• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Is there an optimal distance for the spacing of speakers?

Zing

Retired Admin
Superstar
Re: Is there an optimal distance for the spacing of speakers

Welcome CiscoKid! :text-welcomeconfetti:

A lot of what you're asking is personal preference. Typically, a good starting point is to form an equilateral triangle between your main speakers and your listening position. From there, you can make adjustments to suit your tastes. Beyond that, the shape and size of your room will ultimately dictate distances.

A commonly suggested surround sound peaker setup would be similar to the picture below.

sc001.jpg

The guy in that picture is not sitting in the right spot.

CiscoKid said:
What if you were able to choose the size and shape of your room and had ultimate freedom. Would there be an ideal setup?
Yes and no.

It would only be ideal to you if - IF - you achieved your goal. So the first question you need to ask and answer is "what do I want to achieve?" Once you've determined that, you can proceed accordingly.

Take a look at some of these.
:text-link:

What about now?

sc001.jpg

I agree with SH, the guy should be centered on the couch.

To go along with what Zing posted, another importance is speaker placement relative to your seating position. Your speakers shouldn't be right up against the wall and/or you sitting square in the middle of the room either. Your room will have just as much affect on the sound of your system as the speakers themselves. Too close to the wall and the speaker's bass sounds boomy and the midrange suffers. Too far out, and the bass suffers.

It's amazing how much more impact you can get from a setup just by moving the speakers around. It doesn't matter if the system is valued at around $500 or $50,000. The room itself is just as important as the rest of the system.

I think it's also important to add that the speakers play a big role in placement. Some speakers are designed to be up against a wall, or in corners. How well a speaker can "image", and also the size of the speakers percieved "soundstage" come into play.

I was going to come up with a "general" rule of thumb but to be honest I'm not comfortable doing that. I will make one remark, and thats that I would venture to say 80% of most listeners are sitting too far away from their speakers.

Yeah if one had ultimate freedom, one could build rooms with non-parallel walls, sound insulation from the rest of the house, built in acoustic treatments, etc. But yes, the equilateral triangle for the mains is the place where most of us mortals start. ;) As for rears, it kinda depends - I think - on whether you're doing a 5.1 vs 7.1 system; I would venture to say that with a 5.1, you might want to put the surrounds a little further back, compared to a 7.1 where the "side surrounds" are more to the side and the rears directly behind you. That is, you want to have an even sound field from all directions as much as possible given your configuration.

As far as distance from the speakers, that'll depend on the type of speaker, where the ideal listening distance is based on its design. I don't think one can come up with a completely general rule there.

And welcome!

If you're married, ask the wife. She'll locate them for you. :happy-smileygiantred:

5-1-speaker-setup-400x300.jpg

7-1-speaker-setup-400x300.jpg

Welcome CiscoKid, we've been watching you lurk and wondered when you would post, we're glad you finally did!

Dennie

Depending how tall your speakers are and how far the individual drivers are spaced out. Effects the optimum listening distance, for example you can sit closer to a pair of small two way monitor speakers vs a large tower speaker, with multiple drivers. Thus allowing the various drivers to time align and reach your ears simutaneously. Or something to that effect, I would assume you could sit even closer to co-axial speakers like KEF. Since the tweeter is inside the midrange and are already time aligned.

There is a single most optimal spacing for any speaker, but that ideal isn't the same for all speakers. Our advice is general and usually results in something really good, but what is perfect for you may be different from our advice.

All the images are wrong. They're only showing one sub! :eek:

Yesfan70 said:

I can understand that I hate to sit in the center of a couch/sofa :D

Orbison said:
If you're married, ask the wife. She'll locate them for you. :happy-smileygiantred:

:laughing-lettersrofl:

JeffMackwood said:
All the images are wrong. They're only showing one sub! :eek:

:eek:bscene-drinkingcheers: :handgestures-thumbup: :eusa-clap:

mzpro5 said:
Yesfan70 said:

I can understand that I hate to sit in the center of a couch/sofa :D

You and me both. Ideally, form a comfort perspective, he should have moved the couch over left where the end would be in the sweet spot.

I wished I could do that in my setup.

For surround sound optimal distance between channels is *usually* relative to the distance they will be heard from. For your front channels you would use the same method as you would for stereo listening; start their distance apart about 2/3 of the distance you will be listening from. It would be then easier to get your reference point of where to place the surrounds. I think it's a safe assumption to place them as closely as possible to the same distance from your listening spot as your best spot you found for the fronts, having that distance set within an angle of 3 to 6 fix higher than your head. This will allow your equipment to be able to be adjusted enough for gain/cut and delay to get them in phase...too close or too far won't sound realistic.

Back