• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Large vs small

For music lovers, tuning for the best music experience then accepting what you get for movies tends to work quite well because with movies we are distracted by the visuals so much that most imperfections in the soundtrack reproduction are less noticeable.

But, in all of our systems we have to choose which compromises to accept. In the case of soundtrack reproduction, the general rule of thumb is that every channel has its intended purpose, and few of the non-LFE channel have much bass in them, if any at all. So, a universal 80Hz crossover makes sense. If you read the guidelines for mixing surround audio, they always remind the engineer that the bass should always be in the LFE channel, not in the Left, Right, Center, or surround channels. So, if you really do want to recreate the best surround performance, a 80hz crossover is the way to go. It also makes sense that if you are using a Dolby theatrical surround mix to use dipolar surrounds, but for DTS mixes use direct radiator surrounds, and for TV productions to use direct radiator surrounds.

This is a hobby of compromises, so I find it best to make choices for what I want most ideal, in my case stereo playback of studio recordings, gets the most out of your system when it matters most to you.

In the case of Bryan's system, he has repeatedly stated that the vast majority of his system use is for movies (90%) and he doesn't play it all that terribly loud. 100% of my advice in this thread which was directed at him was based on his own statements about how he uses his system.

If he were to demonstrate is primary use was for stereo studio recordings at high SPLs (like my own goals), I would recommend tuning only the Left & Right and Subwoofer channels for perfection at high levels in his room, then try to integrate the rest of the channels after the fact.

Just a tad......................:mocking:

Straight up, I haven't met a single HT enthusiast who didn't boost their subwoofer at least 6dB louder than calibrated perfection specifically for listening to movies and TV shows. I have become so accustomed to a flat bass response because I chose to go the "accuracy" route that I notice it in everyone's system - and it is distracting to me.

Straight up, I haven't met a single HT enthusiast who didn't boost their subwoofer at least 6dB louder than calibrated perfection specifically for listening to movies and TV shows. I have become so accustomed to a flat bass response because I chose to go the "accuracy" route that I notice it in everyone's system - and it is distracting to me.
I ran my YPAO last night after adjusting the furniture to accommodate the amp . I need to move a few items near the subwoofer but overall I adjust it 3db to what YPAO reads. I don't think it is overkill in my system but you may disagree. I know the major overkill systems on subs and I don't particularly enjoy those.

I need to finalize the arrangement of my room and then rerun everythjng including the DB measurement on phase

I would like to try tuning my bass for a flat bass response but I think I need Tru RTA for that.

We've discussed tuning subwoofers so many times on this forum, I am pretty confident you can find everything you need to get it right.

That's said, most of the autotuning features on receivers do a pretty good job of it.

Back