• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Goodbye Toshiba - Hello Sony Blu-ray Player

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
The Toshiba Player started to act up yesterday so today I returned it got my money back.

I picked up a Sony BDP S480 at BB for $89.99.

I hope that we have better luck with this one!

I've never owned one (I'm kinda partial to Samsung) but I've always had the impression that Sony players were very solid choices.

Good luck.

Towen7 said:
I've never owned one (I'm kinda partial to Samsung) but I've always had the impression that Sony players were very solid choices.

Good luck.

I had a Samsung 6500 in my hands for $129 but when I saw this Sony for $89 and all the guys here speak highly of the Sony BD Players, I figured go for it!

I remember when most of the folk on this forum were all convinced with would be a decade before we saw good BD players for less than $100.

heeman said:
when I saw this Sony for $89 and all the guys here speak highly of the Sony BD Players, I figured go for it!
That's a great deal! Enjoy. :handgestures-thumbup:

heeman said:
Towen7 said:

Good luck.

I had a Samsung 6500 in my hands for $129 but when I saw this Sony for $89 and all the guys here speak highly of the Sony BD Players, I figured go for it!

Yup! And now you can start an SACD collection. :eusa-whistle:

I have a Sony S550 and it has been flawless since day 1.

Load times are a little slow, but it's an older unit, it's not unbearable.

D

Towen7 said:

Good luck.

T7,

What got you hooked on the Samsung BD Players?

heeman

My first BD player was a Samsung that I bought because it was (IMHO) in the sweet spot for performance the money. I later ended up with a couple of Samsung TVs. Then a little over a year ago I tried an experiment to go without pay TV and Samsung had the only player that could support Hulu+. All of the Samsung products I've owned have worked very well with no problems at all.

To be clear, I've never owned players from other manufacturers so I can't say that Samsung is better or worse overall. It just that I'm comfortable and familiar with the brand and see no compelling reason to not to be. That said, if I were buying my first player and didn't want to shell-out for an Oppo, Sony and Samsung would be at the top of the list.

Well, you guys will not believe this..................

The front bezel on the Sony fell off this AM................YES FELL THE F*&K OFF!!!!!

So off to Best Buy........

Of course they did not have another Sony 480................so

I now have a Samsung BD-D5100 and actually got a $10.86 credit.

Just got done demoing it and it just works fine!!!

Only thing that I will have to get used to is that you can not open the disc draw from the remote?????

You'll have to watch this soon:

Face-Off.jpg

heeman said:
Only thing that I will have to get used to is that you can not open the disc draw from the remote?????
I've always wondered why most other players have a drawer open button on the remote; you still have to get up to change the disk... :geek:

heeman said:
Shall I amend the thread title to read "Goodbye Sony - Hello Samsung Blu-ray Player"? :eusa-whistle: Here's to hoping you have better luck - and ultimately more enjoyment - with this one! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Botch said:
I've always wondered why most other players have a drawer open button on the remote; you still have to get up to change the disk...
This! :text-+1:

Botch said:
You'll have to watch this soon:

Face-Off.jpg

heeman said:
I've always wondered why most other players have a drawer open button on the remote; you still have to get up to change the disk... :geek:

It is funny, I was looking all over the remote and in the owners manual for the Door Open/Closed Button............

All my other players had one..........

But you are right, have to get off the couch to put the disc in and take it out!!

Zing said:
heeman said:
Shall I amend the thread title to read "Goodbye Sony - Hello Samsung Blu-ray Player"? :eusa-whistle: Here's to hoping you have better luck - and ultimately more enjoyment - with this one! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

You could.............how about:

Goodbye Toshiba - Hello/Goodbye Sony - Hello Samsung???

I hope that I am done with the bad luck, because I don't want to spend the cash for an OPPO!!! :scared-eek:

I like having the ability to open the tray from the remote because the eject button on the player can be impossible to find w/o turning in the lights. Assuming I've got a disc ready to go I can keep the lights off. I also can program a universal remote with a macro to open the tray when I switch to the BD player or stop the movie.

Zing said:
heeman said:

Botch said:
I've always wondered why most other players have a drawer open button on the remote; you still have to get up to change the disk...
This! :text-+1:
If you able to "Frisbee" accurately, there's no need to get off the sofa.

The information regarding the absence of an eject/close tray button on remote controls is news to me. I just assumed all BD players and remotes had this feature. If you get up to open the tray and insert a disc, why not push play while there, and why have a remote control?

Rope

Back