• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

From Twin 12's to Quad 15's

^^
If it were a SVS 25-31 PC-Plus, I'd be happy to take it off your hands, in fact if anyone runs across one in their virtual travels, please give a shout-out!

Rope

So Mr Zing - you indicated in another post somewhere that you had started to use REW with your mobile pre. Have you had any luck evening out the response of your 2 new subs? How big is your room?

I dabbled with it on a whim one day when I really didn't have the time (or the head) to learn new software. I got through the first couple setup procedures and haven't messed with it since. I've also learned that the minimal gain to just one seating position did in fact come with a negative attribute to the center seating position so I moved the subs back to their toe-in position. This offers pleasing aesthetics (to me) and maximum performance in the center. I can live with it until I can use one of the RTA programs to see what's really going on.

Yeah, you can spend a lot of time analyzing this stuff. When it comes down to it, it's always some kind of a compromise - room appearance &/or WAF vs measured performance vs perceived improvements, etc. But then, it's always interesting to find out what's going on in your room. Hope you get it figured out.

Zing said:
I'm thinking I should've bought larger subs...
Perhaps the time has come...
f62869c8-f28b-44c6-af82-c6d16196da9f.jpg

BTW, does Hulk really have freckles? I didn't know that.

Packham_pear.jpg

DIYer said:
BTW, does Hulk really have freckles? I didn't know that.

Oddly, this is not the first time Hulk and freckles have been discussed at the Audio Annex.

DIYer said:
:eek: 2 1/2 years ago, I totally forgot about that. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=844&start=210#p29304

Being a novice when it comes to comic book characters, I wanted to ask this, was that the creators' intent?

Thanks DIYer for finding the thread!!! ;)

I have become an official comic book fan! Along with the characters, movies, etc.

But, I have not a clue about the freckles remarks???

Thanks again!! :text-+1:

^ I just noticed that you have flipped the Swan upside down???

Please elaborate on this Sir Mr. Zing.....

heeman said:
^ I just noticed that you have flipped the Swan upside down???

Please elaborate on this Sir Mr. Zing.....
I do that from time to time. If I find that things sound a little bright a little too frequently, I'll turn them upside down which seems to decrease the high frequencies and increase the midrange. Then, at some point in the future, I'll find myself thinking things seem a little too dull and I'll flip them again. I'm sure it's related to the particular music I'm listening to at the time.

Towen was here last November and commented that my speakers were a little brighter than he was used to. At that time, the tweets were on top and I've always been sorry I never flipped them while he was here to see if he thought it was "better". Anyway, with all the music I've been listening to lately due to the new subs, I once again found myself longing for a bit more midrange so they've gotten flipped in between the picture posting.

Good eye, by the way, :text-bravo:

Hum..............interesting being that the "norm" not necessarily the right way is to have the tweeter at ear level......

Tom's Mackies or should I say all Mackies are very bright so his comment is interesting to me???? (will I catch shit about this statement)??

I have said it many times that the subjectivness of this hobby will drive us perfectionist to DRINK..... :eek:bscene-drinkingdrunk:

I have not lead onto half the obsessiveness of trying to change things in our new HT. Especially with the recent sub changes.

When push comes to shove.................ah fuck it, I'm not sure..................... :eek:bscene-buttred:

Enjoy Your Weekend..................weather will not be good for the boat here so many hours will be spent in the HT.

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

heeman said:
Hum..............interesting being that the "norm" not necessarily the right way is to have the tweeter at ear level......
When the tweets are on top, they are a little above ear level when seated. When they're on bottom, they're only slightly below seated ear level.

So are you telling me that the speaker stands are not designed to accommodate average height Italian guys sitting in typical High End Home Theater Chairs?

:happy-smileygiantred:

heeman said:
I have said it many times that the subjectivness of this hobby will drive us perfectionist to DRINK..... :eek:bscene-drinkingdrunk:

It happens!!!! :laughing-lettersrofl:

heeman said:
Enjoy Your Weekend..................weather will not be good for the boat here so many hours will be spent in the HT.

And that is awesome, not the weather mind you , but the HT time spent together for you & Barb!!! We have been enjoying the HT to the MAX lately!!!! :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

I mentioned it in the PSA thread, but I'll say it again here - those XS30's are SWEET. We did some movie demo-ing yesterday, and those things can play low and clean. A very nice sound, with serious impact.

A-blast-from-the-past-kinda-BUMP

Had an evening alone Saturday night and decided to play with my SPL meter. I recently disabled the EQ after years of having it enabled and now the only audio adjustment made in my processor is a -2.0dB treble cut using the Tone control. So I thought it was a good night to experiment and recalibrate.

For better or worse, I've always had the mindset that adjusting the trim levels into positive numbers was not a wise sonic move. And because of that (and using amps that weren't too terribly powerful), I've had to calibrate my speakers at 70dB to use a 0dB trim level. Part of my experiment was to calibrate to 80dB to see if I could hear any anomalies. And doing so found my trim levels going up to +6dB. After several minutes of playing source material and slowly increasing the volume, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I couldn't hear any anomalies so I felt comfortable in pushing things a little further.

Armed with some newfound headroom (output) and no one else in the house to disturb, Short Attention Span Theater was officially underway.

Since my SPL meter was nearby, I thought I'd use it to see what kind of listening levels I was achieving which is something I've never done before. Before long I was doing full blown Dolby Reference Level volume and achieving 105dB peaks for the subs. I was more than a little impressed.

Back