• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

European Cinema - part trois

f*ck.

I hate this computer. I hate my work computer as much as i hate work at times. ive completely created a wonderful review on a movie i recently watched, and included some links, videos etc... all for nothing. F*cking piece of sh*t computer reminds me of the days of er... the other place.

anyways.

In a nutshell, i recently got to watch MicMacs, from the director and producter of Amelie and Delicatessen, and im proud to say i love this movie, definitely worth the rental via Netflix (sorry folks, not streaming)...

Three things i can say about this flick

1. you will love the characters.
2. there is ONE scene here that will, er... quickly remind you of our passion for sound. :)
3. you will love this movie. :)

Love a good revenge movie, a little heist here and there, some oddball characters, then this is a film for you.

micmacsposter1.jpg

as ive underlined in the recent posting,

This movie reminded me why i love watching european cinema, and have the opportunities to taste delectable visual treats, without fear, without judgement. I truly enjoyed this movie.

Time to cut and paste, just in case....

Looks cool, I've put it at the top of my queue.

jomari,

Thanks for the heads up. I saw the trailer a while back and forgot all about it. Will seek out a copy ASAP. I love all their movies.

Monkey

its available on netflix, again, there is ONE scene i hope that you can catch that made me fall in love with it... you will know what it is.

On a sidenote, i remembered seeing this one too, called Lebanon

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1483831/

semms to be a 'submarine' patterend movie, but this time, set inside a tank.

That alone is enough premises for me to watch this one. The trailers on MicMacs...

lebanon-movie11.jpg

Looks cool. I scored MicMacs on BluRay on the way home at Best Buy... last copy. Will watch it this weekend and report back.

Monkey

you know im good when it comes to a solid.

this is definitely worth it.

how much did you score it tho? i didnt know it was available stateside.

Best Buy has been pretty good with BluRay pricing lately. I have been able to score many newer and desirable titles for $10-$15. But for whatever reason as soon as it comes to anything with subtitles/foreign language they seem to hit me for nearly full MSRP. So I bit the bullet and paid $29 for this one. Amazon had it for $22 but after shipping it would be pretty close so I didn't bother. Plus I want to watch it ASAP so I didn't want to wait for shipping. Best Buy must know that geeks like me will shell out MSRP for hard to find titles like this one... probably through market research, etc.

Monkey

Hot Monkey said:
Amazon had it for $22 but after shipping it would be pretty close so I didn't bother. Plus I want to watch it ASAP so I didn't want to wait for shipping.

Monkey

Amazon + Prime membership = mucho movies at a good price and free 2 day shipping (even if you just order one movie).

Hot Monkey said:
Best Buy has been pretty good with BluRay pricing lately. I have been able to score many newer and desirable titles for $10-$15. But for whatever reason as soon as it comes to anything with subtitles/foreign language they seem to hit me for nearly full MSRP. So I bit the bullet and paid $29 for this one. Amazon had it for $22 but after shipping it would be pretty close so I didn't bother. Plus I want to watch it ASAP so I didn't want to wait for shipping. Best Buy must know that geeks like me will shell out MSRP for hard to find titles like this one... probably through market research, etc.

Monkey

ouch. full msrp.

well, for what its worth, i am going 100% on my recommendation. definitely worth it. both audio and visual treats.

oh, regarding amazon prime, touche' on that one. me, gf and gf's sister, split that cost of 79 mentioned, and get a good deal especially since i buy almost everything i can from amazon.

i love no tax, free 2 day shipping, release day deliveries etc.

i still have love for my local outlets. i have to buy fruits somewhere. ;)

Had to work late last night so we will be watching it tonight. Work work work. Don't these people know I am behind on my movie watching?

Monkey

i am dying to hear your feedback on this one. :)

anyways, its a long weekend, more than enough time for you unless you start 'runnin away' from it... :D

Jomari,

Just wrapped up MicMacs with some friends after dinner. Everyone loved it. Another whackey visual feast from Jean-Pierre Jeunet. A little darker in spots then his last two... brings me back to Delicatessen. In fact did you catch the brief but direct reference to Delicatessen in MicMacs? I won't give it away in case you have not seen Delicatessen... but I caught it and got a laugh out of it. Also did you lose count of how many MicMacs movie posters and advertisements were scattered through the film on buildings, billboards, etc.? That was pretty funny... promoting a film within a film. Interesting that Jeunet did not use his favorite cinematographer Darius Khondji for the camera work in MicMacs. I guess his style has become so established and copied by now that it's practically like the default cinematography in films like this. Khondji raised the bar and created all kinds of new and original perspectives with Delicatessen. He was then tapped for some American films of note (Se7en) and copied by countless others.

Thanks again for the heads up. And I saw the trailer for Lebanon on the MicMacs BluRay. That'll be next on the Euro list as soon as I can get a copy.

Off to bed. 12 mile run at 6:45am.

:teasing-tease:

Monkey

Oh and I almost forgot to acknowledge the surround sound/LFE moment in this film. The weapons factory explosion was tremendous.

Monkey

so, my question is, did you enjoy the movie?

did you also get my reference to the scene i was mentioning earlier? hehehe.

anyways, im glad you liked it.

for the others, id suggest getting this one on blu-ray.

DEFINITELY WORTH IT.

Been looking forward to Mesrine ever since I saw the trailer a while back. I am a big fan of Vincent Cassel.

Monkey

since we have a gazillion smilies available,

:banana-dance: Mesrine is available on Netflix streaming, in FRENCH with Subtitles!!! :banana-rock:
Thank god they respected this enough not to dub it. (albeit audio showing 'english', it is indeed in French.

I will watch this later on tonight with you in mind. :D

jomari said:

Jomari, thank you thank you! This was one of the most entertaining and unusual movies I've seen in a long time. I absolutely loved it!

My only problem is that with the subtitles, it's sometimes hard to follow all the on-screen action. So I've ordered my own copy so I can watch it again. :happy-smileygiantred:

Back