• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dish Hopper

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
http://www.dish.com/technology/hopper/

Tee?, Bats?, anyone got any scoop of when this is going to be available? One of my HD/DVR receivers took a dump on me today, so waiting for the replacement. Good news is there is no contract renewal for the replacement, so I'm hoping maybe I can get the Hopper when it becomes available.

The sucky thing is I won't get the same deals as a new and /or former Dish returning customers will get (which is bullshit), but I'm more interested in the TV everywhere setup. 6 HD tuners and a 2TB HDD all in one box is very enticing. Pair that up with a Sling adapter and that could be one sweet setup!

I'm aware of it, but I have NO idea of the release date yet...tee sent me a link a few weeks ago. I'm all over it when it comes out though.

You and me both. I'd be happy if the new box just had three tuners, but six would be awesome for football season. If it will let you do multi-picture in picture on one screen, that would be great for those of us with projector setups.

On another note.....three flat screens behind my (soon to be built) bar would be kickass! :twisted:

Uverse has had whole house access to the DVR for two years.

Just sayin'.

The system in the OP is better though as we can only record 3HD streams at a time and our DVRs doesn't have anywhere close to 2TB.

Towen7 said:
Uverse has had whole house access to the DVR for two years.

Just sayin'.

But it's still unavailable in my neighborhood, so Uverse does me no good. I doubt I'll look to that option after reading about Dish Hopper. The only disadvantage about not going with Uverse is the faster internet speeds (12 min with vs 6max without Uverse). I'm not too worried about that as I don't do Netflix anymore and Dish has Blockbuster streaming.

I think if Uverse had been available a month ago and I had switched, I would probably be happy enough to stay with them. From what I saw of Ben's setup, I was pretty impressed with Uverse.

:banana-rock: The Dish Hopper is available as of 3/15, I missed this while I was out of town. I have made arrangements for Dish to call Thursday to discuss two Hoppers combined with 4 Joeys to service the entire home including my basement. Hopper one with 3 joeys will service 1st and 2nd floors to 4 hdtvs, and hopper 2 with 1 Joey will service the theater and basement. I'll be able to record upto 6 programs at once, and all joeys will operate independently of each other except for the 3rd Joey tethered to hopper one...that one can watch anything that the other receivers are viewing or access the DVR, "prime time anytime," or blockbuster on demand streaming. I'll lose the built in sling feature when I swap out the 922, but a outboard sling adapter will remedy that (no idea why the decided to omit that feature)...

Batman said:
I'll be able to record upto 6 programs at once...

I was just looking at the Dish site and noticed that of the six channels you can record simultaneously, four have to be local channels and only 2 are satellite channels.

DISH said:
Record up to six live HD channels at once during primetime*, including your 4 local HD networks and 2 channels of your choosing

I'm puzzled by this. Aren't the local channels still delivered via satellite and thus using a receiver channel? If so why couldn't you use that receiver channel to record non-local programming?

I do know there has been some confusion as to the capabilities of this setup, because there have been confirmed mistakes in Dish's online "literature." Either way, I'll have more HD options at ALL my TVs throughout the house than I do currently whereas right now, the basement has the same signal split to 4 sets and no HD in any bedroom besides the master BR...for sure, this will be solved soon.

Not to torpedo this topic but in the 3 months we've had the DirecTV whole home system at Mom's it has worked great.

3 HD televisions, one DVR and two additional receivers, can only record 2 programs at once but in Mom's situation that is more than sufficient. Has worked flawlessly so far and the fact Mom can use it means it is simple to use.

Being single I can't think of any time I would need to record 6 programs at once but with a family I can see that happening.

mzpro5 said:
............I can't think of any time I would need to record 6 programs at once but with a family I can see that happening.

Even though I have a wife and kid, I could still use 6 tuners if I were single.....

College Football. :twisted:

I might have to call Dish and see about Dish Hopper. Please post you thoughts Chris when you get everything set up. I'll have plenty of questions. :dance:

Installation is set for this coming Wednesday, I'm excited, our bill is only going up $1.15...and I'll have HD dvr service to two rooms which currently don't even have dish receivers, and the 3 TVs in the basement outside of the theater will operate independently of the theater....

Batman said:
........our bill is only going up $1.15.......

Saw a commercial for Dish Hopper earlier today. Hilarious!

Only $1.15?? What did you have before? I currently only have two 722 receivers (dual tuner HD/DVR).

Bats-

Can you explain how the DVR works? I get the whole house access, that makes sense by networking he STBs through a diplexer. The stuff I've read online about the recording functions is contradictory and confusing. The adds mention being able to record 6 channels but there are references to conditions like 4 locals and prime time.

Yesfan70 said:
Batman said:

Only $1.15?? What did you have before? I currently only have two 722 receivers (dual tuner HD/DVR).
I'll be turning in 2 722s and a 922, all leased...

Batman said:
Yesfan70 said:
Batman said:

I'll be turning in 2 722s and a 922, all leased...

A 922....3 boxes. Damn I'm probably looking at about $50 extra on my bill.

Towen7 said:
Bats-

Can you explain how the DVR works? I get the whole house access, that makes sense by networking he STBs through a diplexer. The stuff I've read online about the recording functions is contradictory and confusing. The adds mention being able to record 6 channels but there are references to conditions like 4 locals and prime time.
Yeah I'll be happy to after everything is installed, I'm not sure right now...

Well.....

Just got through chatting with Dish's customer service. My current setup is:

Two 722 HD/DVRs. One feeding the living room HDTV. The other split to my HT projector and to the upstairs analog TV in the bedroom

If I go with a Dish Hopper and keep the same number of TVs, my price will go up about 1-2 dollars. Same price if I upgrade the bedroom TV to an HDTV. The salesperson told me I'll lose some channels keeping the analog TV, but should regain them with an HDTV. I'm guessing it has something to do with analog TVs vs DTVs in general.

If I add a 4th HDTV, then the price will increase $7 due to adding another Joey.

If I add a 5th TV, then that's another Joey and a $7 increase, plus $100 because I would have to have another Hopper due to my setup having more than 4 TVs. Personally, I'm not worried about that. I would just probably split a tuner to a 5th or 6th TV to save on cost. The main thing I like about the Hopper is the ability to record multiple programs at once.

The big kicker is install/tech fees. I'm not a new customer, so I don't get that for free. I would have to pay $100 for the Hopper, then $95 to have it installed by a Dish tech. So because of that, I'm holding for now.

Minus that $195 fee, I would only be looking at about $8-$9 more for 4 HD/DVR service.

That probably doesn't answer many questions, but maybe gives you guys an idea.

"The Hoppa"
"The Hoppa"
"The Hoppa"

Love that commercial. took me a couple of times to figure out what the F they were saying, but then cracked up. The grandma in the basement slays me.

They waved my hundred dollar fee because I'm a 10 year customer. I do have to shell out like $160 for the receivers though...

Back