• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

JAZZ Music

Tatsuya Nakatani is brilliant, and I love his work, but he didn't invent using bows on cymbals and gongs. Those techniques have been around since the early days of those instruments. In the 1950s classically trained experimental music composers started using bows on all the percussion instruments, like vibraphones, cymbals, and other resonant items, with shocking success. Then in the late 1960s the soundtrack composers took those sounds mainstream in sci-fi and thriller movies. When I was playing in school, we had to borrow bows from the orchestra students to play music as early as in 7th grade (1979), so even beginning students were doing it. In the 1980s Laurie Anderson's drummer and other performance art pop-musicians also used bows on percussion and other instruments in a revival of the style in popular music.

I didn't want to take away from Tatsuya Nakatani, but I wanted to clarify the history of the instrument. He really is a great artist and I recommend checking him out if you love experimental percussion.

mark-o-connor-jam-session.jpg

Got a big box from Amazon last night, and this is the first CD I played this morning.

I played in a bluegrass band for one summer (fiddle/mandolin) and that same year the World Fiddle Champion was this eleven-year-old kid, Mark O'Connor. He took that title every year until he retired from competition at age 17 or 19 (can't remember which) :violin: He also took World Mandolin championship and Flatpicker championships a few years apiece too, absolutely phenomenal musician with MONSTER hands!

This is a set of performances in an acoustic quartet setting (fiddle, mandolin, guitar, acou bass) and the music is a mix of bluegrass, greek, Django, gypsy, and bop. Fantastic picking, Very Highly Recommended if you like this kind of music! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Botch said:
mark-o-connor-jam-session.jpg

Got a big box from Amazon last night, and this is the first CD I played this morning.

I played in a bluegrass band for one summer (fiddle/mandolin) and that same year the World Fiddle Champion was this eleven-year-old kid, Mark O'Connor. He took that title every year until he retired from competition at age 17 or 19 (can't remember which) :violin: He also took World Mandolin championship and Flatpicker championships a few years apiece too, absolutely phenomenal musician with MONSTER hands!

This is a set of performances in an acoustic quartet setting (fiddle, mandolin, guitar, acou bass) and the music is a mix of bluegrass, greek, Django, gypsy, and bop. Fantastic picking, Very Highly Recommended if you like this kind of music! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
Nice Choice Botch!

Mark is an amazing artist! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

I was looking for live footage to post for the "What have you heard live recently?" thread and came across some shows I have been too. But not recently. Then I remembered that I had discussed these guys in this thread. So, I'll post it here.

Earlier I posted I list of jazz bands that I like. I said that some were pretty noisy. Peter Brotzmann and Fred Lonberg-Holm were one of the bands I put in that category. The video below will give you an idea of what I mean. At first it is hard to hear the cello. The show tales place at Gumbo Ya Ya in Lexington, KY. A great little place for seeing great jazz shows. At the very end, the camera pans around, so you can get a feel for the size of the place. The camera man is against the wall opposite the musicians.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvqfaLfD3wA[/youtube]

I found another video of a jazz show I saw here in Lexington. This time it's The Thing. Well, really it's The Thing minus one guy, but plus Joe McPhee. The Thing can get pretty wild, but this is pretty calm.

EDIT: I'm listening to this as I click around. It gets really freakin' good the last few minutes. That Joe McPhee can play.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZLFY3sX374[/youtube]

Wow, I thought I was pretty into - or at least tolerant of ;) - modern/avant garde type stuff, but man you listen to some weird shit. :scared-yipes: I guess this is one of those "you had to be there" sorta things, definitely doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in based on these videos and laptop sound.

Sorry, I don't mean to discourage you from posting about this stuff (here and in the "live" thread), by any means. I'm certainly willing to assume that it sounds better live! And I am still interested in hearing about your experiences. So keep it coming! I'm just saying, this is my reaction to what I can tell from these online clips, that's all, and I'm sure it's not fair.

Maybe if I put in enough smileys I won't come off sounding like an asshole here... :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

PaulyT said:
Wow, I thought I was pretty into - or at least tolerant of ;) - modern/avant garde type stuff, but man you listen to some weird shit. :scared-yipes: I guess this is one of those "you had to be there" sorta things, definitely doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in based on these videos and laptop sound.

Sorry, I don't mean to discourage you from posting about this stuff (here and in the "live" thread), by any means. I'm certainly willing to assume that it sounds better live! And I am still interested in hearing about your experiences. So keep it coming! I'm just saying, this is my reaction to what I can tell from these online clips, that's all, and I'm sure it's not fair.

Maybe if I put in enough smileys I won't come off sounding like an asshole here... :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Don't worry about it. I had to see this stuff live a few times before I'd ever listen to it at home. But it is amazing. The musicians are very good. But it ain't easy listening. You have to get to the point where you are totally in the song with every note and every beat. When that happens, time and space become very malleable. And then it really gets cool.

I wouldn't expect people to go out and buy any of this. But it would definitely be worth going to see, if it happens to come through your town.

Aaron German said:
I forgot to mention that listening to this music will make your life better.

AMEN To 'Dat!!! :text-+1:

Good to see you Aaron!

Dennie :text-goodpost:

Return to Forever IV! Al di Meola has been replaced by Frank Gambale (guitarist with Chick's Elektric Band) and Jean luc Ponty (electric violin). :violin:

http://return2forever.com/

:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

RIP, Billie Taylor. 1921-2010.
This guy kept going his entire life... :(

Got this recently (I think Botch brough him up in the listening thread) and have listened to it several times now. This is really a pleasant surprise! Even after listening to the samples of this on amazon, I was somehow expecting something a bit more like contemporary pop/jazz/fusion type stuff. But no, it's really very much in the style of what I think of as "traditional" jazz - not that there's any one single tradition - meaning here the 60's era style of small ensemble jazz. Hamilton is indeed a great tenor sax player, but as with all great jazz, it's not about a single player who happens to have backup musicians. It's an ensemble, and the others - Bill Charlap (piano), Peter Washington (bass), and Kenny Washington (drums) - are every bit as good, and they play well together. You can tell by some of the harmonic freedom that this is not 60's jazz, yes, but it does not go out of its way trying to be "ground breaking" or experimental, it's just solid jazz.

Highly recommended!

Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxBkmMOh0Uc[/youtube]

:banana-dance:

51e0clkLMKL._SS500_.jpg

Finally got to listen to this one through - actually a pleasant listening session with my daughter sitting quietly (!) in my lap reading her book and sorta listening to the music.... Anyway, great, great music, very well done! :text-bravo: The surround mix was a little odd with the drums placed back right and piano left/back left, and I thought they shoulda moved the bass over a little so it wasn't right under the sax in the center of the mix. But since they didn't consult me, I guess I'll have to live with it.

So which Hamilton should I get next? I have At Last, After Hours, and Back in New York. All very good, and I want more!

51FlqQtuDzL._SS500_.jpg

This is a damn good album. His playing has changed a lot since his 50's solo piano recordings. And I can hardly believe he was 74 when he recorded this one! You go, Dave. :music-listening:

I've added her to my list, don't have it yet. Actually, she won "Best New Artist"; best Jazz Album was Stanley Clarke's new album with Hiromi, I think someone just posted that album on "What are you listening to?"

Back