• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

DIY Amp Stand - Advice Needed

CMonster

I have a pair of short speaker stands that I'd like to convert to amplifier stands. Here's a pic of what I have:
41JTL3k53WL.jpg

Here's a link to the full specs: https://amzn.com/B000OONBZ8.

I'm going to have two hefty amps at the front of the new HT and I'd like to have each on a stand instead of just setting them on the floor. Here's an example of an amp stand to give some idea of what I'm going for, basically I'd need to add a platform to the top of the stands:
PAHA31_34_BLK.jpg

Aside from some recently acquired plasti-dip skillz I wouldn't say I'm the most handy person in the world but I'd like to give this a go. Any thoughts on how to do it? Material to use?

How about granite? Might be able to find scrap pieces that a countertop fabricator can repurpose for you.

How about granite? Might be able to find scrap pieces that a countertop fabricator can repurpose for you.

Hmm, and just glue it on? That'd be pretty easy.

I was originally waaaay over-thinking this so starting this thread has helped. Heck, if granite doesn't work out maybe I could cut down a piece of MDF and find some longer bolts with the same threads as the existing ones to attach it, though that'd take some precision measuring to line up the holes.

Plywood would work - cut it slightly larger than the footprint of the feet on the amplifier. I doubt that your amps weigh more than 100 pounds, so probably 3/4" plywood (or veneer plywood) would work just fine. The main thing is that there is a clear air path from bottom to top for air to flow and cool the heatsinks. The height of the feet on the amp should be sufficient as long as there is not any obstruction like carpet to block the bottom vents through the amp. Its more a matter of the stands / amp not falling over and squashing the cat/dog/kid etc.

My first thought was granite too. I don't think you'll "need" to glue it as the weight of the amp and granite should keep it immobile. If your not comfortable with that you can use construction adhesive to attach the granite to the stand. A third option would be to drill (or have someone else drill) countersunk bolt hole in the granite.

There's a granite place not far from me that advertises its remnants on their website so I'll swing by on Friday to see what they have and $$$.

If that doesn't work out I'll do plywood per @rammisframmis. Either way, I think I'll just use construction adhesive to attach platform to stand.

You'll probably pay the granite yard more to polish the edges than you will for material.

Only because it hasn't yet been mentioned, allow me to throw some glass in the hat.

1/2" or 5/8" or maybe even 3/4" glass with polished beveled edges would give you a clean, modern look that I think you'd like, offer you the support you need and will be extremely inexpensive.

As I've posted on occasion over the years, I use granite slabs under my turntables (and one under my HT projector) in layers separated by thin sheets of that "no-slip" rubber you can buy at any Home Despot. Rock solid and makes a great acoustic isolator.

The granite all came from a kitchen counter place. Walked in one day and asked what they did with the sink cut-outs (which are turntable-sized). The answer was either use them as take-home samples or scrap.

So I paid next to nothing for the material - but as Tom said, a wee bit to have them polish the edges.

I think they'd work great as amp stands. Bet you could simply lay down some of that no-slip rubber on all the contact surfaces, place the slab on top, and then the amp on top of that. Adhesive if you have any doubts.

For a little extra you could get them to cut the slab first to a "perfect" size for your specific amp (ie. with no overhanging edges / line-up with the front, sides, and back of the amps.) That's what I did with the ones I use with my turntables along with some smaller square cast-off pieces that they provided as well.

Jeff

ps. Here's pics of the slab that my PJ normally sits on (it's in the shop for a colour wheel replacement) and the ones under my HT's turntable.

P8160006 (Small).JPG P8160007 (Small).JPG P8160008 (Medium).JPG P8160009 (Medium).JPG

Hey Chuck, will these stands be visible? With the lights down, do you want them to disappear into the dark?

I know you probably though of this, however be careful with reflective surfaces depending on the location of these and your screen.

Wasn't able to make it to the granite place yet but while I have your attention...

I'm trying to figure out a way to allow my wife to sing along to her favorite tunes in the HT. I don't think she'd be that interested in a full-blown karaoke setup - she just likes to play her music and sing. I'd like a solution that's easy to use; thinking just running a Shure dynamic microphone that I already own to the amplifier for the Atmos speakers since it has two line-level inputs (main and override). If I can get that to work, her music will play through the front speakers and her voice will play from the ceiling speakers. I have an XLR-RCA adapter so would that work? Or do I need some sort of mixer that has an input for the microphone and RCA outputs like this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger/L502-5-Channel-Mixer-with-XLR-Mic-Preamp.gc?

You'd need some sort of basic mixer, probably. Most microphone output levels are way lower than standard line level, so it's more than a matter of an adapter - hence the preamp part. Depends on the mic though, check the specs to see what it outputs.

I don't recommend sending a Mic signal straight through a hifi speaker or speakers. Unless you intend to process the mix with a limiter and compressor, it is very likely you will blow the speakers.

A better option would be to buy a small powered PA speaker from guitar center which has a Mic input and you know won't blow from this sort of application. Just set it in a corner somewhere and let her turn it on when she wants to sing. Plus, you could plug in any guitars or electronic drums on party night, should you wish.

Wasn't able to make it to the granite place yet but while I have your attention...

I'm trying to figure out a way to allow my wife to sing along to her favorite tunes in the HT. I don't think she'd be that interested in a full-blown karaoke setup - she just likes to play her music and sing. I'd like a solution that's easy to use; thinking just running a Shure dynamic microphone that I already own to the amplifier for the Atmos speakers since it has two line-level inputs (main and override). If I can get that to work, her music will play through the front speakers and her voice will play from the ceiling speakers. I have an XLR-RCA adapter so would that work? Or do I need some sort of mixer that has an input for the microphone and RCA outputs like this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger/L502-5-Channel-Mixer-with-XLR-Mic-Preamp.gc?
This will be a bit circuitous, but bear with me...

As I think I mentioned elsewhere, I'm hoping to recreate my old late '70s stereo system - almost entirely for nostalgia reasons.

It had four main components: Pioneer receiver and turntable, Bose 301 speakers, and Akai cassette deck. I currently have the receiver and turntable, and a later pair of Bose 301s. I'm considering buying a used cassette deck.

That deck is the Akai GXC-325D. http://www.thevintageknob.org/akai-GXC-325D.html. Here's the circuitous part relating to your post...

The Akai had the great capability of accepting two mics (L/R channels) and mixing them with any stereo line level signal. For some school projects I did a fully-narrated tape that combined all sorts of music etc. I would also use it record people singing over audio tracks - which is the same as doing karaoke (without bothering to actually record) well before karaoke was even a thing. The Akai came equipped with a limiter switch to ensure that the much higher dynamics of most mics would not hurt anything. With a single mic it's easy to plug it into a "Y" adapter and split the signal into two for both channels.

I'm sure that there were other decks of that era that offered similar capabilities. I'm expecting to pay ~$100 for a 325D in great shape; if all you wanted were the mixing capabilities I'm sure one could be had for far less.

Jeff

Back