• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Green Lantern Trailer Released

Yesfan70 said:
Huey said:
.....Is Michio Kaku the japanese guy that is on a lot of science shows? If he is the same guy I am thinking of, I lost a little respect for him when he stated that "rocket" off the coast of California last year was a jet. Might not be the guy I'm thinking of though.

White haired guy on Science Channel? If so, then yes that is the same guy. I love it when he's on a lot of the astronomy shoes and agree he's very good at breaking it down for simple minded folks (like myself) to understand. Another guy I like is Neil Tyson.

Maybe we should start a new thread about space travel?
This would be a good way to start it: http://blog.ted.com/2011/05/05/distant-time-and-the-hint-of-a-multiverse-sean-carroll-on-ted-com/

It's sort of mind blowing. Why is it that you remember the past and not the future?

Huey said:
Why not? Most of this stuff is over my head, but think most of us enjoy talking about quantum physics and space travel. Is Michio Kaku the japanese guy that is on a lot of science shows? If he is the same guy I am thinking of, I lost a little respect for him when he stated that "rocket" off the coast of California last year was a jet. Might not be the guy I'm thinking of though.

As far as I know he's American.

Lawrence Krauss (sorry I spelled it wrong in my original post) is American as well, but interestingly enough (at least to me) he did his undergrad degree at the same Canadian university where I did mine - albeit a few years before me.

JeffMackwood said:
Zod,

We know everything about gravity

Jeff

I'm always a bit suspicious when someone says "we know everything about ..."

Probably the most over used and inaccurate statement ever.

Pope: "Galileo we know everything about God's universe put that telescope thing down and shut up"

"Don't worry we know everything about nuclear reactors and that earthquake isn't a problem, it's completely safe."

:laughing:

JeffMackwood said:

Lawrence Krauss (sorry I spelled it wrong in my original post) is American as well, but interestingly enough (at least to me) he did his undergrad degree at the same Canadian university where I did mine - albeit a few years before me.
This is the only part of the thread that has made me feel uncomfortable. I don't see why Jeff should identify national origin of any scientist. And maybe, it's just me that thought there was an anti-Canuck flavor over at S&V.

I'm sort of a gnarly kind of guy, but I do it on my terms not some goofy prejudice.

Carry on, gentlemen.

zod said:
JeffMackwood said:

This is the only part of the thread that has made me feel uncomfortable. I don't see why Jeff should identify national origin of any scientist. And maybe, it's just me that thought there was an anti-Canuck flavor over at S&V.

I'm sort of a gnarly kind of guy, but I do it on my terms not some goofy prejudice.

Carry on, gentlemen.

If this is directed at me, I meant no disrespect to someone's nationality. I only mentioned his race, is because he looks Japanese, and I wanted to make sure we were talking about the same guy, not because I think he is any less of a person for being Japanese. On the other hand, since when did naming someones nationality become racist?

Huey said:
zod said:
JeffMackwood said:

Carry on, gentlemen.

If this is directed at me, I meant no disrespect to someone's nationality. I only mentioned his race, is because he looks Japanese, and I wanted to make sure we were talking about the same guy, not because I think he is any less of a person for being Japanese. On the other hand, since when did naming someones nationality become racist?
Definitely, not you. You were just describing the guy for purposes of identification. Maybe I'm just seeing things that aren't there, but it looked like Jeff was going out of his way to identify Americans. Tell me I'm nuts and I'll shut up.

zod said:
Definitely, not you. You were just describing the guy for purposes of identification. Maybe I'm just seeing things that aren't there, but it looked like Jeff was going out of his way to identify Americans. Tell me I'm nuts and I'll shut up.

I think you've misinterpreted the remark. Huey said something about the guy being "Japanese", I would think due to his Asian features, and Jeff was just pointing out he was an American. Nothing sinister there.

mzpro5 said:
zod said:

I think you've misinterpreted the remark. Huey said something about the guy being "Japanese", I would think due to his Asian features, and Jeff was just pointing out he was an American. Nothing sinister there.

Correct.

I was giving credit where credit is due: two of my most highly-recommended science writers are American. Not Japanese. Not Canadian.

If praising Americans has become a bad thing then I'll stop if it's bothering people.

For the record (and I've said this before) my alll time favourite "science" writer was also American: Stephan Jay Gould. Actually he's my favourite author, period. Hope nobody's nose gets out of joint for me saying so.

Jeff

ps. My favourite science fiction author is Canadian: Robert Sawyer.

mzpro5 said:
zod said:

I agree with Mzpro, nothing sinister on anyone's part. It's all good. Now if we want to start picking on the French and what little they have contributed to science and aeronautics, then I'm all for it! :happy-smileygiantred:

Huey said:
mzpro5 said:
zod said:

I agree with Mzpro, nothing sinister on anyone's part. It's all good. Now if we want to start picking on the French and what little they have contributed to science and aeronautics, then I'm all for it! :happy-smileygiantred:

While I'm no particular fan of any particular country when it comes to science, technology, and engineering accomplishments (although I am off course proud of the ones that can be attributed to my own native land), Curie, Becquerel, Descartes, and Pasteur come immediately to mind when the French are mentionned; the first two primarlily because of my past connection with the nuclear industry.

While I would be hard pressed to name someone French who I would connect to aeronautics (from a historical perspective) my current work brings me in contact with many French aerospace engineers who are quite impressive.

But again I'm not judging this on a country-by-country basis.

I tend to be negatively impressed by countries / people / societies who do not value science, technology, and engineering, and I'm sure we can all easily name names if called upon to do so.

Jeff

ps. Huey: I know you said what you said in jest. Not trying to bust you for it. Just gave me a chance to chime in with my own opinion. Would love to discuss this subject with you, and any other member, in person at a GTG or meet-up.

JeffMackwood said:
While I'm no particular fan of any particular country when it comes to science, technology, and engineering accomplishments (although I am off course proud of the ones that can be attributed to my own native land), Curie, Becquerel, Descartes, and Pasteur come immediately to mind when the French are mentionned; the first two primarlily because of my past connection with the nuclear industry.
OK, so I'm totally off base. Just call me Lefty. Sorry Jeff.

However, I must admit the after conversation was very nice. I'm not really bummed that there is no gravitational field theory. That might the right clue for the next breakthru. It was ~200 yrs between Newton and Einstein. If you divide that in half due to more scientists, we're getting due for something big. I'm pretty sure it won't be the Higgs boson.

JeffMackwood said:
While I would be hard pressed to name someone French who I would connect to aeronautics (from a historical perspective) my current work brings me in contact with many French aerospace engineers who are quite impressive.
Octave Chanute.
(I coulda swore Lilienthal was also French, but a quick check revealed he is in fact German, my bad)
Remember too that it was French and British engineers who brought the only commercial supersonic airliner to the market... ;)

Jeff, I'm glad you saw the humor in it, I tried to think of the country that has least contributed to space exploration, and the French were the first to come to mind.

I use to love reading about everything related to space exploration, but sadly the last ten years, life and kids have taken a priority. I could learn so much from yourself, as well as others, that I would struggle to digest it all. Doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss it though, and look forward to learning more.

Huey said:
Jeff, I'm glad you saw the humor in it, I tried to think of the country that has least contributed to space exploration, and the French were the first to come to mind.

What a bunch of hooey!!

You just don't like the French.

Bet you are still eating "freedom fries".

mzpro5 said:
Huey said:

What a bunch of hooey!!

You just don't like the French.

Bet you are still eating "freedom fries".

I don't hate the cheese eating surrender monkeys, actually I'm quite fond of their kissing technique! :D

Just saw this movie and man I want the last two hours of my life back. That movie reached a whole new level of suckdom. Which is sad cause Green Lantern is my favorite superhero and I like Ryan Reynolds as an actor, but all the special effects in the world couldn't save this turkey of a movie.

Last night we started to watch this shitty move and turned it off after about 1 hour. It was on the Free Starz Weekend on DirecTV.

I hope no one paid to see this one???

What's funny is that this was the inflight movie they were playing when traveling to Towens and I thought that there were many on board who most likely we were hoping for a plane crash rather than see the rest of that piece of crap movie. Needless to say I took a nap.

Btw the best scifi writer was Arthur C Clarke hands down.

Back