• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Is it finally time to declare the Rock and Roll era over?

This isn't a debate about you being right or wrong. This is just a debate that is fun to talk about. I don't want to prove you wrong, I want to debate with you in a pleasant way. We are debating, not fighting. And it would be really boring if we suddenly agree and have nothing to talk about anymore.

Right, and that is all I was saying, If it came off otherwise that was not my intent. Other than my comment to @CMonster about those banjo playing posers.

I was going to mention earlier that you and I don't agree on a lot of things but hell I still like you and have a ton of respect for you.

I just didn't agree that the Jethro Tull cover, which was amazing, is an indication that Rock and Roll is dead. Hell, I think making a great cover is pretty rock and roll.

And, I am kidding about Mumford and Sons too. I know they are very talented and have made some great music, it just aint my thing.

However, that does go to my point and the fact that Mumford and Sons was able to make music wildly different from the norm and sell millions of copies is pretty freakin rock and roll.

There are also some great, young blues/roots rock bands out there that are gaining steam and doing well. Tyler Bryant & The Shakedown and Larkin Poe are too good examples.

I think music is just fragmenting more and that this fragmentation is driven by both streaming and listening habits. Music is not a cultural focal point anymore and people have practically every song ever recorded at their fingertips. They find bands that they like and they listen to them. Genre is not as front-and-center as it used to be. The reduced cost of production has lead to more smaller labels and more self-publishing. This also feeds fragmentation, because musicians have more creative control and are not chasing conformity.

Back