• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Homecoming, anyone watching?

Dentman

I ask because of an issue with the picture. Does anyone else notice how out of focus portions of the image is with some scenes?

Yes, I am pretty sure it is intentional to make the experience to seem like a dream or perhaps a foggy memory. To make us question what is real and what is imagination where our brains filled in the blanks of what we clearly remember.

Yes, I am pretty sure it is intentional to make the experience to seem like a dream or perhaps a foggy memory. To make us question what is real and what is imagination where our brains filled in the blanks of what we clearly remember.
I was thinking the same. Problem is its exacuted so poorly that I started to question that theory.

I was thinking the same. Problem is its exacuted so poorly that I started to question that theory.

It is art, who are you to say it is executed poorly? That's like saying Renoir was a sucky painter because it was fuzzy and lacked clarity.

It is art, who are you to say it is executed poorly? That's like saying Renoir was a sucky painter because it was fuzzy and lacked clarity.
You know damn well who I am! The all seeing all knowing king of everything. Now move along peasant.
:)

I gotta say, the throwback to 1950s and 1960s is great! The pacing, sound, sweeping camera moves, angles, but most importantly, the musical score are all along the line of the best work by Hitchcock and others. .

I also gotta say, the audio engineering is spectacular! In episode 7 there's a scene where Julia Robert's character frantically calls her boss to discuss an issue and the video goes from full screen with one actor to split screen with one on the left and one on the right. Then they flip sides, and so on. It continues for a minute or more. What's amazing is the audio for their telephone compressed voices matches perfectly with their spot on the screen, from dead center to just right of center to just left of center, and when they flip sides the audio moves precisely with the image.

Marvelous!

I really cannot get over how palpable that little trick was. I went back and re-watched the two scenes where Julia Roberts' character and her boss were on the phone in Episode 7. With my main rig, the placement of the sound was so shockingly precise it gave me goosebumps. Damn! This makes not having a center channel one of the best decisions I ever made.

I mean, the voice came from dead center, as if I had a center speaker, when it was just one person filling the entire screen, but when they switched to a split screen with two people side by side, the voice shifted perfectly about two feet to the right or left, then it flipped the opposite when they flipped the screen.

People, test your systems and tell me if this blows you away as well!!!!!

We stopped watching it. When I was watching it I did so downstairs on my tiny soundbar system. We had a house guest for 2 months.
When I get home I'll give it a listen.

Watched a few episodes, I see what you guys mean. Yeah the sound is very good, even in the opening couple of minutes with the fish tank bubbles and then Roberts' voice panning back and forth as the scene shifts, very cool. (Haven't gotten to episode 7 yet...) And Dent yeah they use a lot of very shallow depth of field (meaning foreground/background out of focus) and even some artificial (I guess) mode where only the center of the screen is in focus, and gets blurry towards all four edges, it's a bit odd. But I guess it's supposed to give it a bit of a "homegrown" - old-fashioned and/or amateur - kinda feel? Dunno.

Back