• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Do you appreciate your sound system what about your lady?

I appreciate my sound system. I don't have a lady so I make up for it and have a second sound system which I also appreciate.

I appreciate my sound system. I don't have a lady so I make up for it and have a second sound system which I also appreciate.
:laughing: Hey man, it's all good, sound systems are a whole lot less complicated them them lady thingies.

That wasn't exactly my questions, but I do appreciate and respect the reply.
To answer your question. My wife has a tin ear and would be happy with the sound coming out of TV speakers. That being said, she has indulged my habit and allowed me to have two 5.1 systems and a 7.1 system so I can't complain.

I had to win her over, but my wife enjoys the system as much as I do. Anything I want to get, she doesn’t mind a bit. But, It probably helps that I’m not a perpetual upgrader – our current receiver is 13 years old and predates HDMI and we’re watching a vintage Pioneer plasma TV.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Nobody here who's heard them have complained that they sounded "obsolete".
FljI.gif

STOP THAT! You're costing me a fortune in paper towels and Windex.

Sorry 'bout that. The point being, speakers are probably the last thing which has undergone fundamental improvement over the decades. What evolution there has been has involved manufacturing methods which allow better quality at lower cost. Some extremely high end speakers which cost up to $100,000 still use pulp-paper for woofer cones, just like the ones invented during the "roaring twenties" when Al Capone was still a thing. Some extremely high end speakers still use horns and compression drivers, just like you'd expect in a movie theater which was playing the new "talkies" movies. Sometimes, literally the very compression drivers from the 1920s....

For your consideration, I offer exhibit A: https://www.stereophile.com/content/auditorium-23-hommage-cinema-loudspeaker

Or this; I have a picture from the late 1920s which shows an almost identical horn setup, but I can't find it on the internet.
0418AXAG.jpg

Some of the details and materials may have changed such as the change from electromagnet field coils to permanent magnets before World War II, but the fundamentals haven't, and probably won't for quite a while (i.e. we will all probably be too dead to see such progress).

And given that HiFi development is not really a priority as a hobby and is getting less so as time goes on, there is not a lot of urgency to develop a fundamentally new technology at all costs. The urgent development now goes into trying to find the Next Big Thing in social media apps.

Last edited:
Back