• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

"How to Listen" - Harman Kardon offers free ear training!!!

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
Okay, guys! You've all read about how some members (past and present) have had formal ear training to learn how to recognize things they hear better than the average person. Well, now you too can get some training of your own with the help of a free package from Harman Kardon.

http://harmanhowtolisten.blogspot.com/2 ... isten.html

This is your chance. I have not used the software, yet, but I intend to. From the description it looks pretty good.

However, one huge warning... once you open this pandora's box you cannot shut it. If you learn to easily and accurately recognize distortions and flaws in reproduced sound, especially the common issues, you will have to deal with noticing it everywhere you go. It is similar to knowing what a good looking TV screen should be then having to deal with the blasting brightness of all the other TVs out there all the time. The trick is learning to keep your damn mouth shut when your friends try to show off their greatly flawed gear to you.

Have fun!

Re: "How to Listen" - Harman Kardon offers free ear training

Interesting!

The people who design and build speakers like this...

JBL_L830_black.jpg

...want to help me develop critical listening skills?

:scared-eek:

Oxymoron anyone?

Yeah, but they do own good brands out there too like Revel and AKG.

Harman has some of the most brilliant engineers and innovators in the world working for them. When it comes to audio, few companies are as deep in knowledge as Harman. They own JBL, Urie, dbx, and many amazing high end professional audio brands. We mock their consumer brands, but they do well in the marketplace, and that is why they are in business.

Interesting, but how effective would the training be if I have to run it on my laptop with limited freq. response & tiny speakers? It seems like a desktop with a good sound card & decent speakers would be required.

Orbison said:
Interesting, but how effective would the training be if I have to run it on my laptop with limited freq. response & tiny speakers?

If you have a mini-jack to RCA adapter or cable, I would run that from the laptops output to an input on your HT.

They are called headphones.

When I did my ear training about 3/4 of the classroom time was with headphones - at that time high end Sennheiser models.

Flint said:

When I did my ear training about 3/4 of the classroom time was with headphones - at that time high end Sennheiser models.

I don't have any of those. Insert big frowny faced emoticon here.

Ok my question is, if we complete this Golden Ear training and can hear the difference between a Steinway piano vs a Yamaha piano. In addition to whether an omnidirectional or carotid microphone was used, and if it was recorded at the Musikverein in Vienna or Symphony Hall in Boston.

Will we then become long winded, pompous asses, pontificating on everything from society's ills to all things audio related? Something like those stuffed shirts at Stereophile, The Absolute Sound, mmmm maybe a couple of forum members here? :character-oldtimer:

Thanks for the link Flint, you know I'm just jerking your chain.

Randy said:
Flint said:

I don't have any of those. Insert big frowny faced emoticon here.
Christmas is coming. Hintedy hint hint

TitaniumTroy said:
Ok my question is, if we complete this Golden Ear training and can hear the difference between a Steinway piano vs a Yamaha piano. In addition to whether an omnidirectional or carotid microphone was used, and if it was recorded at the Musikverein in Vienna or Symphony Hall in Boston.

Will we then become long winded, pompous asses, pontificating on everything from society's ills to all things audio related? Something like those stuffed shirts at Stereophile, The Absolute Sound, mmmm maybe a couple of forum members here? :character-oldtimer:

Thanks for the link Flint, you know I'm just jerking your chain.

Nah, they're still working on cables, and solid state electronics burn-in.

Rope

TitaniumTroy said:
Ok my question is, if we complete this Golden Ear training and can hear the difference between a Steinway piano vs a Yamaha piano.
The Yammie is much brighter sounding. :ugeek:

Flint - thanks for clarifying that earphones/headphones are to be used for this training. It wasn't mentioned on the HK website which is why I asked.

Another question. A quote from you at the old forum: "Notebook PCs are notorius for not providing decent sound cards. " http://forums.soundandvisionmag.com/showthread.php?608144-How-to-use-TrueRTA

So in your opinion would using a laptop for this training still be worthwhile given your view of the limitations of the typical laptop sound card?

Botch said:
TitaniumTroy said:
Ok my question is, if we complete this Golden Ear training and can hear the difference between a Steinway piano vs a Yamaha piano.
The Yammie is much brighter sounding. :ugeek:

Right, actually that difference isn't so small... at least if you've been playing the piano your whole life. :eusa-whistle:

And for those of us who don't own hi-end head phones then what? I have a set of JVC marshmallows they don't sound too bad. Nothing like my main speakers though. For a sound card I have a sound blaster, lol and I know how much Flint likes them! :D

Deerhunter said:
And for those of us who don't own hi-end head phones then what? I have a set of JVC marshmallows they don't sound too bad. Nothing like my main speakers though. For a sound card I have a sound blaster, lol and I know how much Flint likes them! :D

Those Marshmallows to me are the best sounding, most comfortable $20 IEM's out there. I haven't heard them all, but how much better can it get for $20? I find them more comfortable then my Shure's.

We should all do this and report.

Flint, how good do the headphones, or speakers, need to be to do this? My AKG k 240's up to snuff?

-B- said:
My AKG k 240's up to snuff?
And an FZ-6?! You have excellent taste, -B-!! :text-bravo:

I find it hilarious that we are on a high end audio forum where we discuss getting the best sound possible and people cannot find a way to somewhat accurately reproduce sounds from a PC.

I'm certainly happy we amuse you.

Rope

Back