, but you get a discount if you carry more than 15-20 channels.
 

Akula

Well-Known Member
Yesfan70 said:
Kazaam said:
Losing Fox Sports would suck. But I'd expect things to get ironed out eventually. It seems like they always do. And, of course, then we end up paying higher prices.

This gets me to thinking about Internet-streaming subscriptions to NBA League Pass (and the NFL, NHL, and MLB equivalents). I wish there was a law that said the major sports leagues couldn't black out local games just because Fox Sports or whomever is broadcasting it (non-OTA) locally. That way we could still get our sports fix without having to pay for cable/satellite and pay for all those other channels that I don't hardy watch. It'd be hard to do, but thanks to the Internet, it'd probably be easier to do now than it was back in the late 1990s when I just had OTA.

Of course, since I'm wishing for laws that'll never appear, I might as well wish for cheaper ala carte cable/satellite pricing, too.



I just wish you could pick the number of channels you want and be done with it. I don't watch Hall mark, Lifetime, or any of the shopping networks, so why should I have to pay extra for a package containing those channels in order to get channels I like like NatGeo, Science Channel, etc.?


There should be a way where you can pay for just the channels you watch. Maybe make it where each channel is so much a month, but you get a discount if you carry more than 15-20 channels.

It's because of carrier agreements. Some channels (shopping, religious) they pay to provider to carry. Doesn't matter if you watch it, but DirecTV makes money because they beam it into your home. Other channels the media companies require the providers to take... you want ESPN, you have to take the several other ESPNs and the Lifetime and Lifetime Movie channel.

So yeah, even though you're paying the provider, they still don't see you as their customer, but their product.
 

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!
Superstar
Akula said:
It's because of carrier agreements. Some channels (shopping, religious) they pay to provider to carry. Doesn't matter if you watch it, but DirecTV makes money because they beam it into your home. Other channels the media companies require the providers to take... you want ESPN, you have to take the several other ESPNs and the Lifetime and Lifetime Movie channel.

So yeah, even though you're paying the provider, they still don't see you as their customer, but their product.
Wow, I did not know that. But in retrospect, it makes a lot of sense.
 

Akula

Well-Known Member
Botch said:
Akula said:
It's because of carrier agreements. Some channels (shopping, religious) they pay to provider to carry. Doesn't matter if you watch it, but DirecTV makes money because they beam it into your home. Other channels the media companies require the providers to take... you want ESPN, you have to take the several other ESPNs and the Lifetime and Lifetime Movie channel.

So yeah, even though you're paying the provider, they still don't see you as their customer, but their product.
Wow, I did not know that. But in retrospect, it makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, it's how some of these companies get new channels to get going. Providers didn't go for OWN because people clamored for it, they had no friggin' choice if they wanted the other channels too.
 
Top