• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Home Theater Paint/Furniture Make-Over

Got the rug and pad down. Need to trim the pad a little. Building bookcases tonight. And blackout curtains are tracking to arrive tonight.

Rug pad trimmed.
Bookcases built and in.
Curtains hung.
Swapped out all the outlets and light switch to match new color scheme.
Installed new ceiling light fixture.
Wire brushed door hinge hardware to remove some old paint.
Rehung doors.
Loaded in the new chairs (still waiting for back ordered ottomans).
Still need to do a little touch up painting, install a couple more curtain rod supports to account for much heavier curtains and rods bowing a little.
Still need to clean up and organize DVD' a books on new shelves juts kinda threw all my overflow on the shelves for now.
Still need to hang wall art... got the hardware I needed today will tackle that tomorrow after my run.
Still need to touch up a few paint spots.
Still need to clean up and re-terminate some sloppy (too long) subwoofer cables and install a couple right angle IEC cords.
Need to find some little wedge shaped end tables to sit between chairs for drinks, snacks, etc. Something like this...

hazleton-solid-wood-end-table.jpg

But the room is functional again. Watched UFC and boxing matches tonight to take a break from grinding out all these updates.
Immediate impression is that room sounds much better with full length heavy blackout theater curtains and larger area rug. So already worth the effort. And the new chairs are not torture devices like the old battleship of a couch.

Still have some clean up to do and last bit of wiring (hard wire run from router over to AV cabinet is laying on the floor in hallway will run it up and over attic properly this weekend). Otherwise close to done. Some more disc media to bring down from attic now that I have more in room storage... laser discs and DVD's that didn't fit in two closets.

How do the surrounds work that close to the seating? I am looking at building a similar room in my basement and am a little concerned about that.

Sweet! I've never seen your setup before. I was very close to getting some B&Ws, was considering the largest bookshelf or the same floor standers you have.
Ended up with the Mackie HR824s...

Nice setup...that's a lot of subs!

And...you REALLY like Godzilla, ay?

First of all, is the radiator still functioning and if so does it cause any issues due to proximity to gear. I can only assume the answer is no one way or the other or stuff would get moved.

second, that cat is beautiful. What breed is he/she?

First of all, is the radiator still functioning and if so does it cause any issues due to proximity to gear. I can only assume the answer is no one way or the other or stuff would get moved.

second, that cat is beautiful. What breed is he/she?

Radiator doesn't get super hot and there is a gap between it and the cabinet which is well vented.

I have two cats. This one is a bengal she has cool leopard spots on her belly and is a little bit of a menace. Just this side of undomesticated.

CAT.jpg

Last edited:
How do the surrounds work that close to the seating? I am looking at building a similar room in my basement and am a little concerned about that.

I mostly sit in the center seat so it's fine. The layout is far from ideal and only five channel. I have another pair of the same speakers waiting for me to finish my walk up attic where I will have a larger proper (projection) theater space with more room for an evenly spaced seven channel layout. This is kind of a make shift converted bedroom that I am using until the attic happens. It's been a busy few years I'll get around to it.

Last edited:
Nice setup...that's a lot of subs!

The intention when I bought them was to have plenty of coverage (and more uniform coverage) in a much larger space (see attic description in post above). But life happens, son was born, never got around to finishing the attic. So they are overkill in this room but I figure why let them collect dust might as well use them. Calibrating them was interesting it got easier when I (literally) stacked them and used to run them that way in a previous configuration of this same room before I cleaned it up and made more space. For now they are fine just sitting side by side. Again there are definitely compromises with this room layout but it's fine for now and still sounds good enough to enjoy.

Salvaged a couple of large 4ft x 10ft acoustic ceiling panels from a work project that were being discarded because of some minor cosmetic defects, cleaned them up and installed them in my movie room. One inch thick and coincidentally grey fabric that almost matches my ceiling. So I grabbed them. No rhyme or reason just figured I would try them out and see what the effect might be. Did some informal before and after listening with my movie watching buddy who helped me install them. They are large and so it was a two man job... three technically if you count my son who helped as well. We all noticed an improvement in dialogue clarity and a general improvement in how dynamic and full sounding playback was at a lower relative volume setting. Less of a need to crank it up to hear nice full range sound. Again the placement was literally random wherever they fit and completely unscientific. One on either side of the room symmetrically running front to back to clear the light fixture and smoke detector. Long term I had always hoped to do a proper and more scientific acoustic room analysis when I build out my attic projection theater room so I can treat them room correctly. But in the meantime in this temporary space I believe these panels did more good then harm so they will stay on the ceiling.

Last edited:
Back