• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Gurus ...please advise

Vinyl

The old Parasound Transport is now only reading 50% of CD’s – The old Parasound D/AC features 20 bit Ultra Analog 20400A dual digital filter to analog converter - what do you suggest I should be considering in new Transport or all in one player with digital out? Have D/AC chips changed significantly in the last ten years? To muddy the waters a little your thoughts on tube players please.

You got TEN YEARS out of a CD player?!?!?! Buy Another One!!!!

When I was in a similar situation , I solved several problems at once and bought an OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition universal player. Sounds great and plays all formats.

Vinyl said:
The old Parasound Transport is now only reading 50% of CD’s – The old Parasound D/AC features 20 bit Ultra Analog 20400A dual digital filter to analog converter - what do you suggest I should be considering in new Transport or all in one player with digital out? Have D/AC chips changed significantly in the last ten years? To muddy the waters a little your thoughts on tube players please.

If you're going to use the digital out, the player's DACs don't matter. The player's DACs only come into play if you're going to use the player's analog outs.

I would recommend picking up a CD changer. They're fairly inexpensive and I like a dedicated CD player over a blu-ray player because it's easier to operate w/o a display.

John

Hi John ... the present D/AC reads HDCD which I like – hence a digital out in player is required – I do agree with dedicated player for the same reason you described – soundhound recommendation is a good one however it would be a waste since it wouldn’t be utilized for HT or HI-REZ.

Vinyl said:
Hi John ... the present D/AC reads HDCD which I like – hence a digital out in player is required – I do agree with dedicated player for the same reason you described – soundhound recommendation is a good one however it would be a waste since it wouldn’t be utilized for HT or HI-REZ.

If you're using the digital output, the DACs (Digital to Analog Converters) aren't being used, though.

John

All you need is a transport?

I'd look for a used Marantz or Sony transport - something reliable rather than "esoteric".

John ... I need to elaborate – I have two players connected to D/AC – one is the Parasound Transport connection (AES/EBU) via digital out to D/AC digital in – the other is stand alone player –stand alone is connected via analog outputs on D/AC *PLUS* digital output from stand alone connection to D/AC’s (coax) input to decode HDCD.

Flint said:
All you need is a transport?

I'd look for a used Marantz or Sony transport - something reliable rather than "esoteric".

You're probably right.

Can you talk about my description of connections (above post) – am I clear or confusing the issue (again)?

Too complicated for me. I use one player for everything and it sounds perfect to me.

There are some great classic transports out there.

Flint said:
Too complicated for me. I use one player for everything and it sounds perfect to me.

There are some great classic transports out there.

Amazing how it gets all confusing :) Happy Birthday anyway.

I'm a little confused, too. Vinyl, what exactly is the component path you've got? Disc player -> DAC -> amp? And an analog connection from Disc player -> amp or what? Which part is broken, the player or the DAC? Is this for your planar 2-channel rig?

Seems your choices for quality analog output are either to get a player with good analolg outs (e.g. Oppo), or any cheapo player with digital outs and a good standalone DAC. My guess is you could go either way for similar $$.

smiley-face2.gif

I’m going TGIF thread now ...Christopher Columbus!

Just got off the phone with Parasound service – tech believes it’s a tracking motor problem not the laser assembly so in it goes for service.

Vinyl said:
Just got off the phone with Parasound service – tech believes it’s a tracking motor problem not the laser assembly so in it goes for service.
If the estimate is more than $100, I would say just buy a new cd player.

DIYer ... this is Canada $100 will buy you ham and cheese - tech's guess estimate closer to $200 - I don't want to split up the Parasound pair unless absolute - the pair originally were $4000 and still hold up today - then again...OOPS...I forgot....most here subscribe to all CD players sound alike.

Back