• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

HSU VTF-15H In room measurements - All 15 configurations.

Re: HSU VTF-15H In room measurements - All 15 configurations

Aaron German said:
soundhound said:
I have a DIY project measurement microphone on the "other" forum. It is pretty accurate and costs very little.

http://forums.soundandvisionmag.com...-Build-A-High-Quality-Calibration-Microphone!

I use that mic. Seems to work fine for me. But I've never been able to test it against some standard to know how well it's working.

I have a Bruel & Kjaer professional calibration microphone and it is pretty close to that in response. It also makes a reasonable omnidirectional recording microphone. I use it with my location recording setup.

What about the laptop sound card? Is the DIY mic good enough that one shouldn't worry much about the sound card?

Also what solder equipment do you suggest (I don't have any).

nelmr said:
What about the laptop sound card? Is the DIY mic good enough that one shouldn't worry much about the sound card?

Also what solder equipment do you suggest (I don't have any).

I've found that the laptop built in sound in computers I've used is good enough for measurements. If you use TrueRTA, you can calibrate out any response variations anyway. Some sound cards also provide mic plug-in power for microphones such as the one I use in my DIY project, so you might not have to build the battery box. Plug the mic directly into the mic input on your laptop to see if it works; if not, you will need to build the battery box.

You need a low wattage soldering pencil iron for soldering to the microphone capsule. Get a pencil type iron of about 25 watts with a small chisel tip. Any electronic solder will work. RadioShack has this stuff (at least they used to when they actually sold electronic parts....)

soundhound said:
I've found that the laptop built in sound in computers I've used is good enough for measurements. If you use TrueRTA, you can calibrate out any response variations anyway. Some sound cards also provide mic plug-in power for microphones such as the one I use in my DIY project, so you might not have to build the battery box. Plug the mic directly into the mic input on your laptop to see if it works; if not, you will need to build the battery box.

You need a low wattage soldering pencil iron for soldering to the microphone capsule. Get a pencil type iron of about 25 watts with a small chisel tip. Any electronic solder will work. RadioShack has this stuff (at least they used to when they actually sold electronic parts....)

Thanks for the feedback soundhound. So stuff like this will work?:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-PENCIL-TYPE-SOLDERING-IRON/dp/B000N346SG
http://www.xump.com/science/Solder-Resin-Core.cfm?SID=156

If I were putting together a cheap measurement rig today, I would get a mic like the Behringer off Craigslist and i'd buy a newBlue Mic brand "icecycle" usb interface. All told, with a cable and used mic stand it should be under $100.

nelmr said:
soundhound said:

Thanks for the feedback soundhound. So stuff like this will work?:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-PENCIL-TYPE-SOLDERING-IRON/dp/B000N346SG
http://www.xump.com/science/Solder-Resin-Core.cfm?SID=156

Yes, that should work for all of the soldering. Just be careful with the heat on the mic capsule. Practice on something else till you get the hang of soldering small stuff. Tin the wires with solder before trying to solder them to the mic capsule terminals.

Flint said:
If I were putting together a cheap measurement rig today, I would get a mic like the Behringer off Craigslist and i'd buy a newBlue Mic brand "icecycle" usb interface. All told, with a cable and used mic stand it should be under $100.

Yeah, well, you didn't give my active crossover board much cred either.... :violence-torch:

Not that I don't believe you are offering a very viable and useful option. In fact, I have built the mic and heard the crossover board, they work great. I just don't see true novices pulling off the DIY electronics route too often with much success.

Soundhound,

What parts exactly do I need if I'm going to just wire directly to the PC?

Looking at this article, it looks like I don't need the resistor and capacitor. Is that correct?

Flint said:
Not that I don't believe you are offering a very viable and useful option. In fact, I have built the mic and heard the crossover board, they work great. I just don't see true novices pulling off the DIY electronics route too often with much success.
I think you vastly underestimate the abilities of many on this forum.

nelmr said:
Soundhound,

Looking at this article, it looks like I don't need the resistor and capacitor. Is that correct?
You need some single conductor shielded wire, and a two conductor (mono) 3.5 mm phone plug. The article pretty much covers the mic capsule. I did not find the rise in HF response that the author did however. For a housing for the mic capsule, I use the tube of a BIC pen.

Here is a picture of one I made which includes a windscreen I bought at a local electronics store:

DIY%20Mike.jpg

soundhound said:
nelmr said:
Soundhound,

You need some single conductor shielded wire, and a two conductor (mono) 3.5 mm phone plug. The article pretty much covers the mic capsule. I did not find the rise in HF response that the author did however. For a housing for the mic capsule, I use the tube of a BIC pen.

Here is a picture of one I made which includes a windscreen I bought at a local electronics store:

DIY%20Mike.jpg

Cool pic.

Radio Shack also has a 25 watt pencil iron for $8.79. I'll probably use that one as I can stop by after work and pick it up (no need for shipping)

I read that if there is a housing for the mic that it needs to be air tight (Why?). What if I were to solder the striped mono jack wire to the mic and use say pipe cleaner to sturdy the wire near the mic (i.e. tap the wire around the pipe cleaner). This would allow for flexibility in placement and wouldn't have any edges near the mic. But would it not being in a container be a problem (i.e. the entire capsule and it's back end with the soldered wire being exposed to the air)?

As regards construction I believe these are the steps of my idea:

1) Obtain Radio Shack 1/8" mono to stripped cable
2) Obtain Panasonic Electret Capsules
3) Twist any shielded wires together
4) Tin the center(hot) wire
5) Tin the twisted-together shielded wire-group
6) Solder the center (hot) wire to the + of the Capsule
7) Solder the twisted-together shielded wire-group to the - of the Capsule
8) Tape the cable to pipe cleaner.

Regarding the last two steps. Do I heat up the tinned wire as I solder to the capsule, or do I heat up the contact points on the capsule?

Lastly, would using lead-free solder be acceptable?

I don't quite follow the pipe cleaner thing, but while soldering you can clamp the mic capsule in anything convenient like an alagator clip, small vise (not too tight!) or whatever. The soldering steps are:

Have a damp sponge handy to wipe the tip of the iron.

1) Wipe the tip of the iron with a sponge.
2) Apply solder to the tip of the iron all around to get it wet with molten solder.
3) Tin the wire center conductor and the twisted together shield wires.
4) Wipe and tin the iron again (do this after all critical joints)
5) Apply solder to the pads of the mic capsule.
6) Wipe and tin the tip of the iron again.
7) Bring the wire to the pad and let the solder that's on the iron melt the solder on the wire and pad together while applying a little solder.
8) Wipe and tin the iron again.
9) Do the other wire/pad.

You don't have to have the back of the capsule airtight; just insert it into the pen tube with a drop of glue around the inside of the tube to hold the sides of the capsule.

nelmr said:
What if I were to solder the striped mono jack wire to the mic and use say pipe cleaner to sturdy the wire near the mic (i.e. tape the wire around the pipe cleaner). This would allow for flexibility in placement and wouldn't have any edges near the mic. But would it not being in a container be a problem (i.e. the entire capsule and it's back end with the soldered wire being exposed to the air)?

I have done pretty much what you discuss here, nelmr. I have the mic soldered to the wire, and the wire taped to a coat hanger. This sturdies the mic. I then tape the coat-hanger-mic combo to a mic stand, which allows me to position the mic where I want it. It ain't pretty, but in works. And I haven't had to re-tape even once in two+ years.

Flint said:
Below are measurements I made five years ago of three potential options for sound cards. To be fair, Dell has vastly improved the quality of the built in notebook sound cards since I made those measurements, but the issues are still apparent even with modern units.

Well I took the time to calibrate the built in sound card of my 3 year old dell (which I unfortunately didn't do with the previous measurements) as this is a bit complicated with REW, or at least I thought it was. All I had to do was loop the mic in to the the line out and then run a sweep and calibrate. Fortunately, I found out that the sound card has a pretty accurate response being only -3dB at 10Hz. The high end only fluctuated less than 0.5dB from about 10k on ward if I remember (I don't have the graph with me).

Noise was pretty low too with the loop back. I don't remember exactly what the level was though. The high noise I had before was when I was having it hooked to the RS Meter with nothing playing.

nelmr said:
Noise was pretty low too with the loop back. I don't remember exactly what the level was though. The high noise I had before was when I was having it hooked to the RS Meter with nothing playing.

Noise is not really a factor when doing response measurements as long as the noise level is an order of magnitude below the signal you're measuring (even the noisiest sound cards would easily meet this criteria).

When preamp self noise is important is when you're doing noise floor measurements (duh...) or some distortion measurements.

Here is the FR graph of my sound card.

soundcard.png

Back