• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Headphone amp - Fiio E6

I was going to post a review of the E6 tonight. I bought one with a cable from amazon for 20 dollars but didn't get to test it out for an extended period until today.

I used it to improve the output of my laptop while flying to Las Vegas from Dallas. It workede perfectly and sounded ideal with my Shure E535 IEMs. I love this little thing.

I believe that amp is very popular at Head-Fi. I haven't been reading that forum for several weeks but I recall a few good reviews of it. I had an older FiiO that I got free with some IEMs.

I recommend buying an inexpensive DAC/amp combo for use with a computer instead of using the headphone output...something like the FiiO E7 or the NuForce. At least if using a good IEM or full size can, cheap powered speakers maybe not.

I was going to post a review of the E6 tonight. I bought one with a cable from amazon for 20 dollars but didn't get to test it out for an extended period until today.

I used it to improve the output of my laptop while flying to Las Vegas from Dallas. It workede perfectly and sounded ideal with my Shure E535 IEMs. I love this little thing.

flint, which one was it? was it the one i linked, or the other one for $24 something? my only caveat is i prefer ordering from amazon, if not fulfilled by it with a better 'score' so to speak.

GreatDane said:
I recommend buying an inexpensive DAC/amp combo for use with a computer instead of using the headphone output...something like the FiiO E7 or the NuForce. At least if using a good IEM or full size can, cheap powered speakers maybe not.

So, for cheap powered speakers, it wouldnt work too well dane?

I primarily also want to use it with my cellphone (yes yes, i know), on the way home listening to some el cheapo headphones (not necessarily closed types, or the iem's), but my good ol cheapo ones.

Will it help?

I wish i can say id love to purchase something like your nuforce, or the E7, but its a damn expensive investment. i can justify it if i travelled to LA as i used to back in my day. Nowadays, my communte is around 20-30 minutes, thus the el cheapo price.

I bought mine from Amazon. I was going to buy the one you linked to and clicked on the Fiio brand link and found the same amp bundled with a cable for $20. So I got the lower priced deal.

I wanted the amp alone for its portability and ease of use on airplanes. The amp clips on my shirt on my chest and is easy to manage. I love it, and it makes the builtin soundcard on my laptop sound very significantly better when driving headphones.

Flint said:
I bought mine from Amazon. I was going to buy the one you linked to and clicked on the Fiio brand link and found the same amp bundled with a cable for $20. So I got the lower priced deal.

I wanted the amp alone for its portability and ease of use on airplanes. The amp clips on my shirt on my chest and is easy to manage. I love it, and it makes the builtin soundcard on my laptop sound very significantly better when driving headphones.

I cant find it Flint... link if ever?

*sigh*

anyways, how did it 'sound' so to speak? its not like its going to matter much since i have garbage headphones... i cant go iem nor closed headphones because im walking at times, and wouldnt want my pleaasures of listening be abruptly stopped by me slamming a car or what not.

I finally got time to look it up, but I couldn't find it. Looking at my past orders, it cannot find that product I purchased anymore - must have been a special.

Still, I love my little headphone amp for what I got it for - specifically to improve the headphone performance from the built-in sound card in my corp assigned laptop.

Flint said:
I finally got time to look it up, but I couldn't find it. Looking at my past orders, it cannot find that product I purchased anymore - must have been a special.

Still, I love my little headphone amp for what I got it for - specifically to improve the headphone performance from the built-in sound card in my corp assigned laptop.

Thanks for checking for me flint, i appreciate diggin in deeper to find it via your orders even...

crap. one thing i hate about amazon is, when you see a good deal, and think you should get it later on, it disappears.

anyways, im really thinking of getting it. its my 'been good lately' gift... :happy-smileygiantred:

Thanks again flint.

When I first got the little amp, I tested it connected to my Dell Streak smartphone. It sounded pretty much identical to the built in output, but it had more gain for higher listening levels with all the headphones I tested.

These were my last 2 DAC/amp purchases. Both are excellent but expensive. $500 on top, $365 on bottom(I still have the XM5)

2957844140044175878S600x600Q85.jpg

Flint might remember this one...

1470695322044175878S600x600Q85.jpg

GreatDane said:
jomari,

You shouldn't be using any amp in between your computer and a powered speaker.

i was going to use it between my cellphone/mp3 player and my computer speakers...

does that work?

i was also primarily going to use it on my commute home.

If your cell phone didn't have enough voltage output to allow the computer speakers to get loud enough, the additional amp would probably help. Normally it's not a good thing to add a second stage of amplification in between the source and powered speaker.

estimated arrival is on friday!

thanks guys!

will test out my first headphone amp!

i dont know what to expect, but i hope this isnt going to throw me into the rabbit hole.

Dayuum!

I got it today!

Im pretty busy at work but man, i gotta say respect!

quickly opened it, despite seeing the 'plastic box' it was in, clearly showed it wasnt new, but reaching in it - everything seems okay. no fingerprints or anything on the contents.

moving forward, pulled out the connectors, the new amp and it was pretty much dead out of the box. no charge i mean. plugged it in my adapter,and viola. purple light. i kept on following the instructions, where it should show a red light, blue light etc, but found it not changing. stoopid me, i saw it on the back side of the unit. continued on and connected it to my cellphone.

found my barrys theme 64kbps and man! this thing made it sound like 256kbps!

kidding aside, played my barrys theme (although mp3 at 320kbps), WITHOUT my amp connected and well, normal...

Connected it without changing anything, added the amp, and voila. nothing again. volume was down low, so started slowly and tried to gauge it a bit. lowered my speaker volume then cranked it up on the amp. tried to 'click' my way through to find the middle point. determined. Cranked my computer speaker at almost regular settings...

Like listening to tubes. :music-listening: i finally understand great dane.

Okay, so i followed this guys review on it on amazon, crudely describing the eq settings.

No LED was nice.
Red was painful (too much bass!)
Blue was nice. (actually my favorite)
Purple was okay, not my favorite for now but doable.

I love this thing. :happy-smileygiantred:

I will get back to you folks later on when i try it with my sens headphones dane told me to get years ago, and give you a heads up on the experience. so far, its an amazing amp.

Listen, i hope y'all dont compare my findings to flints, because quite frankly i cant afford greatness. i also dont have his magical ears. the moment he comes to san jose i will. lastly, i have a crude, crude sense of a budget as well as experience with things headphone natured. so take it with a grain of salt, heck call me mr. morton if you want.

GreatDane said:
If your cell phone didn't have enough voltage output to allow the computer speakers to get loud enough, the additional amp would probably help.

I kinda figured that out today, using the amp didnt necessarily help out, besides, its not like i can crank it out here at work anyways.

Normally it's not a good thing to add a second stage of amplification in between the source and powered speaker.

Yeah, i immediately thought of my older 80's days of adding an tape deck->amplifier->equalizer->amplifier->speakers didnt work well. yup. its louder, but cant appreciate jack.

Lets play some linda ronstadt blue bayou! :music-listening:

Keep us posted. Wonder how it works with my Sansa clip and/or my son's phone ?

after a couple of hours with it, i had to turn down the speakers.

man, my computer speakers (logitech z-140 http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-970264-0403-X-140-2-0-Speakers/dp/B000IF4788) sound much fuller, and sounds great. :music-listening:

am i cheating? sure i am. i couldve used my cellphones internal equalizer to try to get something as good as this, but at higher volumes probably, almost turned all the way up.

this ones nicer.

i hate you great dane. i hate you with all my heart right now. what more when i plug this in with my senscans...

Barney - get it. trust me. i dont know jack on headphone amps, but at this price, its a steal. heck throw me in jail kinda steal. :happy-smileygiantred:

hey, great to see you're enjoying the new toy. Anything that doesn't break the bank and adds fun is a sure win.

That second amp that I posted was my first portable amp from 6 years ago. It's the PA2V2 (Pocket Amp v2) that Gary Ali still produces. I think he's made 5K or is it 8K of them so far...not sure but that's crazy. I made the custom metal clip that you see it in. Flint bought it. I wish I still had it...along with the other dozen portable amps since then. Beware.

What's that Carpenters song, something like you've only just begun? :twisted:

Rope

GreatDane said:
hey, great to see you're enjoying the new toy. Anything that doesn't break the bank and adds fun is a sure win.

That second amp that I posted was my first portable amp from 6 years ago. It's the PA2V2 (Pocket Amp v2) that Gary Ali still produces. I think he's made 5K or is it 8K of them so far...not sure but that's crazy. I made the custom metal clip that you see it in. Flint bought it. I wish I still had it...along with the other dozen portable amps since then. Beware.

you sure are right with not breaking the bank. as much as ive always learned in the hobby, the initial money you spend on a mediocre crap product, could be treated as an investment in a mid-level item. not saying this is crap, but im very happy with this amp.

Rope said:
What's that Carpenters song, something like you've only just begun? :twisted:

Rope

yeah... i wish i had that file in my cellphone right now. and my sens cans.

Thanks again dane and flint, this is sure as hell a great way to listen to music. :music-listening:

Back