• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Every Beginning Comes from Some Other Beginning's End

yromj said:
What do you guys do w/ your wine, whiskey, and whisky corks?
Babs has a friend at work who collects them so we typically save them for her but only from meaningless wines. For instance, last year I was gifted a bottle of Caymus 40 for my 50th birthday. Its cork resides in a single cork holder on a patio accent table.

Zing said:
For instance, last year I was gifted a bottle of Caymus 40 for my 50th birthday. Its cork resides in a single cork holder on a patio accent table.

:handgestures-thumbup:

yromj said:
What do you guys do w/ your wine, whiskey, and whisky corks? I've saved most of mine over the past couple of years thinking that I would find something to do w/ them in my next room. An idea is starting to form, but I'll need some more. If you don't keep them for your own uses, and have some place you can easily keep them, I would appreciate them.

Thanks,

John
I've got about 2 cu. ft. of them. I intend to bandsaw them all in half the long way (so I have half-cylinders, or split mushroom cap/stems in the case of the champagne corks) then hot-glue them onto the door to my wine cellar in an interesting pattern. I'd like to make a large "B" in the center with the champagne corks and then fill in the background with the rectangular wine corks, but I doubt I have enough champagne corks to pull it off.
I also have about a 16" stack of old AOL CD's, intending to glue them up in pairs, shiny-side out, and decorate a Christmas tree with them (plus a smattering of twinkle lights to make them stand out). That remains yet another Post-It idea in my cranium along with a dusty pile of junk in my house. Plus, I haven't had a holiday tree in over 3 decades.
:roll:

CMonster said:
Zing said:
For instance, last year I was gifted a bottle of Caymus 40 for my 50th birthday. Its cork resides in a single cork holder on a patio accent table.

:handgestures-thumbup:
Agreed!
We had a retired Navy Captain and his wife in my winetasting club, their wine cellar was as big as my living room, completely full and 3/4 Caymus. They had discovered the winery before the critics had, and really stocked up while stationed on the CA coast. Fortunately, no one turned them in when they moved it all to utard.
They hosted a "vertical" tasting, 5 Caymus cabs, all different years. One of the finest nights of my life, glad I got to experience it once. :handgestures-thumbup:

Botch said:
yromj said:
What do you guys do w/ your wine, whiskey, and whisky corks? I've saved most of mine over the past couple of years thinking that I would find something to do w/ them in my next room. An idea is starting to form, but I'll need some more. If you don't keep them for your own uses, and have some place you can easily keep them, I would appreciate them.

Thanks,

John
I've got about 2 cu. ft. of them. I intend to bandsaw them all in half the long way (so I have half-cylinders, or split mushroom cap/stems in the case of the champagne corks) then hot-glue them onto the door to my wine cellar in an interesting pattern. I'd like to make a large "B" in the center with the champagne corks and then fill in the background with the rectangular wine corks, but I doubt I have enough champagne corks to pull it off.
I also have about a 16" stack of old AOL CD's, intending to glue them up in pairs, shiny-side out, and decorate a Christmas tree with them (plus a smattering of twinkle lights to make them stand out). That remains yet another Post-It idea in my cranium along with a dusty pile of junk in my house. Plus, I haven't had a holiday tree in over 3 decades.
:roll:

When you start doing arts and crafts on your wine cellar, you're in serious fear of losing your man card. Just sayin. :teasing-neener:

I used to save them thinking I'd make use of them. I never did and decided a few months ago to toss them all. Once I start drinking wine again I'll start saving them for you.

I keep a small collection of used port corks (that have plastic rims, the idea being that with most ports you can keep sipping from an already-opened bottle for a number of weeks, so they've made it easy to keep using the cork), which make excellent short-term stoppers for partly-consumed bottles of wine. My only problem is that I almost never have any partly-consumed bottles of wine to use them with! :)

However I have had the occasional scotch cork dry out and fail, and port corks make a good replacement.

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
My only problem is that I almost never have any partly-consumed bottles of wine to use them with! :)

Jeff

c4aed8719c04fffe1a9ae56e32798fd0.jpg

;)

Huey said:
When you start doing arts and crafts on your wine cellar, you're in serious fear of losing your man card. Just sayin. :teasing-neener:
For once, I'll respectfully disagree with you, Huey.
A winecellar door covered with old corks would be cool as 'ell!
And did I mention my 3/4-hp Delta bandsaw?? :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

Botch said:
Huey said:
For once, I'll respectfully disagree with you, Huey.
A winecellar door covered with old corks would be cool as 'ell!
And did I mention my 3/4-hp Delta bandsaw?? :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

Are you going to use a glue gun? It's arts and crafts. :eek:bscene-buttred:

Towen7 said:
...Once I start drinking wine again I'll start saving them for you.

What about Bourbon or Scotch? Those are fine, too, in fact they're preferred.

John

Congrats John, I know it's been a source of stress and frustration. Like everyone else, I'm anxious to see what you come up with when the inevitable HT goes under construction.

yromj said:
Towen7 said:

I'll clarify ... Once I start drinking any alcohol again, I'll send them to you.

Towen7 said:
yromj said:
Towen7 said:

I'll clarify ... Once I start drinking any alcohol again, I'll send them to you.

So we're talking, what, 4...4:30?

John

Batman said:
Congrats John, I know it's been a source of stress and frustration. Like everyone else, I'm anxious to see what you come up with when the inevitable HT goes under construction.

Thanks man. Keep an out in the night sky for the Bat symbol...

John

Back