• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

iPhone or iPod speaker docks

Yesfan70 said:
No-L said:
Haywood said:
My wife and I use a Creative D200 Bluetooth speaker in the kitchen and are very happy with it. It is inexpensive, sounds reasonably good and works within 35 feet of the device. She uses it to listen to music and watch streamed video in the kitchen.

I didn't know such a thing existed. Great idea. Then I could use my phone while listening!

Just make sure you're within earshot as the conversation will be output to the speaker in the Bluetooth device instead of the one in your phone during a call. That's especially not good if no one else but you is supposed to hear it.

Good advice. I was thinking this would be a good option so I could still text and google and keep an eye on this forum while the music is playing. Not necessarily talking on my phone. I almost never use my phone to talk to people. Lol. I prefer written communication!

No-L said:
I have a iPhone. We do have Apple tv, but I am specifically looking for something to put on the back porch while we are having BBQ parties.

I had an old receiver and speakers laying around so I just use an RCA cable to connect the iPhone to it on the back patio every now and then. It sounds a lot better than any dock I've heard. When not in use I toss the receive on a shelf in the garage.

Bluetooth speakers have the advantage to working with a ton of technology without the hassle of docking. I can couple my phone with the Bluetooth speaker, work at my desk on the other end of the room and keep my phone with me to control everything. My wife can wander around the kitchen with her iPad and a lightweight stand, putting the thing anywhere she wants while always having decent sound. It plays plenty loud enough. Ours requires power, but there are smaller ones that will run off batteries or are rechargeable.

We have this one http://www.amazon.com/Creative-D200-Wireless-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B003N9PJDI

31KBQ3fBrjL._SS400_.jpg

Towen7 said:
No-L said:
I have a iPhone. We do have Apple tv, but I am specifically looking for something to put on the back porch while we are having BBQ parties.

I had an old receiver and speakers laying around so I just use an RCA cable to connect the iPhone to it on the back patio every now and then. It sounds a lot better than any dock I've heard. When not in use I toss the receive on a shelf in the garage.

For that use I would look foe a cheap receiver and a couple speakers. Serves the purpose and more versatility.

Receiver

Speakers

My vote also goes to a cheap receiver and speakers. Though I don't use my phone for tunes, I have a spare Squeezebox I use and my wife's old Sony rack stereo for my back deck. The stereo is in the corner with the speakers on top of the railing. This is a temporarily solution.

What I plan to do in the future is add some outdoor speakers tucked up in the corners of the ceiling and out of the way. Those would be powered by a Bluetooth equipped receiver so my phone (or someone else's) can be docked with it for tunes. For my tunes, I'll continue on with my spare SB. What I would like is have a 5 channel outdoor surround sound with a TV for nighttime games or movies.

Haywood said:
Bluetooth speakers have the advantage to working with a ton of technology without the hassle of docking. I can couple my phone with the Bluetooth speaker, work at my desk on the other end of the room and keep my phone with me to control everything. My wife can wander around the kitchen with her iPad and a lightweight stand, putting the thing anywhere she wants while always having decent sound. It plays plenty loud enough. Ours requires power, but there are smaller ones that will run off batteries or are rechargeable.

We have this one http://www.amazon.com/Creative-D200-Wireless-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B003N9PJDI

31KBQ3fBrjL._SS400_.jpg

This looks like what I want. Great price point. How long have you had yours?

Have to agree with Towen. At his gtg I just plugged in a simple line jack to stereo cables hooked up to his outdoor stereo and we played my music collection all night long and it sounded pretty damn good. I have a Logitech speaker dock that I picked up on Utimate Electronic close out that I use strictly in the bathroom getting up in the morning but otherwise I would just buy a simple line jack and hook up to your main system for far better results.

Using a line jack IS a great idea. However, I think a Bluetooth dock is the answer for me. I tend to get a lot of texts and emails. Bluetooth option would allow me to keep my phone with me to answer communications without having to go to where my phone is setting each time.
I have a JBL speaker dock (absolutely fantastic sound) that I keep in my exercise room in my attic. Over the summer we tend to BBQ a lot and last year i would bring that downstairs to use each time we entertained. This year I've decided I want another dock to keep downstairs. I can't find the same JBL dock so I thought I would see what everyone else on this forum likes. Thanks for all of the input!!
I think Bluetooth is the answer for me!

Type in the model number of your JBL into Amazon, you may find a few vendors who still have them new or some used for sale.

Back