• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

How our states got their shapes - history channel

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
its a saturday and i used to watch 'tanked' or 'fast and loud'...

stumbled upon this show,

How our states got their shapes, and it peaked my interest. then later on, i got the chance seeing more details into it, and man, this is definitely a twist, if i may say, a revolution in how to 'teach' students or people like me, more about america's piques and cues, without the burdens of a big bad book.

i never knew the biggest oil well isnt in texas, its in pennysylvania, Drakes well.

i also never knew that texas isnt the first place that cowboys were born, its in florida.

Florida also has the biggest cattle ranch in the united states.

They have Crackers - which are cow hunters (not cowboys), who herd cows using the sound of their whips, distinctively enough the crack of the whip, and some dogs to herd them.

I also didnt know about the greatest gold mine rush wasnt in california, it was in north carolina.

Great show folks, and i love it.

I've seen it on tv a few times and get sucked in every time. Some of that info that gets conveyed is fascinating to me.

I watched a bit of that marathon too- very interesting stuff. Darn shame the History Channel doesn't have more of this kind of programming.

There's a ranch in Fla bigger than the King Ranch in Texas ?
I just did a check.....the King Ranch (825,000 acres) is one of the biggest in the world. The largest is in Australia. The largest ranch is near Vernon, Texas......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Ranch

When driving south (King Ranch) through this part of Texas on HWY 77 you see a sign, next gas station around 125 miles (heeman may know the exat milage) no towns/stores/etc.....& at every gate in the fences on both sides of the road is a trailer & a 4x4 pickup.

Barney said:
I just did a check.....the King Ranch (825,000 acres) is one of the biggest in the world. The largest is in Australia. The largest ranch is near Vernon, Texas......

When driving south (King Ranch) through this part of Texas on HWY 77 you see a sign, next gas station around 125 miles (heeman may know the exat milage) no towns/stores/etc.....& at every gate in the fences on both sides of the road is a trailer & a 4x4 pickup.

Driving through "Ranch Country" in Deep South Texas is both boring and interesting at the same time. Heading North from Brownsville, the last town you will see is basically Raymondville and for about 75 miles there is nothing except for gated (some very elaborate) ranches, including the King Ranch. The next town North would be Raymondville. The history of these ranches and oil/gas exploration is very interesting. Any of you history buffs will really enjoy learning about this area of our country.

Barney said:

IIRC, the question was specifically referring to a CATTLE ranch. Moreover, King Ranch isn't really contiguous and they deal with more than just cattle. The Florida Deseret Ranch (owned by the Mormon church) is indeed the largest cow-calf cattle operation in the US.

i also learned that north carolina was the first big 'gold rush' and not california.

it also had so much gold in it, it was called the golden state at one point.

i also didnt know it was where they decided to start the first bank, Bank of America.

Green bay packers, wisconsin, was originally owned by brothers who er... packed meat.

another thing was that wisconsin isnt known just for their cheese, they are pretty had the first big economic boom.

the fur trade - beavers where the hot commodity (no pun intended) and was preferred by the french for trade and was brought to england for hats and coats.

sorry folks, im trying to write down as much knowledge i can remember and squeeze from the show.

its THAT important to me, and i guess i just wanted to share what i learned.

like i said, revamp some teaching techniques to this format, and we're good to go.

Akula said:
I watched a bit of that marathon too- very interesting stuff. Darn shame the History Channel doesn't have more of this kind of programming.

Used to be about history, now it is pawn brokers, truck drivers, lumber jacks and red necks that don't know enough to stay away from giant gators. :angry-cussingblack:

As an ex-history teacher I find the show very interesting. I know a lot of what they cover but have also learned a lot.

It is distressing to me though how ignorant most people are considering our nation's history. Sad reflection on our education system.

mzpro5 said:
Akula said:

Used to be about history, now it is pawn brokers, truck drivers, lumber jacks and red necks that don't know enough to stay away from giant gators. :angry-cussingblack:

As an ex-history teacher I find the show very interesting. I know a lot of what they cover but have also learned a lot.

you can say this about the discovery channel, the animal channel, almost every one of them. including food channel.

It is distressing to me though how ignorant most people are considering our nation's history. Sad reflection on our education system.

im not ignorant, im asian! :teasing-tease:

jomari said:

Jomari, I'm not sure of your back story on how you became a citizen, but if you had to study and take a test to become an American citizen, you probably know more about American history than most Americans born here. That is a sad statement on Americans, but probably more true than false.

jomari said:
mzpro5 said:
Akula said:

you can say this about the discovery channel, the animal channel, almost every one of them. including food channel.

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

jomari said:
mzpro5 said:
Akula said:

.....Oh, man.........Matt is thinking....."Love you long-time"

Barney said:
.....Oh, man.........Matt is thinking....."Love you long-time"

Doubt it. First, something, ANYTHING, about Matt's loving would need to first be able to be described as "long." :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered: :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

ive always loved history, and wish that i could learn a lot more about the americas, much more about the european background as well, but man, just think of how magnanimous the history of this place is. AND how young the united states is compared to other nations.

probably the last tidbit i remember or will remember is that anything past the missisippi river apparently is the 'western frontier'. nothing was there until people started to try to go to california via wagon runs.

Mzpro, what part of history are you focused on tho?

anyone know if they're going to show these again?

jomari said:

I'd imagine so.

This is/was a short series (not sure how many episodes, maybe 8) that grew out of a much shorter program/miniseries kind of thing. The original episodes dealt with specific historical circumstances dictating the exact drawing of the state borders. This expanded show seems to deal with other factors that both separate and unite various populations inside and outside regular state borders.

http://www.history.com/shows/how-the-st ... eir-shapes

Maybe if people get more interested in such things like this it will help pull the History Channel back from the brink before they end up showing "The Real Teenage Housewives of Swamp Toddler Beauty Pageants."

jomari said:
ive always loved history, and wish that i could learn a lot more about the americas, much more about the european background as well, but man, just think of how magnanimous the history of this place is. AND how young the united states is compared to other nations.

probably the last tidbit i remember or will remember is that anything past the missisippi river apparently is the 'western frontier'. nothing was there until people started to try to go to california via wagon runs.

Mzpro, what part of history are you focused on tho?

In college I focused on American diplomatic history where i had the great privledge of studying under Dr. John L. Gaddis, expert on the Cold War and receipiant of the National Humantities Medal. He was at Ohio U then but is now a prof at Yale. My other focus of American history was the period betwee the World Wars, 1918-1941. in international history i concentrated on the Italian Renaissance and Islamic history from its founding thru the fall of the Ottoman Empire.

I have continued studies in history for the last 38 years and have way too many books that I will never get to.

jomari said:
...probably the last tidbit i remember or will remember is that anything past the missisippi river apparently is the 'western frontier'. nothing was there until people started to try to go to california via wagon runs.
There are a whole bunch of Native American cultures, with asian DNA, who would disagree with that statement... ;)

jomari said:

I am NOT a non-fiction reader. When I read, I want to "escape"; however, I really enjoyed A History of the American People. It provides a quick (given how much history is being covered) synopsis of America from the time of the first European settlers to Bill Clinton presidency. I wouldn't be surprised if a true history buff scoffs at the book given how "little" it is for how much time is covered, but again, I think it's great for a quick rundown of the highlights.

jomari said:

They are actually coming out with new shows -- it looks like there will be 5 more (not counting last night's new episode). Link

Not sure if it was mentioned, but the series is based on a book by Mark Stein.

TKoP said:
I wouldn't be surprised if a true history buff scoffs at the book given how "little" it is for how much time is covered, but again, I think it's great for a quick rundown of the highlights.
As an ex-history teacher and self proclaimed "true history buff", I am highly in favor of anything that better informs people about history. Providing it is as accurate as possible.

Back