• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Flint Acoustics: Rocketman Loudspeaker (one off build)

Okay... here they are, the final coat of clear gloss polyurethane is on:

Morel3Way_13.jpg
Photo 15: Right upper baffle with final coat of Clear Poly

Morel3Way_14.jpg
Photo 16: Left baffle with final coat of poly

Morel3Way_15.jpg
Photo 17: Another photo of the right speaker baffle

While the polyurethane on top baffles is curing, they need another 36 hours, I completed the following tasks on the original bass cabinets this morning:
  1. Removed the woofers from the cabinets
  2. Hauled downstairs and into my shop
  3. Sanded and touched up and scratches or other blemishes
  4. Cleaned them first with Denatured Alcohol to remove any wax I may have used on them
  5. Cleaned them thoroughly with Mineral Spirits to prep the surface for finishing
  6. Put a smooth coat of Polyurethane on them for the final finish to match the tops
Morel3Way_16.jpg
Photo 18: Rocketman Bass Cabinets in shop after a coat of Polyurethane

Morel3Way_17.jpg
Photo 19: Closeup of a single bass cabinet with the polyurethane drying

Now they are curing in my shop, which is a tad on the cold side so it'll take a bit longer than normal. Once the polyurethane is no longer tacky I have other tasks I need to do in the production of these speakers which will create dust.

These are turning into much nicer looking speakers than I had originally expected. My knowledge and skills in making a furniture-like finish on speakers has vastly improved this year.

Now I am down to the dull, tedious work. While I wait for the polyurethane to dry, I have been:
  • Cutting-off the midrange enclosure ports to spec
  • Manufacturing the port plugs for regular use (removable for satellite use)
  • Doing the metal work for the rear adjustable feet
  • Assembling reliable pads to protect the top of the bass module
I am considering using some of my cotton insulation for damping the midrange enclosure as it would work better when the port is open, but I really love how Acousta-stuff performs for sealed enclosures which is the primary application for this speaker. I will toy around with what I'll do and get to it when the time is right.

Now that the polyurethane is dry, I glued the rear midrange enclosures onto the top baffles:

Morel3Way_18.jpg
Photo 20: I used weights as clamps for this sort of work to protect the finish on the fronts of the baffles

Morel3Way_19.jpg
Photo 21: I had cut a sloppy shallow rabbet for the rear enclosures to fit into and allow for more glue to be applied ensuring no air gaps and more strength.

So the glue is still curing, but it is dry enough to hold the backs on quite well. So, just to see how they look in real life, I placed one of the tops on a bass unit and took a look:

Morel3Way_20.jpg
Photo 22: Side view of the stacked units

Morel3Way_21.jpg
Photo 23: Front of the stacks.

In an attempt to do things properly for sellable speakers, I put a nice black finish on the rear of the top enclosures. Once setup and being used, one would rarely, if ever, look behind the baffle except to satisfy curiosity. But, I like the look.

Morel3Way_22.jpg
Photo 24: The back side of the upper cabinet

Morel3Way_23.jpg
Photo 25: Another view of the back side of the upper cabinet.

I actually like the idea of black on the front of the baffle too.

In an attempt to do things properly for sellable speakers, I put a nice black finish on the rear of the top enclosures. Once setup and being used, one would rarely, if ever, look behind the baffle except to satisfy curiosity. But, I like the look.

View attachment 8615
Photo 24: The back side of the upper cabinet

View attachment 8616
Photo 25: Another view of the back side of the upper cabinet.
Looking bad ass!

While not yet ready for hooking up and amp and trying them out, I did mostly assemble the left channel system for a couple of photos:

Morel3Way_24.jpg
Photo 26: Partially assembled system

Morel3Way_25.jpg
Photo 26: What the finished speaker should look like when completed.

Today I finished wiring the drivers up and the speakers are as close to be done as I can get right now. The midrange drivers are brand new, so I decided it would be fun to measure them, break them in, then measure them again to see how break-in time affects the performance of a new high end driver.

Well. I measured their electrical and acoustical performance then ran quite loud varying test tones through the midrange as well music, news radio, and did a conference call where they served as the speakers in my speakerphone. Then I measured them again and compared the to sets of measurements.

And, the verdict is.....

wait for it....

There is absolutely no difference between the first measurements and those made after 10 hours of burn-in. Now, someone in the audiophile snake-oil world of imagined audio "facts" will tell me that 10 hours wasn't enough and that 48 hours is necessary. Well, if that were true, would there be at least some change between freshly out of the factory packaging and after 10 hours of pretty aggressive usage? In fact, I had mentally prepared myself, should there had been a measurable difference, to continue the burn in period until the last measurements were identical to the previous ones - suggesting no more change was expected.

But, alas, this greatly convinces me that me previous experiences with high end drivers were not unique and that a well engineered, properly manufactured driver won't require a burn in period. I have, however, seen mass produced cheap-ass drivers shift as much as 10% from the initial measurements and those taken after a burn-in period.

So everything is assembled and I hope to start working on the sound soon.

Morel3Way_26.jpg
Photo 27: Finished speakers with amps and crossovers ready for hooking up and initial calibration and listening

Morel3Way_27.jpg
Photo 28: back sides of the top modules with input terminals and adjustable foot.

My plan is to capture electrical and acoustic measurements for potential passive crossover design & development via computer modeling. Then I will use a digital active crossover to model both ideal sound configurations and plausible passive crossover networks (which won't include steep slopes, aggressive EQ, delay settings, or phase adjustments) to see how good they can sound without advanced processing (just a crossover and level setting). I would prefer to sell these as active speakers as I know how amazing that will sound, but not every customer is ready for that.

This is getting exciting as I will soon be hearing what I have created for the first time.

I have to ask we stop making comparisons to products by Wilson Audio. The only technical similarity is really the dual enclosure design.

If we have to make comparisons to other speaker brands, my design philosophies more reflect the pioneering products Dahlquist made than anything from Wilson Audio.

If we have to make comparisons to other speaker brands, my design philosophies more reflect the pioneering products Dahlquist made than anything from Wilson Audio.

My post was intended to poke fun at the passing similarity in appearance. The design is obviously nothing alike.

I used to sell Dahlquist speakers back in 1990. I'd completely forgotten about them, but they sounded good.

It isn't a problem, just got way too many snarky WAMM or Watt/Puppy comparisons on every social media platform I'm on. Wilson is based on solid engineering, so I don't mind, but these aren't really like the Wilsons.

Back