• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Halt and Catch Fire

mcad64

Is nobody else watching this show? I find it quite entertaining. The personal PC business in the early 80's. It is on Sunday nights on AMC, in Canada. Its no Madmen or Breaking Bad, but compared to a lot of the dreck that passes for TV entertainment its pretty good.

I'm a few weeks behind on it.

I'm still unsure about it. None of the characters are really all that likable (the only one that doesn't disgust me on some level is Donna, Gordon's wife). The pace also seems kinda slow. I agree that it isn't going to be anywhere close to MM or BB, but heck, it's orders of magnitude better than all this reality show crap.

I enjoyed season 1 of this show, but I binge watched it. Season 2 starts at the end of the month. I'm excited for it.

Just a reminder for those interested. This Sunday, May 31 at 10 Eastern is the start of Season 2 of "Halt and Catch Fire " on AMC.
Mike

Another reminder for anyone who cares. The third season of Halt and Catch Fire started last week.

I really enjoy this show. I have a feeling this will be the last season though. Hopefully it is a well written season.

I watched it and I enjoyed it.

That was my era... I lived through all of those technology moments the way most people live through sporting events while growing up. I couldn't get enough news and stories about the startups, technologies, moves by the big players, and so on while that was happening. And I was lucky to have a father who was also into it and bought many of the products that were being released in those days so I could play with them. Obviously, the writers have to stray from perfect history to tell their stories, but the concepts and competitors are right on the money, but that doesn't take too much away from the nostalgia I feel for the era.

I've been watching it, but not that reliably. I finally finished the first season off Netflix a few months ago but haven't gone that much into the second yet.

Really enjoying this season. All 3 seasons start out a little slow but really pick up a good pace by the mid point. Anyone else still watching and enjoying this show?

My wife and I binged our way through the first season and are now on the second, but at a slower pace. Great show.

When I was 15, my father gave me an IBM Portable PC. I had no idea at the time that it was a several thousand dollar machine. The reason he gave it to me was that he could not put enough memory in it to run his spreadsheets. I was enthralled. I bought and installed an 8087 math co-processor, upped the memory to 576k, installed a serial port and added a mouse, a CGA monitor and a Star NX-10 dot-matrix printer. I used that machine for almost six years before moving up to a 386 in college, then to a Pentium 60 in 1995 and a Pentium 133 in 1996. After that, it was all AMD for awhile before returning to Intel with a Core 2 Duo.

ppc1.jpg

Line of the night though...Gordon is at Joe's apartment and he picks up what is obviously an expensive piece of art and says "Nice Vase, Donna and I have the same one, Pier One right?!! Ha!!

Last edited:
AMC announced that the 4th season will be the last. Honestly, I am surprised we got 4 seasons. It's the best show that no one is watching. I love it but the ratings are shit. Season 3 finale was pretty great. Season 4 should deliver.

Anyone else enjoy the music score for this show? Kind of reminds me of the Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross score for The Social Network. Some of it reminds me of the Tangerine Dream music from Risky Business.

I just started season 2 on netflix. I didn't really notice the music score of the show until season 2 and I agree it has been good.

I am watching season three of this and the stands is good, but the concerns I had in season two are getting worse. They are insisting on touching every single thing that occurred in the 1980s. It is frustrating.

I am watching season three of this and the stands is good, but the concerns I had in season two are getting worse. They are insisting on touching every single thing that occurred in the 1980s. It is frustrating.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The show is great but it's kind of hard to overlook the ridiculousness that the same small group of people had a hand in all these major technological successes. But I do still enjoy the show. Looking forward to the last season.

Back