• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Help Haywood Find a New Display

From what I have read, the Samsung JS8500 series is also edge lit and does not have full local dimming either, which puts it squarely in the HDR Lite category as well. The Sony has a wider viewing angle, which is nice. Both sets can have issues with backlight bleeding and banding. It appears to be a bit of a lottery in terms of whether you get a good set or one with issues, so I probably want to buy this at a brick and mortar where I can return it. I need to go look at these sets in person at this point to decide whether the picture is substantially different between them. The 65" version of the Sony is $2000, the 65" Samsung is $2500 and the 75" Sony is $3000. All things being equally, I will happily pay an extra $500 for the bigger screen.

Based on reviews, the Sony is the best set for watching movies and TV shows in a darkened room. I have 2" wood blinds and can lights on dimmers. We generally watch in low light conditions. The Samsung gets brighter than the Sony, so it is better in a bright room, but that comes at some cost to the blacks. The Samsung has slightly better response for gaming and gray level uniformity. Basically, neither set is perfect and I need to figure out which set of strengths and weaknesses fits my use case the best.

I wish there was a 75 inch version of the 8500 in this general price range. That would make this more of a direct shoot-out. My reluctance to go with a 65" set is that it is slightly smaller than my current screen and the fact that it is a flat panel will put that screen almost two feet further away from the seating. I worry that the combination of those factors will make the screen look noticeably smaller than what I've got now, whereas the extra 8 inches I would pick up on the 75 inch set would more than compensate for the increase in distance.

As my aunts and uncles used to say when playing Euchre, go big or go home!! Seriously, don't live with regret, whatever it may relate to.

I took my wife to Magnolia to look at TV sets today and she immediately zoomed in on the Sony XBR65X930C, which honestly looks amazing. She had no interest at all in the XBR75850C, which does not have local dimming. The two sets are about the same price, but the 930 is 10 inches smaller. There is a 75 inch version of the better Sony. The only downside is that it is currently priced at $6000. I'm going to see what comes out of CES in terms of announced sets and prices and then see what kind of deal I can get in the sales leading up to the Super Bowl. This is our primary display. It is going to get watched a lot and I expect to have it for a decade. I don't think I'll be sitting there three years from now and think, "Boy am I glad I saved a couple thousand dollars and bought a smaller set or a set with worse picture."

I'll be completely honest and say when you started this thread I thought you were crazy to buy a TV that expensive. HOWEVER, it does seem that you are committed to a premium product and if that is the case, I would definitely try to find a way to spring for the 75" as well.

I'm on the other side of the fence and would opt for the lest expensive 70-75 inch 1080p (maybe UHD) set I was happy with which (for me) would be in the sub $3K range. You've mentioned HDR more than once and until/unless that standard is set anything else is a short term compromise.

The main thing I am after is really good quality full array local dimming. The 850c is a good looking set, but the lack of FALD is really obvious next to the 940c. It is a non-subtle difference. Even my wife noticed it immediately.

I am absolutely chomping at the bit to buy a new display. At this point, I am pretty much focused on either the 2015 Sony X940C or the 2016 X940D. Which one I choose will have a lot to do with the pricing on the 940D vs what I can snag an outgoing 940C for on sale. I just hope they announce the pricing on the D before the Super Bowl sales hit. I would hate to snag a deal on the C only to find out that the price on the D is either lower or not more expensive.

Is the '16 D model any better in any way?

It seems like you want to hit it out of the park your first time at bat unless an opportunity to get a single comes along first. Make sense?

If you'll be happy with a single, get the least expensive set at the earliest opportunity. If you'd rather have a home run, get the best set regardless, even if you have to wait a little longer. Either way, both will be a major upgrade over what you've got currently.

The D should have slightly better blacks due to a few more local dimming zones, but should otherwise be the same. The issue is price. If the D comes in at what the C debuted for, it could be as much as $8000. That is a big "if" though, because the D lacks the expensive built in speakers of the C and tech tends to get cheaper with age. The C currently goes for $6000, but I expect that to go down a bit when we approach Super Bowl weekend, especially since they need to blow out the remaining inventory. Would I pay an extra thousand to get the D? Maybe. Would I pay an extra $2500-3000? Probably not.

is now a good time to buy a new display?

sister bought one, 55 inch 4k tv. same with my dad in law.

i would NOT imagine them buying it ahead of me. :( but i dont, well... scratch that. i dont try to care too much about it. i still have our 60 inch, we dont have any material available (my player cant do it), and well, i also still have my projector too.

then again, surpressing GAS is always a difficult thing. (similar to lens acquisition)

I would not be buying this year if my current display were not dying. The image quality has really gone downhill over the last year and now that I'm getting black dots all over the screen, there is really no more putting it off. I might be able to hold out until April or May, but that is probably the practical limit.

jomari said:

i would NOT imagine them buying it ahead of me. :( but i dont, well... scratch that. i dont try to care too much about it. i still have our 60 inch, we dont have any material available (my player cant do it), and well, i also still have my projector too.

then again, surpressing GAS is always a difficult thing. (similar to lens acquisition)

Huh?

Towen7 said:
jomari said:

Huh?

to rephrase,

I guess I didn't anticipate them buying a newer display ahead of me. I would normally upgrade before them, but in this case, they just happened to have bought it before I needed to upgrade.

thus also the reference to GAS in photography. don't really need a new lens, but always wanting one.

I didn't think much of my previous post, in fact, I didn't think in my previous post at all. it was more or less a quickie post.

From what I have been able to ascertain, it looks like the new version of the set barely meets the new Ultra HD Premium certification standard and the old set barely misses it, but both sets support full HDR. I suspect you would have to calibrate both sets, put them side by side and compare them with a variety of challenging material to see the difference between them. The new one does have the advantage of having a faster CPU and newer software though. It also lacks the huge speakers on the sides, which is nice.

Haywood said:
The new one does have the advantage of having a faster CPU and newer software though. It also lacks the huge speakers on the sides, which is nice.
I think the lion's share of your quandary has been eliminated.

Haywood, on the avs main page, 930D & 940D Sony report at CES. Just in case you haven't seen it. Just a short video by Scott though.

Back