• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Heeman - Dedicated HT Room?

Converted to a PDF and that extension is not allowed either...... :angry-tappingfoot:

Oh, it is 12PM, time for a beer!

Think i know what you are saying but maybe Take a screenshot and post it as an image.

Hey - I have an idea. Why don't you email me the file and I'll open it, capture a screenshot, crop, upload it to my Photobucket account and then post it on the forum. Oh wait... :eusa-whistle:

ScreenShot2012-09-30at11142PM.png

Sorry this untrained guy doesn't know how to take a screen shot, however Zing has now posted the room with a jog in it.

I also just sent him the room that is 11 x 23 ish. Remember that the dept is almost unlimited at this point.

This is your last free surrogate post. Zing gots to get paid. :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

ScreenShot2012-09-30at13330PM.png

Well that one didn't come out quite right, however I am sure that we can picture a rectangle 11' x 23.5'????

heeman said:
Well that one didn't come out quite right, however I am sure that we can picture a rectangle 11' x 23.5'????
Cut me some slack! You're creating these things in MS Excel on a Windows PC and sending them to a guy without Excel on his iMac. I don't think I'm doing too badly. :violence-torch:

Zing said:
Considering this is right up his alley, Flint has been suspiciously absent in this thread. Until he chimes in with his knowledge of proper room ratios, I'll say that you should likely be guided by prime numbers. An 11-foot width is a good start. So your length should be 17, 19 or 23 feet. The height is going to be a stickler because in keeping with the prime number theory, you'd then want a 7-foot ceiling.

As for the jog, I'm certain that will impact the sound, I'm just not certain to what degree nor whether it will be a positive or negative impact. If you have to have it, I might suggest rounding the outside corners. I don't mean a 1-inch radius bullnose either. I'm talking 6 or 8-inch hand-made radius.

It would be great if Flint would contribute here.

re: the "jog" diagram - positioning the Right Surround speaker might be a problem if there's a jog in the right wall by the seating area. What type of surround speakers will you use? Monopole/dipole/? I'd suggest that you go with a rectangular shape instead.

My two cents is that the "jog" makes the room awkward and will cause more problems than it fixes. If it were my build I'd avoid it.

Zing said:
Considering this is right up his alley, Flint has been suspiciously absent in this thread. Until he chimes in with his knowledge of proper room ratios, I'll say that you should likely be guided by prime numbers. An 11-foot width is a good start. So your length should be 17, 19 or 23 feet. The height is going to be a stickler because in keeping with the prime number theory, you'd then want a 7-foot ceiling.

I think it's best to avoid dimensions that are (or almost are) even multiples of each other. So maybe 8 x 11 x 19 would be a good choice. Having said that, you could alternatively build the "jog" plan but fill in the extra width with shelves/eqpt/storage/etc - in effect giving you 8x11x19 usable floor space.

Yes, the jog does introduce a challenge with respect to the right surround speaker placement, however does open up the front portion quite a bit. The surrounds being used are Paradigm Studio 20's V.1.

Keeping the room a pure rectangle at 11' x 20 something (yet to be determined) is the most cost effective solutions.

Orbison said:
Zing said:

I think it's best to avoid dimensions that are (or almost are) even multiples of each other. So maybe 8 x 11 x 19 would be a good choice.

I will need much more depth than 19" if we are to store media in the room, which is our desire. So we are thinking about 23.5' in depth.

Orbison said:
Zing said:

I think it's best to avoid dimensions that are (or almost are) even multiples of each other. So maybe 8 x 11 x 19 would be a good choice. Having said that, you could alternatively build the "jog" plan but fill in the extra width with shelves/eqpt/storage/etc - in effect giving you 8x11x19 usable floor space.
That is indeed best, hence my mention of prime numbers.

Zing said:
Orbison said:
Zing said:

That is indeed best, hence my mention of prime numbers.

I suggested a 19' length because 17' and 23' are close to multiples of the 8' and 11' dimensions. GMTA.

Using the http://www.realtraps.com/modecalc.htm

It looks like the best option for room length around the length that we want to make the room is 24'. The lengths around 24' in .5' increments have a less desirable mode profile than the 24'.

Does this calculator have any "real" meaning???

Back