• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Google's new "Chromecast" streamer

Kazaam

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=chromecast

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...to-your-tv-3-months-of-free-netflix-included/

The price is certainly intriguing at only $35.

Someday I'll probably retire the PS3, which has been great for streaming video, and just switch to something like this (be it Googles, Apple's, or RoKu's, etc.) Not sure if I fully understand Chromecast, though. Not yet, anyway. Sounds like maybe the Chromecast itself connects to the internet and is doing all the processing (as opposed to your phone/tablet doing the processing and then just beaming it over to the Chromecast.) So the phone/tablet is essentially just being used like a remote control? Is that how you guys read it, too?

Yes, that is essentially it. The phone, tablet or browser just tells the device where to go. There is a lot of buzz over on the Plex Forums. Apparently, the SDK would make it pretty easy to port Plex over to Chromecast. That would make it great for local media and very interesting as a lower cost solution.

Saw this on xlr8yourmac.com this morning; "Google TV Take 2".
I don't know about the others, but what I don't like about my Roku is that it doesn't have a true browser, you can only get things off the net actually formatted for the Roku. This thing sounds like it does, and for $35 I want to try it out; will check if there's a cheep OS X app that runs it first.

My frustration is that I've got a great interface for all of my local media and TV content in Windows Media Center and a great interface for all of my local media and streaming content on my Roku, but there is nothing currently on the market that allows me to get everything on one device in one interface.

I was initially very intrigued by this device, but it doesn't seem to run Hulu Plus or Amazon Instant Video, I could care less about YouTube. Oh well, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before Google brings them on board.

Thats why I really like the Apple TV. Almost any video or video app can be "AirPlayed" to display on the TV.

I figured out how to launch the Windows 8 Netflix app, Hulu Desktop, the Vudu website and the Amazon Instant Video Website from inside Windows Media Center. What a clunky mess compared to the simple elegance of Roku.

WMC had sooooooo much potential and was way ahead of its time. It's really too bad that OEMs didn't take advantage of it. Since OEMs dropped the ball and didn't make inexpensive living room devices developers never had a reason to build on to WMC and turn it into an app platform. It's fantastic for local content but only a small number of people have all that much.

Sadly MS has pretty much abandoned WMC in favor of XBOX branded on-line services.

I wish the Chromecast had an analog audio output. It's not needed on the big system, of course; but I was thinking in terms of attaching to the AUX input on my small Tivoli radio in the bedroom.

Not that I should be expecting everything I want in a $35 dollar device, of course. It's just that Google indicates it somehow works with their Play Music app. And I read somewhere about possibly getting Pandora in the future. Figure since this is a Wi-Fi device that it'd probably sound a bit better than Bluetooth.

Granted, any Bluetooth device will probably always be more flexible in terms of what music services it can play. And, besides, I keep delaying my tablet purchase, which is the only reason why I am even concerned about music streaming in the first place. First I wanted to wait for the 2nd-gen Nexus 7. Now that it's been announced, I see it and love it. But now I've decided to wait for the 2nd-gen Nexus 10 for the bigger screeen.

So given my leisurely shopping pace, maybe I should start hoping for "Chromecast 2". :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :happy-smileygiantred:

wierd part is, i want one, just because i want one. i already have a ps3, a streaming blu-ray player, but also want to get rid of my cable.

i cant do what haywood does. :(

amazons out, any clues if bb still has stock of this?

I pulled this thing up on Amazon, and in their "Customers who have bought this also pair it with..." block, they have a deal where you can buy with a Tide Travel Sink Detergent 3-pack.

Say wha? :think:

jomari said:
wierd part is, i want one, just because i want one. i already have a ps3, a streaming blu-ray player, but also want to get rid of my cable.

i cant do what haywood does. :(

amazons out, any clues if bb still has stock of this?

The BB closest to you has 4 in stock and 52 on order, scheduled to arrive on August 14. The guy at the front door is named Mike. He has a wife and 2 kids, a boy and a girl. Julie works in the TV department and is rather fond of sushi.

Botch said:
I pulled this thing up on Amazon, and in their "Customers who have bought this also pair it with..." block, they have a deal where you can buy with a Tide Travel Sink Detergent 3-pack.

Say wha? :think:

maybe its so they can get free shipping.

Zing said:
jomari said:
any clues if bb still has stock of this?
Go here, click on "Check Stores" and enter your zip code to find out if a store in your area has it available.

Towen7 said:
The BB closest to you has 4 in stock and 52 on order, scheduled to arrive on August 14. The guy at the front door is named Mike. He has a wife and 2 kids, a boy and a girl. Julie works in the TV department and is rather fond of sushi.

Thanks for the help guys. it was a rhetorical question but glad i was able to entertain you.

Towen7 said:
WMC had sooooooo much potential and was way ahead of its time. It's really too bad that OEMs didn't take advantage of it. Since OEMs dropped the ball and didn't make inexpensive living room devices developers never had a reason to build on to WMC and turn it into an app platform. It's fantastic for local content but only a small number of people have all that much.

Sadly MS has pretty much abandoned WMC in favor of XBOX branded on-line services.

I mainly got into it for its DVR capabilities, since I got tired paying huge fees for box rentals from the cable guys and like the flexibility of being able to do what I want with all the copy freely material I record. I found some really slick plug-ins for local media that I love as well. Streaming is where it falls apart. It isn't a huge deal, since my Roku fulfills all of my streaming needs, but it is such a shame that WMC got SO close to being the perfect solution and then just fizzled.

I'm really strange I guess, but the biggest flaw I see is that it's wifi only. I am not a fan of streaming HD video from Netflix etc. via wifi.

John

yromj said:
I'm really strange I guess, but the biggest flaw I see is that it's wifi only. I am not a fan of streaming HD video from Netflix etc. via wifi.

John

^^
THIS!

Rope

yromj said:

John

I've had problems streaming local HD video off of wifi, but I've had no problems with web-based streaming services, as I use dual-band N and that has vastly more bandwidth than my internet connection.

Back