• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Inception

If you're on the fence with this movie, I think it deserves a second or even multiple viewings. As expected, I picked up on a lot of elements missed in the theater. I've also had a lot of fun reading various interpretations of elements throughout the film, all over the net...

Just watched this one, I really enjoyed it. Yeah, I guess the snow fort stuff kinda went on, but hey, the whole point was the deeper you go, the longer time lasts... I thought the ending was good, just enough so you're pretty sure you know what happened and how it all wound up, but there's a little room for doubt. ;) Overall, I thought the story was very inventive. I didn't think DiCaprio really brought a whole heck of a lot to his role, though. I enjoyed the movie for the story, not the acting.

Hmm.... I've never heard of "The Prestige" - will check it out.

I'm not a DiCaprio guy (don't dislike him either) but I'm not convinced anyone else could have brought anything more to the lead role. The movie is so "different" that the role gets bogged down just a little because Cobb has to explain so much about "Inception" and the dream world to Ariadne and the audience.

Also it took Nolan ~8-10 years just to get this concept, screenplay ready. After that he had to convince the studio to get behind it. Nolan's directorial success with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight helped immensely. But they needed a bonafide, young, big draw actor with a degree of acting chops to get people to the theater. Enter DiCaprio...Once the movie hit theaters after a really good marketing campaign and great word-of-mouth the end result was >$800mil worldwide gross....

Pauly, if you haven't already, check out Memento too, that movie is what garnered people's attention and awareness of Nolan.

Just a quick interesting quote concerning Inception from a site weighing some pros and cons of this years Best Picture Oscar contenders :

" Pros: There are arguably only two films that have come close to the term "cultural phenomenon" this year and "Inception" was one of them.  Chris Nolan's artful and complex thriller spurned water cooler and online chatter for weeks as it raked up critical respect and became a blockbuster across the world.  The picture also solidified Nolan's stature as one of the greatest director's of this era, even if he hasn't won an Oscar…yet.

Cons:  Is the film too complex for the mushy minds of Oscar voters?  Probably not, but considering Nolan's classic "Dark Knight" was inexplicably not nominated two years ago, don't be surprised if the Academy makes the same stupid mistake again."

:text-link:

Thanks, Bats - yeah that makes sense, DiCaprio as the money front man. Ok, I'll add Memento to my list!

Inception is definitely a movie I'll consider buying to watch again. Maybe not right away, but after it's had some time to sink in a bit.

BTW, I thought the SQ on this was pretty good, too. Decent surround without being overstated, and a few nice low-bass rumbles that weren't "flashy" but added to the tension.

Pauly at the risk of spoiling it, I'll just say Memento is known as "that backwards movie" so pay real close attention from start to finish. Although much different than Inception you still gotta be on your movie watching a-game...

Wow, movies that make you think - how refreshing!

Saw it and liked it. Need to rewatch just to catch up on details. SQ was pretty good, not too much LFE but just enough.

I couldn't help saying it's a cross between The Matrix and 80's Sci-Fi / Horror film 'Dreamscape'

Leo D. seems like a better actor than average in his age group but IMO he suffers from Tom Cruise syndrome (looks too young to play the role given) and his voice doesn't help either. :handgestures-thumbdown:

in regards to leo, i think hes a great actor, but as you've mentioned, his 'age appearance' definitely limits his amount of roles. despite his age of around 30 i think, hes stuck due to his appearance and his voice.

albeit these flaws, he did do a good job in The departed. im going to regret saying this, but despite the movie itself being a rip off, this had some good performances as well.

inception has its strong points, but definitely has some weak ones too. about an hours worth. :D

Geez, some people care too much... (about low low output)

PaulyT said:
Geez, some people care too much... (about low low output)

Yeah, I watched the move with my HSU tuned to do low low output, but you know what, it still sounded great and my floor shook for the first time since I moved in 2 years ago (concert slab in this ranch-style apartment). The SVS never did this because it was output limited. So the movie is fine regarding bass from my viewpoint.

Indeed. My subs aren't all that great for going that far down (<20Hz), but I still noticed some decent tremble. It's just not what I'm usually paying attention to when I'm watching a movie...

PaulyT said:
It's just not what I'm usually paying attention to when I'm watching a movie...
That should be a good news for you. That means you are not with the group which the membership includes Ashley. ;)

Just watched this on Bluray yesterday, great movie with a fine cast. Left you thinking in the end and open for a sequel. Too bad it has to be Pete Postlewaite's last performance, and it would have been nice if he had had a larger role in the film.
Rob

I saw it in the theater and liked it. Then I watched it again with my family last week on Blu-Ray and I still liked it. I thought the blending of the caper movie genre with elements of the psychological thriller set against a fantastic sci-fi backdrop was brilliant. I was reminded of everything from The Cell and The Matrix to The Italian Job and The Sixth Sense.

I guess you either "get" this movie or you don't.

Back