• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Finished my Disc-To-Digital Project

I agree I had hundreds of great movies on DVD and didn't want to have to pay (again) to upgrade them all to Bluray. Cost having to pay 2.50 per DVD to upgrade to Bluray quality was a no brainer. The fact that I can also share my collection with five members across the States was another selling point. Now that I know about going to the public library for great movies I don't even own to add to my collection is also great. I recoup most of the conversion fee by selling the DVD's I own for 2.00 to coworkers after I've converted to HDX. Why watch the DVD when I have the HDX version available anywhere at anytime. I've even been able to buy movies that most likely will never ever make it Bluray. I also like that I can buy brand new releases for 5.00 instead of 20.00 for the physical disc taking up space. Studios at times also release digital copies earlier than the Bluray release. I had the HDX version of Captain Phillips a week before disc release for 5.00 that my whole family could enjoy in their own homes.

I just found a new site called uvcodesforsale.com and ordered five movies. I'll let you know how it goes.

I will be very sad when this gravy train sadly and inevitably ends. In the meantime, I'm snapping up the $5 movies while I can.

Haywood just a heads up today they released "Thor The Dark World" on Vudu three weeks earlier than the DVD/ Bluray release on Feb 25th it also comes with some featurettes for 22.00

MatthewB said:
Haywood just a heads up today they released "Thor The Dark World" on Vudu three weeks earlier than the DVD/ Bluray release on Feb 25th it also comes with some featurettes for 22.00

I'll wait to see if I can snag the code cheaper when it comes out on disc.

After buying Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, Mary Poppins, The Fifth Estate, Moonrise Kingdom, Looper, Tower Heist, Moneyball, Seven Psychopaths, The Butler, Runner Runner and White House Down in the last week, my wife scolded me and told me not to buy any more until payday.

Haywood, Thor isn't available for Ultraviolet it's only gonna be a digital copy for iTunes. Forcing you to buy it from Disney. But the Two disc and digital copy is 27.00 on Amazon while on Vudu it's just 22.00

MatthewB said:
Haywood, Thor isn't available for Ultraviolet it's only gonna be a digital copy for iTunes. Forcing you to buy it from Disney. But the Two disc and digital copy is 27.00 on Amazon while on Vudu it's just 22.00

Disney switched over to Digital Copy Plus, which can be redeemed on Amazon, iTunes or Vudu (your choice). I've bought a number of movies that way. I'm assuming that a new release like Thor would be on their newer platform.

I just found out that none of my Marvel movies can be shared on my linked accounts. So Ironman 3, Thor or any others will load on Ultraviolet to be shared with my family members. So when you redeem Thor it will be strictly on your Vudu account and no other. Crap Disney are greedy fuckers.

MatthewB said:
I just found out that none of my Marvel movies can be shared on my linked accounts. So Ironman 3, Thor or any others will load on Ultraviolet to be shared with my family members. So when you redeem Thor it will be strictly on your Vudu account and no other. Crap Disney are greedy fuckers.

I already knew that. Disney is still not part of UltraViolet. What they offer your choice of a Vudu copy, an Amazon copy or an iTunes copy. While I find this vexing, it is less of a problem for me because I use Vudu almost exclusively. I have a similar situation with my seasons of Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and True Blood. They are all Vudu-only. Fortunately, Vudu now allows up to 8 devices per account and that accomodates my four Roku boxes and four tablets.

My Nephew just added 30 more movies including one of my favorites in HDX "Marathon Man" with Dustin Hoffman. Awesome movie. Now up to 819 movies all in HDX except 15

Up to 966 movies as of today. Hopefully when I attend Bats GTG I'll be able to borrow a few more Blurays I don't have from members and add em for 1.00/ea using Jeff's portable Bluray drive. 50% off sale ends June 30th so gotta get as many as I can before the price increase.

Last year I added just over 85 Blurays at. Bats last GTG.

I am bummed, because with all of my relocation stuff, I just don't have the budget to take advantage of the remainder of the d-to-d sale. I did convert every eligible move I owned, but that's all I did. My total collection is now 516 HDX movies and 9 seasons of TV, but I do not have anyone else contributing to the library but me.

The public library costs me the most. I hit the DVD section and an hour later I'm 50.00 bucks lighter.

MatthewB said:
The public library costs me the most. I hit the DVD section and an hour later I'm 50.00 bucks lighter.

I was planning on doing that, but the timing just didn't work out. I am keeping up with new release codes through the usual sites, but I have no budget beyond that until after the dust clears from the move. I'm guessing that will be July or August. I got a great relocation package and signing bonus, but I still have to be careful, because there are so many big ticket things to pay for. Up-front money on my new house rental is $8900. It will cost me $4000 to break my apartment lease in Michigan. Moving estimates are coming in at $6000-7500. Car registration is going to be about $1000, plus driver's licenses. Mandatory training and gun licensing fees will run another $400 or so. I need to buy new bedroom furniture for my daughter, a new dining room table and chairs, a new china cabinet and some storage for the family room, so there goes another $3000-5000 at Ikea. Don't even get me started on the taxes, because half of my expense reimbursements are taxable and I'm already getting clobbered on my bonus. Never before have I seen so much money disappear so quickly, but I suspect I'll come out okay in the end.

My first HT purchase is going to be a Tablo DVR setup and some Power Line Ethernet modules to connect all of my Roku boxes.

The second will be a TV for the new family room. I am going to use the 5 Insignia speakers and Onkyo 605 receiver from my bedroom with a Polk 10" sub, a Roku box and a PS3. I already have an Ikea TV stand, coffee table and love seat and a pretty comfortable recliner from Rooms-to-Go, so I have everything I need to make a nice little secondary system except a display.

Down the road, I am planning to replace all of the bedroom sound systems with Sonos Playbar soundbars paired with Sonos Sub wireless subwoofers. These little systems sound very good for what they are and should be nearly ideal for bedrooms when paired with 32" displays and Roku boxes. This last idea will have to wait, as it is a bit spendy ($700 Playbar + $700 Sub + $400 Display = $1800 per bedroom).

Back