• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Heeman - Dedicated HT Room?

Looking forward t seeing some progress :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Alright my friend. Just be sure the wall you plan to remove isn't a support wall for your roof/rafters.

Its sad to see contractors can't even be easy enough to work with, before the work starts! Is there a building boom in your area (I know its really on the upswing in the central U.S.)?

Barney said:
Alright my friend. Just be sure the wall you plan to remove isn't a support wall for your roof/rafters.

The main wall that needs to be moved is a supporting wall, have already consulted with a structural engineer and two; 2x10's with 1/2" plywood sandwiched between will carry the load over the 12/5' span with no issues.

Thanks for the heads up Barney!

Good luck Heeman, looking forward to seeing you make some progress. contractors are more often than not, a giant pain in the butt.

Botch said:
Its sad to see contractors can't even be easy enough to work with, before the work starts! Is there a building boom in your area (I know its really on the upswing in the central U.S.)?

Hey Botch, I think the main issue was that the scope of the project was too small. The original was about 150 sq ft with no plumbing work. Quotes were coming in at over $75/sq ft which did not fit my budget nor did I think that it was reasonable. Down here you can build a moderate home for $68 which includes Kitchen and Baths, etc.

With our current solution we sacrifice a large Laundry Utility Room for an okay sized HT!!! Oh yea, and save a ton of cash..

Construction down here right now I would say is moderate.

Randy said:
Good luck Heeman, looking forward to seeing you make some progress. contractors are more often than not, a giant pain in the butt.

Agreed about the contractors and subs being a pain in the butt, I only have myself to blame when things go wrong and/or off schedule, however I can be extremely hard on myself.

Made great progress so far with de-construction, I will try to post pics later.

Should have plumbing and electric complete for the Washer/Dryer move by the end of this coming up weekend!

I have seen it time and time again, where contractors, or many other self employed service oriented contractors, bitch because there is no work and when you call them they dont show up.

Randy said:
I have seen it time and time again, where contractors, or many other self employed service oriented contractors, bitch because there is no work and when you call them they dont show up.

Randy, down here...a guy will drive around & pick-up all the "workers" he needs for a job. Problem is, they don't speak English & may not do quality work....here today, gone tomorrow.

Randy said:
My particular problem, and its happened twice with plumbers, twice with the carpet cleaners, and once with the carpet installers, is that they call at the last minute and say "One of our prime accounts called with an order, so when would you like to reschedule?" This after I've scheduled, and used up half, of a Vacation day.
:angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
I can't believe the gall. :angry-banghead:
I now make it a point before scheduling an appointment to ASK THEM what they'll do if their "prime account" calls with an emergency, if they claim they'd never cancel my appointment then I schedule, AND ask for the person's full name who's scheduling the appointment. So far, no problems.

^^ I warn my private car owner referrals (opposed to pre-owned dealers) that if one of my dealers calls with an emergency that I WILL reschedule to another time/date. May seem like bad business, but those referrals are a VERY small % of my business and I can't afford to put accounts that give me hundreds of cars/month at risk for a little cash. Of course I'm more of a wholesale provider and don't advertise for retail business, so most referrals understand I'm shoehorning them into my schedule to begin with...

Batman said:
^^ I warn my private car owner referrals (opposed to pre-owned dealers) that if one of my dealers calls with an emergency that I WILL reschedule to another time/date. May seem like bad business, but those referrals are a VERY small % of my business and I can't afford to put accounts that give me hundreds of cars/month at risk for a little cash. Of course I'm more of a wholesale provider and don't advertise for retail business, so most referrals understand I'm shoehorning them into my schedule to begin with...

Sounds like a SMART business strategy and giving your private car owner customers a "heads up" is a certain respect that most don't give or even think about :text-bravo:

Okay, I am officially one week into the renovation work.

Plumbing is complete for the relocation of Washing Machine.
Wire is run from the Breaker Panel to the new location of Washing Machine, will hook up once the wall is framed.
Electric for the Dryer is run connected and working.

For This Week:
Pick out new flooring for new Laundry/Bathroom area.
Install Dryer Vent through wall, there is brick involved.
Relocate Ceiling light to be centered in the new Laundry Area.
Remove the door to the office to be re-used for the HT entrance.
Begin Framing Bathroom wall and rear HT wall.

This is the utility room/laundry room; 11x12.5 including half bath that will be remodeled to be 6x12.5. Various shots, hard to get the complete room in. I built the white cabinet under the window back in 2002 and was a real bitch to take out.

renoht018_zpsa72ea9b5.jpg

renoht019_zps1fbe6a65.jpg

renoht022_zps8ccf06b6.jpg

renoht017_zps312e8dd6.jpg

Demolition and Plumbing:

renoht023_zps9fd2d66e.jpg

renoht025_zpsec4be251.jpg

ht2003_zpsa4209c09.jpg

The Bathroom wall with the pocket door had to be moved out approx. 10" and the pocked door moved over about 8" to fit the washer and dryer.

The washer and dryer are both moved to new location. Dryer vent is next.........

I haven't been this excited about something since 2009 when we bought the boat!!!

All this work and still no way near close to working on the "Theater" yet, well maybe in about 2- 3 weeks.

Progress continues:

Dryer Vent complete
Moved Ceiling light
Disconnect Power to other ceiling light
Remove all base molding
Rip out floor
Disconnect AC Supply In Ceiling (turns out it is right in the middle of the new wall)
Install 2 new AC Supplies in the Ceiling (1 in the laundry room, 1 in the HT. The HT now has 2)

Framing will begin this week.

Working in the attic really, really sucks!

How many reminders does one need, that in a thread like this pics are MANDATORY. :eusa-whistle: if you take a light switch wall plate off we want to see it. :eek:bscene-buttred:

Back