• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Google's new "Chromecast" streamer

Haywood said:
yromj said:
I'm really strange I guess, but the biggest flaw I see is that it's wifi only. I am not a fan of streaming HD video from Netflix etc. via wifi.

John

I've had problems streaming local HD video off of wifi, but I've had no problems with web-based streaming services, as I use dual-band N and that has vastly more bandwidth than my internet connection.
I'm missing something here; I thought "dual-band N" was a form of Wifi??? :think:

Botch said:
Haywood said:
yromj said:
I'm really strange I guess, but the biggest flaw I see is that it's wifi only. I am not a fan of streaming HD video from Netflix etc. via wifi.

John

I've had problems streaming local HD video off of wifi, but I've had no problems with web-based streaming services, as I use dual-band N and that has vastly more bandwidth than my internet connection.
I'm missing something here; I thought "dual-band N" was a form of Wifi??? :think:

It is a form of WiFi and it does have a lot more bandwidth than a broadband connection.

^Right, so once content is handed off from the broadband connection to his wifi, the wifi will handle it no problem. Local content, which probably isn't as compressed, is more of a challenge.

CMonster said:
^Right, so once content is handed off from the broadband connection to his wifi, the wifi will handle it no problem. Local content, which probably isn't as compressed, is more of a challenge.

Exactly. I've never had any problem streaming 1080p content from Netflix, Hulu or even Vudu over my wireless network. Local content over 720p on the other hand, is an entirely different animal. One of my little projects has been to either rip or download copies of a lot of the family movies that I own, so my youngest can have them on demand. Her room has no hard connection, so streaming to her Roku is strictly WiFi. 1080p is just not reliable. Lots of caching issues. 720p works just fine. I find it interesting that local media behaves so much differently than web-based streaming. It must have something to do with the compression used.

:text-link:

Google Chromecast First Impressions and Photos
The easiest way to watch online video on your TV? Not even close

First, it's not a standalone device. To use the Chromecast—to even set up the Chromecast—you need another compatible digital device.

Second, as alluded to above, Chromecast is extremely limited. You can stream content from the Google Play Store, Netflix, and YouTube only.

Third, those pictures where you see this USB-dongle-looking-thing sticking out of the side of an HDTV, creating a clean look? Completely fake. The Chromecast requires a USB-based power cord and, on most TVs, an HDMI extension cable.

chromecast-cables_zpsbcb9179e.jpg

Towen7 said:
:text-link:

Google Chromecast First Impressions and Photos
The easiest way to watch online video on your TV? Not even close

First, it's not a standalone device. To use the Chromecast—to even set up the Chromecast—you need another compatible digital device.

Second, as alluded to above, Chromecast is extremely limited. You can stream content from the Google Play Store, Netflix, and YouTube only.

Third, those pictures where you see this USB-dongle-looking-thing sticking out of the side of an HDTV, creating a clean look? Completely fake. The Chromecast requires a USB-based power cord and, on most TVs, an HDMI extension cable.

chromecast-cables_zpsbcb9179e.jpg

Some of the newer sets support a power-over-hdmi standard, which is how the Roku sticks work. I imagine this is similar.

Got my son one yesterday. So far we love it. Have it plugged into one of the HDMI inputs & USB on the front of our new Yamaha RX-V377. Now my son can access his anime site "Crunchyroll". Still have to set-up Netflex etc. He uses his Galaxy S4 and I just emailed Amazon about when they will have the app for my Kindle. Not bad for $35, got it at Gamestop.

gave one for our cousin and parents in laws.

essentially they love it as a youtube and netflix streaming machine.

youtube for chinese telly series, and my cousins for karaoke.

whats netflix? :happy-smileygiantred:

on a serious note, as long as you know what you are getting, and limit your expectations on that, this is a great gift.

I took mine back. I was hoping to be able to stream the local news from my laptop to the TV (this was when I tried, unsuccessfully, to go straight OTA and internet). It worked, but the picture was jerky and very poor quality.

Back