• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

JAZZ Music

Bump (this thread seriously needs it!)

Some albums I picked up and have heard (and liked)

51szIApMQpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

79b3c0a398a0394e714b1210.L._AA300_.jpg

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Once Upon A Groove (vinyl)

The first time I heard the Bags' Groove album was when I went to Ben's to check out the B&K setup he got. I listened to the Walkin' CD a couple of nights ago and loved it. Both of these are the Rudy Van Gelder remasters. I recorded the Blakey album earlier this morning. I can't believe this isn't on CD yet, but looking at the liner notes, this album must have been a comp re-issue by Blue Note (released 1980) with the tracks from past Blakey albums. I'll have to find these other albums since I love his music.

Also have (but haven't gotten a chance to listen yet):

Miles Davis - Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet (RVG remaster)
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messnegers - Moanin' (RVG remaster)
Duke Ellington - Concert in the Virgin Islands (vinyl)

The Jazz bug is starting to bite again as that has been all I've been listening to for the past couple of days. I think I'm going to look though my Miles collection and see what has been reissued as RVG remasters. I really like the sound of these releases. For those into Miles, Coltrane, and Blakey, any suggestions on some must owns?

Good bump! The two Miles albums I listen to most are Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain. I'm not familiar with Art Blakey.

I've been listening to Keit Jarrett quite a bit lately. He has a whole series of live small combo recordings made in small clubs in Europe, and I love all of them.

PaulyT said:
Good bump! The two Miles albums I listen to most are Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain. I'm not familiar with Art Blakey.

You gotta get into Blakey.

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers is the "graduate school" for jazz musicians. The members constantly changing it has at one time or another included Wayne Shorter, Wynton Marsalis, terrance Blanchard and many, many more.

'k, guess today is Jazz day. ;) I've ordered Yesfan's two cds, three Art Blakey albums, and a Charles Mingus that came up in amazon's rec. I'll report back...

Yeah, I've got some Jarrett stuff, very good.

Yeah, Blakey is the shizznit. :handgestures-thumbup:

As for Jarret....Can't stand him. He's a hell of a player, but every song of his I hear, he ALWAYS has to 'scat' during his solos. That drives me crazy. :angry-banghead:

PaulyT said:
'k, guess today is Jazz day. ;) I've ordered Yesfan's two cds, three Art Blakey albums, and a Charles Mingus that came up in amazon's rec. I'll report back...

Yeah, I've got some Jarrett stuff, very good.

Which Blakey albums (forgot to ask in my previous reply)? Moanin' is pretty good. Which Mingus? I thought about picking up Dynasty. I heard that in one of the record stores I went to last week and thought it sounded good.

Here's what I ordered (along with some more Tierney Sutton), just based on browsing amazon and reviews and such:

51GRBM1YPBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51a9PMGrAyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51B7mUgaurL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51OKwlDSCkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You'll like the Moanin' album. Let me know about the other two if you don't mind as I have had the Birdland albums on my short list for a while.

51KphrTHwfL._SS400_.jpg

Just finished listening through this one for the first time. Great vocal work! And the rest of the instrumentalists with her continue to impress me very much. This album's not quite as themed as some of her later stuff (Desire, On The Other Side), more of a "classical" jazz selection.

I don't know why I waited to get more of her albums, considering how much I love the few that I've had for a while.

Yesfan70 said:

As for Jarret....Can't stand him. He's a hell of a player, but every song of his I hear, he ALWAYS has to 'scat' during his solos. That drives me crazy. :angry-banghead:

:text-+1:

Irritating as hell.

GreatDane said:
Yesfan70 said:

Irritating as hell.

No posting while on vacation!

Rope

GreatDane said:
Yesfan70 said:

Irritating as hell.
"SCAT"? ......more like giving birth!

He doesn't even know he's doing it most of the time. He is so into playing, the noises just come out of him. I've learned to listen past his "wailing" or "grunting" or "labor pains" and really get to enjoy Keith. But Some times..... :doh:

Funny though, when Lionel Hampton does it, I love it. I love the fact that he is in his own world and playing the "Vibes" without another thought at all.

Try....

1e94f0cdd7a098594cf18110.L._AA300_.jpg

"I Loves You, Porgy" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin, Dubose Heyward) - 5:50
"I Got It Bad (and That Ain't Good)" (Duke Ellington, Paul Francis Webster) - 7:10
"Don't Ever Leave Me" (Oscar Hammerstein II, Jerome Kern) - 2:47
"Someone to Watch over Me" (Gershwin, Gershwin) - 5:05
"My Wild Irish Rose" (Traditional) - 5:21
"Blame It on My Youth/Meditation" (Edward Heyman, Oscar Levant/Jarrett) - 7:19
"Something to Remember You By" (Howard Dietz, Arthur Schwartz) - 7:15
"Be My Love" (Nicholas Brodszky, Sammy Cahn) - 5:38
"Shenandoah" (Traditional) - 5:52
"I'm Through With Love" (Gus Kahn, Fud Livingston, Matty Malneck) - 2:56

It's Keith Solo, but very little, if any "grunting"! :handgestures-thumbup:

:twocents-mytwocents:
Dennie

Dennie said:
GreatDane said:
Yesfan70 said:

Irritating as hell.
"SCAT"? ......more like giving birth!
Okay, that's the funniest thing I've read all week!! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I can't listen to him anymore for the same reason.
It's scary, but my new favorite saxist Scott Hamilton did it a bit on a couple albums, but not all the time; hopefully his agent slapped him up a bit and said, "Don't do that!!!"

I've read quite a few interviews with Keith, and won't do that anymore, either. Arrogant, prissy, look-at-me-I'm-so-deeeep jerk...

I'm really diggin' Mingus Ah Um. Pussy Cat Dues... sweet!

I also love how most jazz albums have fairly extensive liner notes, I've probably learned more about jazz in general from the liner notes to all my albums than any other source.

PaulyT said:
I also love how most jazz albums have fairly extensive liner notes, I've probably learned more about jazz in general from the liner notes to all my albums than any other source.

415%2BuP-xOfL._SS400_.jpg

I'm really seriously into Bill Evans, his piano is just amazing - just flows, and he does such musically interesting things all on the fly... I'm in awe.

Back