• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

How do you buy your music now?

Xgm3

I'm just wondering what people do nowadays. Do you guys mainly stream your music or do you buy cds or vinyl? Or do you buy the music from the artists website?

Still mostly buy CDs - usually used, occasionally new if it's a current release. I never stream, and have only occasionally bought digital albums. Well I guess technically Squeezebox is streaming, which is mostly how I listen, but it's lossless and from my own internal network.

Still mostly buy CDs - usually used, occasionally new if it's a current release. I never stream, and have only occasionally bought digital albums.

Do you buy your used CDs from Amazon or somewhere else? I'm guessing since you usually buy them used then you haven't had much issue with scratches.

Do you pay for a subscription through Spotify or just use the free service?

Yeah, I do the premium service. It's $9.99/month.

I have used Tidal too but I find their app and web/desktop interfaces to be greatly inferior to Spotify.

Yeah, I do the premium service. It's $9.99/month.

I have used Tidal too but I find their app and web/desktop interfaces to be greatly inferior to Spotify.

Right on. I was just wondering what people did now because I was listening to Alter Bridge's new album 'The Last Hero' through Amazon Prime. I really like it and I was thinking to myself "should I buy this CD?" I haven't bought a CD for a very long time.

My wife buys pretty much all of her music from iTunes, partly because most of the Asian pop she listens to is not widely available otherwise. I generally buy discs and then rip them to my media server in FLAC.

My wife buys pretty much all of her music from iTunes, partly because most of the Asian pop she listens to is not widely available otherwise. I generally buy discs and then rip them to my media server in FLAC.

How do you store your CDs after your have ripped them? Do you have a recommendation?

I still buy CDs and listen to the originals, both at home and in the vehicles. Mostly from Amazon (main reason I have a Prime account). I'll buy direct from an artist's or label's website (AIX Records a prime (heh) example) if they're not available from Amazon.
My buddy's band They Stole My Crayon has a new album out, but download only. I haven't bought it yet as I'm lazy and would have to learn how to burn it to disk (yeah, I know...).
Occasionally buy used in the local shops, mostly classical/jazz if its a piece I don't have.

Do you buy your used CDs from Amazon or somewhere else? I'm guessing since you usually buy them used then you haven't had much issue with scratches.
Yeah, pretty much exclusively from amazon. I've gotten maybe one or two unplayable/unrippable discs out of many hundreds (probably 1000+ really), but generally it's the case that's in rougher shape if anything, and I don't care about that.

When you buy your CDs are they from Amazon or through the artists website?

I buy through Amazon because their CRM BI software gets better and better at knowing what I will like. I am at the point now that Amazon always recommends music I always like and often love. I learn about new artists and new albums from my favorite artists before I hear about them anywhere else, if ever. I love it.

Thanks for all of the replies. I just bought the new Alter Bridge CD on Amazon and noticed I can auto rip it to my Amazon library. Pretty dang cool.

I just bought the new Alter Bridge CD on Amazon and noticed I can auto rip it to my Amazon library. Pretty dang cool.
I wish that took place automatically, and I really can't figure out why it doesn't. Why should I have to go to the site and click on the albums I've purchased from them, so they're added and I can listen to them on my Echo?

I buy most of my CDs from Amazon and a surprising amount support "AutoRip" allowing me to stream much of my music thru the Amazon Music app. I supplement that with Pandora. At home I either listen to the CD if I'm in the theater or use an AppleTv connected to our distributed audio in the home.

Buy CDs, rip them in 4 different formats and store them in my home NAS, then sell the CDs on ebay to recover some of the cost.

Back