• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Emotiva amps

Cant help but wonder why amps from Adcom and Rotel are getting no love. Is there something I should know?
I had an RMB1075 that worked great. Sold it when I had to shelve my system. New stuff of theirs is pricey. I am looking at used though

Cant help but wonder why amps from Adcom and Rotel are getting no love. Is there something I should know?

Adcom amps are fine, but they completely changed the model for distribution and sales. If you look at their website, they charge approximately the same as the mainstream Parasound products yet only have a handful of USA dealers. One can buy direct from Adcom, which might be great, but they just aren't in our face like they were back when our generation was shopping for separates. They are nowhere near the size they once were. I am sure they are fine products and would never tell anyone not to get one for any reason other than I don't know them as well as other brands.

Rotel got a bit proud of their amps and started charging quite a bit more for similar performance from other brands. I also remember a string of bad experiences which took place when B&W and Rotel were sold as "matched solutions" by their dealers where amps were failing, and in a few cases damaging the speakers they were connected to. Between the higher price, the year (or so) of terrible quality problems, then the blind arrogance which too many naïve audiophiles declared them the only amp one should ever use with a B&W speaker no matter what, rational people lost interest in them. They are still perfectly fine amps with all the same caveats I have for Adcom.

Really, there are lots of good options, but I think we all tend to pick a couple of brands we really like and trust based on our own experiences and tend to repeat those recommendations. B&K is a good example, for awhile they were the best deal out there for separates, but then their low quality parts and reliability issues killed them in this hobby.

So, if you can get a good deal on Adcom or Rotel or Anthem or Yamaha or Marantz or Onkyo or Parasound or Bryston or Monolith or any of the high quality, reliable, good performing, amps out there, then go for it.

If you ask me, I still recommend what I know best - Parasound, Monolith, and Marantz.

They sure do like their pricing (expensive). I would love to but man some are crazy high
Yes they are expensive......NEW!!! I have 3 Bryston amps. ALL are USED!! I have had all 3 for a decade . If you are cheap like me and don't mind taking a risk on used you can get some good deals. Apparently there are crazy audio guys out there who like to upgrade their gear?!!!! Besides Craigslist and Facebook Market as Flint mentioned you could look at the spinoff from Canuckaudiomart, I believe its called USAudiomart.
Mike

Audiogon doesn't totally suck. Reverb isn't terrible, either, but they focus on musical gear.

Thanks for the replies. With things like Amps I tend to only shop used so I've never actually tried to buy a new Adcom or Rotel. I know the older models were both well known for being bullet proof. No clue on new stuff.

B&K is a good example, for awhile they were the best deal out there for separates, but then their low quality parts and reliability issues killed them in this hobby.
B&K is now an ATI company, and I hear it from good sources that they have some absolutely brilliant people doing the design work now.

Back