• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Green Lantern Trailer Released

That trailer was nice. Go ahead and count me as "sold" on this one. Yep, this summer's going to rock!

The only thing I could see getting better is if a Silver Surfer movie was being done to make amends for the last FF4 movie.

3rd and probably the final trailer for GL, enjoy...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvqpNhtopTU[/youtube]

Well I caught this today. I will say WB had me fooled, despite trailers that looked AMAZING and mostly positive buzz, this has been the biggest movie disappointment for me in years. The studio has possibly blown a golden opportunity to truly hit a home run and get a franchise established. But now I fear it may not do well enough to avoid sending the sequel to the shyt-can. It's not Fantastic Four, Ghost-Rider, or Jonah Hex bad, but it's disappointing in the sense that it had a ton of potential to be so much more...I had a suspicion a few weeks back when I learned the running time was only 1:45 throwing up a huge red flag to me. Regardless of my dismay with this one, I don't regret seeing it. In fact if you're a fan of the genre and GL, I think you should see it, you may feel differently, my feelings are based on really high expectations. Perhaps based on the recent success of the Batman franchise and many Marvel films, I felt overly assured that WB just wouldn't drop the ball with what hopefully will still develop into a respectable series of films...Dammit! :angry-banghead:

I saw it last night with a buddy of mine who is a big, big GL fan. He said B-. I'd give it a C, maybe C+.
DC is failing. Their new VP has decided to cancel some titles and the remaining titles, 52, will be rebooted. Everything will be starting back to issue #1. The fan boys are already up in arms. In fact my DC friend is about to switch to Marvel. Too which I made a, come to the dark side, joke.

I really think the director was in over his head on the movie. Peter Sarsgaard was the best one in the movie.

V

^ I'm not really a DC guy or a Marvel guy. I'm a Batman guy, plain and simple. Although I always want to see the genre do well. I really wanted to see GL become a hit at the box-office. I don't think it will have legs at all except for some kids that want to see it a couple times before it comes out on disc, but I don't see people coming out and telling others to see it...Again, I'm just really disappointed.

I went and saw this movie last weekend (was hoping to see Thor, but it's already gone). I thought it was much better than I was expecting.

I'm not a huge fan of the DC characters. I like them, but not near as well as those from Marvel. Green Lantern is one that I thought was always cool and the movie was pretty good. I guess in the next one, Senestro becomes the bad guy that I remembered from the cartoon. I never knew he was a good guy at one time.

EDIT: Oh yeah. I love that Jeep that Hal's buddy drives in the movie. That's going to be my next ride when that new V6 comes out (MY '12).

It's been 24 hours since I've seen the movie. I've had two nice dinners and really fine bordeaux in the interim.

The summary: Blows chunks. Whoever wrote the screenplay should be shot - no blndfold, no cigarette.

This apparently is the Emerald Dawn reboot of 89-90, which is Hal Jordan as an immature screwup who gets this power ring and has to grow up in a hurry. Every action/adventure movie should start with an action scene. Look at all the early Bond movies, Indiana Jones, the first Star Wars. The mythos is that an alien crash lands on earth, fatally wounded, and has to pass on his mantle. That's your first scene. The opening scene can introduce the yellow impurity. The ring can answer questions. Let it tell part of the story and it's the easiest way to get to the Green Lantern in the adjacent space sector - Tomar Re. And that's how Hal Jordan gets to OA - his known universe and the audience's keeps expanding.

Other comments:
There is no reason to have Hector Hammond or Parallax in here at all

The Guardians look feeble and stupid

The Carol/Hal relationship didn't have any real foundation, but I can overlook that.

The CGI was good

Most of the GL actions scenes were pretty stupid

Sector 2312 can't be anywhere near the Milky Way in a universe that has over a million galaxies.

Sinestro is completely out of position. He doesn't go yellow until Emerald Dawn II, which ends with a trial of Sinestro and his expulsion from the corps.

The final scene was nice (overlooking jets in outer space), but not enough to overcome the rest of the work.

zod said:
Sector 2312 can't be anywhere near the Milky Way in a universe that has over a million galaxies.

Technically correct (since "over" is anything more than) but a better approximation (in the immortal words or Carl Sagan) would be "billions and billions."

A Wiki source claims there are 80 billion galaxies in the observable universe, meaning that the actual total may be many times higher than that.

It seems likely to me that if "life" were to be present elsewhere than on Earth, and if that life is intelligent, then any "contact" between us and that other life would be more likely to occur between neighbouring galaxies - but would almost certainly be limited to our own galaxy. Of course the only real possibility of contact will be through remote sensing means, and two-way communications would likely be impossible.

(Imagine that we were lucky enough to detect a signal from a location only 5,000 light years away from Earth. That's within the Milky Way and very close to us, galaxy-wise. If we were to send a signal to them, and assuming they responded as soon as they received it, it would take 10,000 years to hear back from them. That's about the total number of years since the beginning of the Neolithic Age (which is essentially the start of civilization - depending on how you define it). Any chance there would be anyone around either interested in, or capable of, receiving the reply?)

Sorry to mix science with science fiction / fantasy. But if we ignore the physics / science involved, then in fact there's no reason to limit an "alien" source to any locale in the universe. Really good science fiction needs a foundation that's at least plausible (in a quasi-science sort of way.) But it need not necessarily respect the laws of physics etc. It just needs to be entertaining. Sounds like this movie wasn't very.

JeffMackwood said:
(Imagine that we were lucky enough to detect a signal from a location only 5,000 light years away from Earth. That's within the Milky Way and very close to us, galaxy-wise. If we were to send a signal to them, and assuming they responded as soon as they received it, it would take 10,000 years to hear back from them. That's about the total number of years since the beginning of the Neolithic Age (which is essentially the start of civilization - depending on how you define it). Any chance there would be anyone around either interested in, or capable of, receiving the reply?)
That's if there is no signal that can travel faster than light. We don't know that for sure.

JeffMackwood said:
Any chance there would be anyone around either interested in, or capable of, receiving the reply?
Heck, I can't even play back my 10-year old floppy disks... :?

DIYer said:
JeffMackwood said:
That's if there is no signal that can travel faster than light. We don't know that for sure.
The electro-magnetic spectrum is a small part of the universe. We sure don't know much about gravity.

Then there is the little jewel that the galaxies that are are farthest away appear to be moving faster than the speed of light away from us.

Last shuttle launch tomorrow at 10 EDT, weather permitting.

zod said:
DIYer said:
JeffMackwood said:
The electro-magnetic spectrum is a small part of the universe. We sure don't know much about gravity.

Then there is the little jewel that the galaxies that are are farthest away appear to be moving faster than the speed of light away from us.

Last shuttle launch tomorrow at 10 EDT, weather permitting.

Zod,

We know everything about gravity - by far the weakest of the "four forces."

While the speed of light is fixed, the universe has been and is expanding faster than the speed of light. Therefore the distance between objects in the universe can be increasing faster than the speed of light - especially those farthest away from us. But light still travels at a fixed maximum speed. No mystery there.

DIYer,

I partially agree, but in the case of my original statement (the ability to communicate) I disagree. I'll explain.

It has been demonstrated that if an electron pair is separated, changes to one electron will be instantaneously felt by the other. This is known as "quantum entanglement." It has been performed experimentally. So yes a "signal" of some sort could travel faster than the speed of light. But (and this is just an example to illustrate a point) you would first need to prepare a source of electron pairs, separate them, and then transport (at far far less than the speed of light) them to whoever (or whatever) you wished to communicate with. Would be like you having a pair of walky talkies set to communicate only with each other. You'd need to share one for them to be of any use.

I think that Botch "got" my point.

Not wanting to start a debate on this. But I would say that there are countless great science books out there for the reading on such matters. Lawrence Kraus and Michio Kaku are two authors who do a great job of reducing it to a form that most people should be able to understand.

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
Zod,
We know everything about gravity - by far the weakest of the "four forces."

Jeff
Jeff,
We can agree to disagree. According Einstein's General Relativity, there should be gravity waves. So far, they reamain undetectable. The gravity force particle has not found yet either. There are theories as to its mass and other properties, but they remain theories. My point, is that are some very large fundamental gaps in our ourstanding of gravity. Gaps that don't exist for the other forces.

JeffMackwood said:
DIYer,

I partially agree, but in the case of my original statement (the ability to communicate) I disagree. I'll explain.

It has been demonstrated that if an electron pair is separated, changes to one electron will be instantaneously felt by the other. This is known as "quantum entanglement." It has been performed experimentally. So yes a "signal" of some sort could travel faster than the speed of light. But (and this is just an example to illustrate a point) you would first need to prepare a source of electron pairs, separate them, and then transport (at far far less than the speed of light) them to whoever (or whatever) you wished to communicate with. Would be like you having a pair of walky talkies set to communicate only with each other. You'd need to share one for them to be of any use.
I don't know the details of the theory but while watching Star Trek years ago, I heard a term "subspace transmission". Many things we use today were only imaginations couple hundred years ago so I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

Ever watch Ancient Aliens on History Channel? Very intriguing stuff (to me at least).

Botch said:
Heck, I can't even play back my 10-year old floppy disks... :?
I think that Botch "got" my point.
But someone else can play it and I'm sure it's not hard to find one (quite possibly wearing thick glasses and carries a calculator in the shirt pocket) near by.

JeffMackwood said:
That's if there is no signal that can travel faster than light. We don't know that for sure.[/quote]

Last shuttle launch tomorrow at 10 EDT, weather permitting.[/quote]

Not wanting to start a debate on this. But I would say that there are countless great science books out there for the reading on such matters. Lawrence Kraus and Michio Kaku are two authors who do a great job of reducing it to a form that most people should be able to understand.

Jeff[/quote]

Why not? Most of this stuff is over my head, but think most of us enjoy talking about quantum physics and space travel. Is Michio Kaku the japanese guy that is on a lot of science shows? If he is the same guy I am thinking of, I lost a little respect for him when he stated that "rocket" off the coast of California last year was a jet. Might not be the guy I'm thinking of though.

Guys, just a reminder, please preview before posting especially when quoting someone, cuz it can be very confusing if not quoted right. Thanks.

DIYer said:
Guys, just a reminder, please preview before posting especially when quoting someone, cuz it can be very confusing if not quoted right. Thanks.

Oh, come on,you can read it, you big wussy! :eek:bscene-buttred: The problem starts when there is more than one quote, and it gets screwed up from there.

Huey said:
.....Is Michio Kaku the japanese guy that is on a lot of science shows? If he is the same guy I am thinking of, I lost a little respect for him when he stated that "rocket" off the coast of California last year was a jet. Might not be the guy I'm thinking of though.

White haired guy on Science Channel? If so, then yes that is the same guy. I love it when he's on a lot of the astronomy shoes and agree he's very good at breaking it down for simple minded folks (like myself) to understand. Another guy I like is Neil Tyson.

Maybe we should start a new thread about space travel?

Back