• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Is My Null Fixed?

Zing

Retired Admin
Superstar
The purple trace is the typical response I've been dealing with since moving the sub up front. A few different adjustments here and there have altered it in some fashion but I'm always left with some form of that W-shaped null between 35 and 90Hz.

I had some time this afternoon to play around and the yellow trace is the result. I say that's a significant improvement. What say you?

NullFixed.png

Once I get those traps up on the ceiling, I"ll see what kind of improvement they offer. If it's minimal, I may pick up one of those BFD's.

I'll give you five dollars if you can correctly guess how I made the improvement between the purple and yellow traces. And I'll give you ten dollars if you're still talking to me after I tell you how I did it. :shifty:

Zing, you tell us you did something but won't say the specifics. Is this a secret method you're about to patent and sell? :(

DIYer said:
Zing, you tell us you did something but won't say the specifics. Is is a secret method you're about to patent and sell? :(
HA! I wish!

You're another one whol'll likely have a :doh: moment when I tell you so I guess I'll give you ten dollars too if you don't resign your moderator position and run away screaming.

Zing said:
I enabled the XO on the sub.

What setting are you using on the receiver? I think I have to choose a x-over freq on my receiver. Or are you running your mains through the sub?

Darn it, I was gonna guess that right off the bat!

Uh, what is "XO"?

Botch - XO = crossover.

Aaron - I currently have my pre/pro crossing all my speakers to the sub at 80hz. I had been using 100Hz, which helped fix one problem but it still left others. So for the past couple of weeks I've been running things at 80hz. By enabling the crossover (or XO, Botch) on the sub, I'm effectively using a second crossover which is considered a no-no. It was sheer desperation that made me try it and, frankly, I was expecting to see more problems than I had before. I was floored when I saw what it corrected.

80Hz.

When I flicked the switch, I heard a distinct difference in sound. It was a reduction higher frequencies and a seemingly increase of lower frequencies. So I assumed the markings were inaccurate. When I clicked the Quick Sweep button, as mentioned, I was floored with what I saw. For shits and giggles, I ran the sweep 3 more times. Once with the knob set at 70Hz, and once at 90Hz. After seeing only the slightest change in response, I set it back to 80, ran another sweep and that's the yellow trace you see above.

soundhound said:
You use it essentially as a 20 band per channel fully parametric EQ, and turn off the feedback suppression fucntion.
You know, I've been seeing tons of people using this thing and I never really understood how some anti-feedback device could cure the ills of a problematic frequency response.

Can you select multiple frequencies to adjust or are you limited to picking just one like most PEQs?

Zing said:
Botch - XO = crossover.

I'm effectively using a second crossover which is considered a no-no

There's nothing necessarily wrong with using cascaded crossovers if it accomplishes the final goal. What you are doing when cascading crossovers at the same frequency is making the resulting slope sharper than with a single crossover alone.

Still, problems with bass response are better solved through placement and EQ.

Zing said:
soundhound said:
You use it essentially as a 20 band per channel fully parametric EQ, and turn off the feedback suppression fucntion.
You know, I've been seeing tons of people using this thing and I never really understood how some anti-feedback device could cure the ills of a problematic frequency response.

Can you select multiple frequencies to adjust or are you limited to picking just one like most PEQs?

There are 20 available bands per channel, and these can be at any frequency, with any "Q" (width of the peak or notch), and with any boost or cut. The bands can be moved around freely to address each of the problem frequencies. At some frequencies I have two or three bands close together with a narrow notch; at other frequencies I have a single, wide notch - it depends on the nature of the problem frequencies. The two channels are independent, so you have 20 bands per channel if you are using stereo subwoofers.

To address feedback, you tune the bands to the frequencies which are causing the feedback and insert a sharp notch; the unit can do this automatically also.

Glad you got it working, but it's mysterious to me why setting a crossover at 80Hz had such an effect on the frequencies well below that. Yeah I mean I know the xo point is a shoulder, so there's some slight falloff below it, but still shouldn't it basically be a low pass filter? Why does it seem to be boosting the 30-70Hz range so much?

Not arguing that your RTA result isn't real, just wondering how what you did accomplished that...

PaulyT said:
Glad you got it working, but it's mysterious to me why setting a crossover at 80Hz had such an effect on the frequencies well below that. Yeah I mean I know the xo point is a shoulder, so there's some slight falloff below it, but still shouldn't it basically be a low pass filter? Why does it seem to be boosting the 30-70Hz range so much?

Not arguing that your RTA result isn't real, just wondering how what you did accomplished that...

The first thing that comes to my mind is that the settings on those XOs are notoriously inaccurate. He could be selecting 80Hz and actually setting it to 60Hz.

As to why it made an improvement at all, well if his mains were somehow creating sound that low (where the null is) and he removed the sub's output down there, that could explain why the null disappeared.

Of course the switch could have been installed upside down also; thus, reversing the "ON" and "OFF" positions.

John

Back