• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

I too, have a confession to make....

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
Hi.

Names Jomari, im 35 years old from San Jose, CA.

Im an asian, and i love country music.

Not yet gone too deep into it.

I love a couple of new songs, but like to dig deeper, Johnny Cash, Garth Brooks, heavy hitters.

For the meantime, i love Darius Rucker. Yet another oddity in country music.

Like seeing William Hung in a cowboy hat.

I actually have quite the country library hidden in my metal collection. I like pretty much everything that Randy Travis has done as well as Alan Jackson. My dad was a country guy and I inherited his collection.....lots of Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash.

:music-rockout:

My current favorite: Dwight Yoakam.

Lots of good guitarwork and twangy vocals, but the music isn't overly polished with a glossy sheen like much of today's county. I'd recommend getting both his earlier hits CD "Just Looking For A Hit" and his later hits CD "Last Chance For A Thousand Years: Hits of the 90s". I'm also a big fan of the CD "Dwight Live"; heck, that might could substitute for a greatest hits album. I think the songs on "Live" are sometimes better than the studio versions since they have lots more energy. Also, there is an interesting album called "dwightyoakamacoustic.net" that is Yoakam singing and playing acoustic guitar (really shows off his voice) but the songs are not necessarilly the hits.

Other favorites of mine:

Randy Travis
Southern Pacific
Restless Heart
Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson (combined and individually)
Oak Ridge Boys

(especially the Oak Ridge Boy's late 80s and early 80s stuff... though they had a nice song here and there afterward into the early 90s, the albums from that era tended to be a couple of good songs with a lot of bad filler... still they're one of my fav country bands, though).

My honorable mentions:

Alabama
George Strait (but, honestly, out of his 50+ number ones, I really only like about 5 or 6 songs)
Garth Brooks
Travis Tritt
Kenny Rogers
Faith Hill (just a few of her pop songs)
Dixie Chicks (just a few of their songs, though)
Ronnie Milsap
Don Williams
Eddie Rabbit
Charlie Daniels Band
Alison Krauss
Nickel Creek
Statler Brothers (OK, pretty much just 2 songs I like, but...)
Toby Keith (just a few of his songs)
Charlie Pride (OK, so I only know one song, but it's pretty awesome)

Well, maybe some of those honorable mentions aren't quite exactly country; but sort of, I suppose?

jomari said:

I say you should go for it!!!! Don't forget to wear some boots, too. And one of them there "Wranger cowboy-style shirts" might would complete the look. :music-rockout:

jomari said:
Hi.

Names Jomari, im 35 years old from San Jose, CA.

Im an asian, and i love country music.

Not yet gone too deep into it.

I love a couple of new songs, but like to dig deeper, Johnny Cash, Garth Brooks, heavy hitters.

For the meantime, i love Darius Rucker. Yet another oddity in country music.

He didn't get his start in country.

51Jo2i3FXzL.jpg

Try some M..M...Ma Mel Tillus

Rope

^^^
Shoot, he even recorded sort of a slightly soulful R&B record after that, but before going country. He's fairly talented. (Say... does anyone emember that Burger King commercial?)

Now if we were to look for more country artists who've, how do I say this, not quite looked the part? Then we'd be remiss if we forgot to mention the country-rapper, Cowboy Troy!

And, of course, Charlie Pride. (Upon hearing "Kiss An Angel Good Morning", I never ever in a thousand years would've guessed his skin color was black.)

i remembered him from hootie and actually didnt like him there.

wierd huh? right now, i guess im liking a lot more of the new stuff.

im still getting my boots wet so to speak... :D

i will reply soon with my findings, my phones in my gf's car...

For those of you who listed Willie Nelson, Huneysuckle Rose is one of my all time favorite movies and soundtracks.

I also very much like "D"wite Yokum most of his
Garth Brooks Most of his
Allison Krause has some that is pretty much Country
Johnny Cash
Some Alan Jackson
Big & Rich
Some Alabama
Bonnie Raitt
Old Brooks & Dunn
Some Carrie Underwood
Hal Katchum
Diamond Rio
Rascal Flatts

just to name a few that I have in my country play list. I don't listen to it much and couldnt tell you what they play on the radio though.

Randy said:
Big Vince Gill fan here!!!

Don't know much about him, but I do have his album "High Lonesome Sound" on a 5.1 DTS-CD. Bought it for the surround even though I hadn't ever heard it. Must say I was pleasantly surprised.

Just saw Vince on the 2010 Crossroads video. He's good!

Note that I have another comment about Vince but can't post it here, it's forbidden... check my other threads.

So Joms... where ya at? If you don't post again soon, I'll just have to assume you've up and joined the rodeo. Either that or you've been out "Line Dancing" on one of them there Country Music Television shows.

:teasing-tease:

the songs ive been listening to, well, theyre not up to par so to speak.

ive collected a couple, and started to write em down...

blake shelton - who are you song...
josh turner - all over me
sunny sweeney - from a table away
zac brown - toes
alan jackson - 5 o clock somewhere
joe nicols - the shape im in / gimme that girl song

so you can see, im ways away from the classic genre... i have to get some 'roots' in, or im stuck listening to this pop sh*t. it aint bad, but as i try to compare it to jazz, you dont know it yet, until you heard coltrane or davis.

jomari said:
now it so you can see, im ways away from the classic genre...

Speaking of classic, have you ever listened to "The Roadhouse" station on Sirius/XM? Man some of the stuff they play is older than the hills. Well... OK, maybe as old as the 60s??? Before my time, anyway.

sorry buddy, i dont have sirius/xm...

i do have pandora and slacker.

i do like the classic stuff, but i still have to get used to it.

conway twitty tho... man that hairs crazy.

jomari said:

Dude had one heckuva hair helmet, to be sure!

Probably the first time I ever saw/heard Conway Twitty was from some Time-Life Music infomercial on television. I think the song it had was something like, "Lord I loved that woman wearing tight fittin jeans". (The way I see it, this song about "tight jeans" was probably a precursor to Sisqo's "Thong Song". Well... in an indirect way, maybe?) ;)

Kazaam said:
jomari said:

Dude had one heckuva hair helmet, to be sure!

Probably the first time I ever saw/heard Conway Twitty was from some Time-Life Music infomercial on television. I think the song it had was something like, "Lord I loved that woman wearing tight fittin jeans". (The way I see it, this song about "tight jeans" was probably a precursor to Sisqo's "Thong Song". Well... in an indirect way, maybe?) ;)
First time was "Hee Haw" for me. That same time period, Bobby Goldsboro was on, what, Ed Sullivan? Sonny & Cher? He had the Competing hair helmet. :D

Was it "Hee Haw: The Next Generation"?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W42IY_SgCY4[/youtube]

I wasn't a country fan until about 2-3 years ago. Everyone around me had always liked country, i was still listening to classic rock form 20-30 years ago. Outside grilling or by the pool they kept changing the music. I finally got tired of the fight and gave it a chance. I still don't like sad country but i like the upbeat. About a year ago I would dvr old Hee-Haw shows, that reminded me why i hated country music. Artists i enjoy but not seen listed

Kenny Chesney- Waiting for the release of Summer In 3D blu-ray. 2D version out now.
Colt Ford- Hip-Hop meets Country or vice-versa. Song: Ride Through The Country
Jamey Johnson- Song: Cold Beer
Craig Morgan- Song- Redneck Yacht Club
Jason Aldean- Song- Johnny Cash
and of course Hank Jr.

Back