• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dual Format discs

Dentman

I went on a shopping spree at Amazon for some concert Blu-ray discs yesterday. I noticed that several of the discs I was interested in were only available in either dual format or standard DVD. What's up with these discs? They are not true "Blu-ray" right? How good is the picture quality? Please someone school me on these new, to me discs.

I bought 3 Blu-ray concert discs, they arrive tomorrow. Can't wait, these will be my first Blu-ray discs.

Are you sure they don't just mean two separate discs in the package - one bluray and one dvd? I've never heard of anything like an actual dual-format single disc.

I've never heard of anything like an actual dual-format single disc.
Do you own any Gordon Goodwin albums? They are exactly “Dual Format” discs with one side being 2-channel stereo and the other side being multichannel.

That said, I’ve never seen a Dual Format blu-ray.

I went on a shopping spree at Amazon for some concert Blu-ray discs yesterday. I noticed that several of the discs I was interested in were only available in either dual format or standard DVD. What's up with these discs? They are not true "Blu-ray" right? How good is the picture quality? Please someone school me on these new, to me discs.

I bought 3 Blu-ray concert discs, they arrive tomorrow. Can't wait, these will be my first Blu-ray discs.

Yeah, I've seen dual format BluRay discs, but as far as I know I haven't purchased one. The original spec has a backward compatibility standard where there would be one layer which was compliant to DVD standards and then multiple layers beneath the first could be BD compliant. The idea was that modern BD players needed to be capable of reading multiple layers on BDs in order to achieve higher capacity, so they made it possible for the first layer to work with any DVD or BD player then the deeper layers would be all BD for BD players.

Whatever the case, in theory you shouldn't know the difference. If you put a dual format disc in a BD player it should automagically play the BD layer(s) and if you put it in a DVD player it should natively play the DVD layer.

Back