• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Kings of Leon discography

Towen7

Staff member
I'm always kind-of out of the loop when it come to popular music because I so rarely listen to music radio. I became aware of the band Kings of Leon around 2009 when I simply could not turn on the TV or the radio or even walk outside without hearing "Use Somebody" and/or "Sex on Fire". I've since grown to really like the band based on that album (Only By the Night) their subsequent release (Come Around Sundown).

I recently bought copies of their first three albums; Youth and Young Manhood, Aha Shake Heartbreak, and Because of the Times. I figured that as much as I liked the last two, the first three would be at least as good.

Man... was I wrong. After listening to each album a few times I'd be hard-pressed to find a single song I'd consider worth buying on all three combined. It was interesting to hear their sound evolve to what it is today, but that's it. I can't recall a band that changed that dramatically in only 7 years.

Hey...it happens, not every band can have the album to album success of say...Lionel Richie. But 2 outta 5 ain't bad. :eusa-whistle:

I agree with you 100%, I like the most recent two but am not a fan of Youth & Young Manhood. I haven't heard their other two earlier albums, and probably won't bother now...

I'm the exact opposite. I love their early stuff, the rawness of it, much more than the polished production of the last two albums. Heck, I don't think I was ever able to make it all the way through the Come Around Sundown. Because Of The Times has my two fav KoL songs: Knocked Up and Ragoo.

Thanks for starting this thread 'cause I've been getting a little tired of my usual Pandora station. Looks like a KoL marathon is definitely in order...

CMonster said:
I'm the exact opposite. I love their early stuff, the rawness of it, much more than the polished production of the last two albums. Heck, I don't think I was ever able to make it all the way through the Come Around Sundown. Because Of The Times has my two fav KoL songs: Knocked Up and Ragoo.

Thanks for starting this thread 'cause I've been getting a little tired of my usual Pandora station. Looks like a KoL marathon is definitely in order...

I'm with CMonster. I was first exposed to KOL when I saw them as an opening band for The Strokes in the fall of 2003. After hearing them, I bought Y&YM and LOVED it. I told everyone I knew about them. Then came A-Ha Shake, which I liked alot and perhaps even more. Because of the Times was the beginning of the end, but I still liked a number of the tracks. You could tell they were moving into the "Big Time", which was good for them but the raw nature of their sound was going away. Then came the Only by the Night. To me, their arrogance is smeared all over that album. I could be completely wrong, but their success really seemed to change them in a way that, to me at least, made them seem less genuine.

I still listen to the first two albums on occasion and I still enjoy them.

I bought their first three CDs as a box set - used - for something like $5.

I found Youth to be somewhat listenable - but soured by the tuneless vocals. Some songs were promising (Wasted Time, California Waiting).

I found Aha to be a good step up - with a few very enjoyable songs (Bucket, Razz, Four Kicks).

I really liked Because, because... a lot of growth in their music and some great tunes. Really like Ragoo and Arizona, and absolutely love Trunk - which reminds me a lot of some stuff that Blue Rodeo has done. It's got that Greg Keelor psychedelic feel to it, and some Cuddy-like vocals (with an edge).

For $5 I'm not disappointed. :)

Jeff

Back