• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

? For the Stereo Headphone Experts

Tee

I have a friend who wants to spend $200 on a nice set of stereo headphones, so what do you guys reccomend?

All of the traditional brands - AKG, Sennheiser, Beyer, etc. - have great models in that price range. I have a preference for AKG and Senn over Beyer or Grado, there are plenty of reasons to like all of them. Pick the design he prefers (on or over ear, open or sealed) and go with that.

I am not a fan of any of the new "beats" brands endorsed by Rappers. While there are far too many new models coming out every day for me to know what suck the least, the dozen or so I've heard at trade shows really blow chunks. They were all very, very bass heavy, midrange shallow, with piercing treble.

I'm not an expert, but I'll share some things that I have experienced as of late.

I own AKG K701's, and have used them for nigh on 2 -3 years. I regard them as neutral and pretty dog-gone realistic, with exceptional midrange, highs, and a rather limited bottom end.

I came across some Denon AH-D5000's, and in doing so, read every thing I could find, leading me to believe they're bottom heavy and lower midrange muddy. I found a mod on Head-Fi/Lawton Auto, referred to as the markl mod. This mod consists of damping the ear cups, back of the driver, and a few other odds and ends, including stuffing the ear pads.

The D5000's are fun to mess with and do provide some good bottom end, a bit light in the midrange and decent highs. The AKG's, on the other hand, are very neutral, accurate, and light bottom ended.

Considering your friends budget, I'd suggest the Denon AH-D2000's, if he/she wants nothing more than a "fun" headphone for non critical listening, although they will need to be modded. On the other side of the tracks , if he/she is a music enthusiast that will settle for nothing less the neutral and accurate headphones, with a stellar midrange, then the AKG's are a no brainer.

Rope

BTW, where the hell you been Tee??? We miss you here!

I have a pair of K701's that he can have. And when I say have, I mean have, not buy. Those are the most worthless POS cans ever made. If he catches me on the right day, I may even pay him to get them out of my house.

Honestly, the only other things related to this hobby that are even close to being as disappointing as those cans are the Quadrophenia CD and Joe Bossonova CDs. :violence-torch:

Lookin' to pick some fights there, Zing? :angelic-green:

Two bottles of KJ Grand Reserve and a Jets win! Forgive me but I was feeling a little fiesty. :happy-smileygiantred:

Thx guys as always for your replies, I sent your thoughts his way. You guys will see more of me as my time permits but def have missed being here.

Zing said:
I have a pair of K701's that he can have. And when I say have, I mean have, not buy. Those are the most worthless POS cans ever made. If he catches me on the right day, I may even pay him to get them out of my house.

If you're serious (and Tee's freind doesn't take them) I'll take them off your hands.

Yesfan70 said:
If you're serious (and Tee's freind doesn't take them) I'll take them off your hands.
No, YOU need to buy some Denons (the D2000 for $200 are just as good as the 5000s and the 7000s). You already have some 701s.

I sold my 701s some time ago, so I no longer have anything except a cheap pair of $20 Sonys.

Back