• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Favor for a Chinese man

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
Okay... many of you know I have a job where I am supposed to be a leader, a mentor, a strategist, and so on. People have to respect me not because I deserve it, but because my title does.

Well, I am going to China tomorrow and one of the people I work with and mentor over there has asked me a favor. He asked me to pick up a pair of Beats Mixr cans in White. Now think about it, you guys all know how I feel about those headphones. I want to do him better for less money. But he is a mentee, and nice guy, and living under a somewhat repressive government which makes it hard for him to succeed beyond making a living wage for him and his family. This is a big deal to him. He wants me to bring him some "kick ass headphones" from America which cost more than he makes in a week. I imagine he has really saved up for these waiting for the moment I, or one of my half-dozen globally travelling peers, comes to China.

I am going to do it, but damn! I want to educate him, but damn!

Wish me luck and hope that I don't blow it and say something stupid.

Bring two pairs and keep the receipts. Educate him and let him chose which pair he prefers.

If I were in your shoes and all things being equal, I'd bring him the Beats he asked for and - out of the goodness of my heart - I'd also gift him the cans I wanted him to have. He is, after all, your mentee.

:twocents-mytwocents:

During a whiskey tasting we had last night one thing that became painfully obvious. Perception play a huge role in our enjoyment of things. I feel your pain. But those headphones will also be a status symbol for him. I would say, buy them for him and let him be happy.

Its his dream not yours Id bring him his kicks after all it may be more about a symbol he values more. When your heart is set on something it maybe impossible to change it.

Maximo said:
During a whiskey tasting we had last night one thing that became painfully obvious. Perception play a huge role in our enjoyment of things. I feel your pain. But those headphones will also be a status symbol for him. I would say, buy them for him and let him be happy.

my sentiments exactly you just said it far better than I could.

Zing said:
If I were in your shoes and all things being equal, I'd bring him the Beats he asked for and - out of the goodness of my heart - I'd also gift him the cans I wanted him to have. He is, after all, your mentee.

:twocents-mytwocents:

I agree with Zing......take the time with your mentee and mentor him with regards to the pro's and con's of the 2 sets and leave them both with him.......somehow I am sure that you could find a way to pad your expense report to make up for the cost if you don't want to have the total burden of the cost of the 2 sets.

Just my :twocents-mytwocents:

If he's ask you to procure the, well what ever they are, they're probably hard to come by in China. He has the opportunity to become the coolest dude on the block, and you will be his hero.

Rope

I thought Beats headphones were made in China and could be had there for next to nothing??

D

Doghart said:
I thought Beats headphones were made in China and could be had there for next to nothing??

D

Of course they're made in China and there are also fakes that probably sound just as shitty, also made in China. China. China. China.

I think Monster will stop selling Beats at the end of this year...then Beats will be worth double, no TRIPLE what they cost now...yeah, uh-huh. The trick will be finding a pair that isn't broken already. :laughing-rolling:

Well.... he wanted white ones, but all I could find locally were black. So, he is getting black ones.

I felt like a dork standing at the sales desk at Fry's asking them to search the store and their stock for a pair of White Beats headphones. Ugh... I hope no one I know was there.

He would have never known if you gave him fakes./evil laugh/

Don't go comparing them to K701.

100 bucks to wear them to the mall...50 more if you sing along to no less than 4 rap songs.

Back