• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Do you appreciate your sound system what about your lady?

Snake Doctor

I had my amp in for repair so I decided to use the TV's speakers to watch, whatever. There was a hollowness in the room, no music and the sound was incomplete to me. To add insult to injury, my wife said, "I can't really tell any difference, can you? grrrrr

The amp finally came home. I made all of the connections, turned the system on and the room filled with wonderful, controlled sound from all directions. :) Now I have music again, and movies will return, I never take my system for granite, but I am much more appreciative after being without it.

So I was wondering, do you really appreciate your system most all of the time?

One other question, is my wife the only woman in the world that doesn't appreciate great audio?

I had my amp in for repair so I decided to use the TV's speakers to watch, whatever. There was a hollowness in the room, no music and the sound was incomplete to me. To add insult to injury, my wife said, "I can't really tell any difference, can you? grrrrr

The amp finally came home. I made all of the connections, turned the system on and the room filled with wonderful, controlled sound from all directions. :) Now I have music again, and movies will return, I never take my system for granite, but I am much more appreciative after being without it.

So I was wondering, do you really appreciate your system most all of the time?

One other question, is my wife the only woman in the world that doesn't appreciate great audio?

I only listen through sound systems with all three TVs in my house, including the one in my guest room which has a pair of Audio Engine speakers attached to it. Yes, I can totally hear the difference and avoid at all cost poor sound when I have any control over it.

As for women, they are actually more sensitive to sound than men - published studies for nearly a century has proven it. However, if she doesn't give a hoot about the sound quality and only cares to hear the human voice well enough to understand what is being said or sung, then she won't care about the amazing bass and clear treble. In my experience (and from what I've been told by songwriters and producers), women generally care much more about the words and emotions, not the instruments or sound effects. If they can hear the beat and clearly make out the words, they can find great satisfaction from any system. OBVIOUSLY there are exceptions and some women who have learned to listen to more than the basic emotion-driving content can actually recognize more flaws than you ever will. But there is likely a reason the vast majority of audio nerds are men, and it isn't our ability to hear (or maybe it is - perhaps we want the sound to be better to make up for our own limitations).

True story ...
Early in my home theater journey my wife gave me a hard time about all the money I was spending on equipment that she said made no significant difference. One evening while we were watching a movie (LOTR I think) and in the middle of an action scene I switched the audio over to the TV speakers. She asked “why’d you do that” and I told her that since it made no difference I thought we should watch the rest of the movie on the TV speakers.

It took less than 10 seconds for her to say “I was wrong, fix it”.

Since then I’ve had a lot more freedom to do as I please with the audio systems.

That was a lot of words to express that my wife does appreciate quality audio. But ... she’s not an enthusiast and she doesn’t sit and listen to music.

Ha! Actually my older daughter surprised me the other day, we were in our rental car (main car is in the shop) and she said, "these speakers really aren't very good." She's right, the sound system in the rental (toyota rav4) is far inferior to my Equinox - which has the upgraded sound option I believe; we got it used so I'm not totally sure.

Even the title of this thread indicates that women are not really into the hobby of HiFi.

My wife has always told me, if I get home and my speakers are gone, so is she ..

Lol love my wife.

I won my wife over by providing great sound for years and now she feels like something is missing when she hears a TV without a sound system. The possible exception would be the very decent speakers in my Sony, but even she agrees a subwoofer would be an improvement. :)

My elder daughter is the real disappointment. After growing up in a house with excellent gear, her response is "meh" and she is just as happy watching stuff on her boyfriend's TV with no external speakers.

I don't do any tweaking of my system without my wife's ear and opinion. She hears things I cant. Shes also very supportive of the hobby. She yelled at me for going cheap on my new speakers. She likes them but knows i wanted more. After my daughter graduates I'll have my time.

I am very appreciative of our systems and my wife, whom has supported me and my illness since she met me back in 1988!

Well, both of my wives demanded a "decent stereo system" in their divorce agreements. I was happy to oblige since that was probably the only positive impact I had on them.

Well, both of my wives demanded a "decent stereo system" in their divorce agreements.

See! That's why you want a woman who is absolutely clueless about audio. Hell, they'd probably settle for a cheap transistor radio from RadioShack.

I'm going to send my daughter out the door with some kind of system that doesn't sound like crap.

I'm going to send my daughter out the door with some kind of system that doesn't sound like crap.
Hard as it is to believe, but to most people, especially younger people, "good sound" is a Bluetooth speaker or worse. Then again, I don't give a rat's ass about any aspect of cars, car culture, car engines or anything else related to cars so I can see how most people could care less about a niche thing like audio.

When I first got my speakers, my wife said "even I can tell a big difference". So yesterday I was watching a movie and the sound was great, then I realized I wasn't being fair to my lady. We seldom watch movies together, mostly she likes Gray's, House Hunters, Scandal and a couple of more shows, but those are TV shows that really doesn't produce the sound to drive my system. When you are watching those shows I can better understand what she is saying. You have to have the right shows to push your system.

Now for me music is another discussion.

Back