• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Let's Have Some Fun With This

Batman said:
I almost pulled the trigger last week, but the prices began to escalate FAST...

That's what I figured. With the sophistication of today's residential networks I'd think there would be a pretty good business in developing a straightforward networked IR controller for the DIY crowd. I'm pretty surprised that there aren't any options in the sub $1,000 range.

Batman said:
yromj said:
I would love to have the ability to fully control a system w/ an iPad. I would want to be able to use Windows Media Player instead of iTunes for my music library, though. There's also still the issue w/ not having to point the iPad to control the rest of the system.

John
That's where wi-fi and a networked controller comes into play...

IF every piece of gear can be completely controlled by the network OR a TCP/IP-to-IR converting device is in use. Either way, every command for each component in a system would have to be available in the TCP/IP dataset.

If the pic shows up, look at the drop-down box displayed on the right side. That is a list of Onkyo receiver models which URC has IP commands for. For DVD players, they have controls for one brand over IP: Fusion Research.

I'm showing this to point out the need for IR via RF for a while to come, IMHO.

John

Attachments

• URC IP Dataset.jpg
    URC IP Dataset.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 1,882
If wifi conncted controller has an IR blaster it can receive commands via the network and devices that can't be controlled by TCP/IP would commanded by the controller's IR blaster. Such a controller is essentially an RF base station and networked controller in one housing.

Right?

Towen7 said:
If wifi conncted controller has an IR blaster it can receive commands via the network and devices that can't be controlled by TCP/IP would commanded by the controller's IR blaster. Such a controller is essentially an RF base station and networked controller in one housing.

Right?

Correct. I'll use URC as an example since that's what I'm familiar with: You have a WiFi remote (say the MX-6000) which is always connected to the network w/ WiFi. When you build the system in the remote, you add commands from both the IR database and the IP database. When an IR command is fired, it is typically sent via the RF transmitter in the remote and received by the RF base station.

The IP commands are sent over the network and can either be received directly by the piece of equipment, or by the base station (the same one as the RF signals). If they are received by the base station, it converts them to IR and emits them through a blaster.

In either case, it is typical to have the last step of a macro to call for the status of a networked device to display on the remote (essentially any command to a networked device will be a macro because of this, BTW).

So, who thinks we can go into business and compete w/ URC and Control4? I'm telling you guys, we can vastly improve on URC's equipment and sales model.

John

Nothing would excite me more, seriously. I just have no idea where or how to start.

John

When I have time I need to look into this a bit more but there appears to be an app called iRule that may fit the bill. It works in conjunction with a wi-fi to ir gateway like this one from Global Cache.

81181.jpg
or
gc-ip2ir.gif

There are other controllers similar to this also from different manufacturers. This type of device would run around $100-150, another $50 for the software builder license and the app itself is free.

Go here to view iRule's site:

:text-link:

Here's a screenshot of what the remote app would appear like on the iPad...

178106d1273336005-using-ipod-iphone-ipad-universal-remote-control-irule-ipad.jpg

Funny that you bring this up. I think Santa may be bringing me an iPad so I've been meaning to look into the possibility of using it as a remote.

Thanks for the info. .

It appears that some of the Global Cache iTach IR devices are available on Amazon...

I also noticed on Global Cache's site that they list my Onkyo PR-SC885 as an ethernet connect gateway. Does that mean that the iRule software can communicate with the 885 without an external gateway like the iTach?

Towen7 said:
It appears that some of the Global Cache iTach IR devices are available on Amazon...

I also noticed on Global Cache's site that they list my Onkyo PR-SC885 as an ethernet connect gateway. Does that mean that the iRule software can communicate with the 885 without an external gateway like the iTach?
I noticed that as well on the iRule site. But right now I'm not certain of the answer. There is a seemingly endless iRule thread over on AVS and the irule programer(s) seem to check in often. Problem with threads that large is all the BS to sift through...

Towen7 said:
...I also noticed on Global Cache's site that they list my Onkyo PR-SC885 as an ethernet connect gateway. Does that mean that the iRule software can communicate with the 885 without an external gateway like the iTach?

Yes. You can control the 885 directly via IP commands. You simply need to assign the 885 a static IP address on the network and point the IP commands to that address (at least that's how URC does it and I can't see the methodology really changing between companies).

The commands available in CCP (URC's software) are apparently everything. They have 2 "main" command sets as well as "Resolution", "Zone 2", and "iPod" from "HDD".

John

The 885 has an IR output as well. do you think it will pass commands for other devices? I ordered the Global Cache gatway and plan to pay for the software license to try to use my iPod touch for the living room system.

Towen7 said:
The 885 has an IR output as well. do you think it will pass commands for other devices? I ordered the Global Cache gatway and plan to pay for the software license to try to use my iPod touch for the living room system.
Yes it will, I currently have my 5507 configured this way... Although it is receiving the signals via IR :think:

You Bastard !! :angry-tappingfoot:

Seriously though I'm glad I'm not in this alone....And yromj will be tickled to death that it's you setting up my ipad and not him at 3.0... :eusa-whistle: I hope to be ordering the tcp/ip itach soon and using the same software. So keep me posted on the progress.

The pre/pro can relay IR commands that it receives; however, it won't convert IP to IR.

John

Towen, have you received the itach yet? If so when do you plan on beginning the set-up process? I really want to do this soon but with the holidays and many higher priorities right now, I don't want to spend any more $ until I'm really ready to dive in...

I ordered the iTach from a third-party seller on Amazon and it has not arrived yet. I wanted to wait on paying for the software license until I get the iTach in-hand. I was really hoping that I would have had received it it time to do some experimenting over the weekend but here we are.

We are planing a Christmas party next weekend so even if it arrives this week I won't have time to do much with it. Until the week following.

The iTach gateway arrived today (finally).

The Texans are playing on Monday Night Football and I have a busy week at work so I wont get to play with any programming until the weekend at the earliest.

HT-1.jpg

:angry-cussingblack:

For the past two hours I've been trying to get a single device and 4 commands loaded onto the iPod using the iRule builder and iRule app. There are video tutorials and I've followed them exactly but my device will simply NOT sync. It gets stuck on the "synchronizing images" portion of the process.

:angry-banghead:

I finally got past the initial sync and now syncing is much faster. After struggling with the concept of how to get started I can see where this can be very powerful and quick. One "problem" is that there aren't many devices in the database. Those that are there are saved with names other than the manufacturer's model number, so there is a lot of trial and error to figure-out if you have the right one. You can upload your own device codes but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I know that hex codes are available from places like remotecentral.com, I just need to figure out how to get those into the iRule Builder.

I'm just getting the hang of the basics, but the software is capable of doing everything that I've heard of any other remote system doing. I'm having a hard time because I'm teaching myself remote programming concepts. Someone with experience in this field (I'm looking at you yromj) would be able to breeze through this. That being said I wouldn't recommend this solution to the average person because there are simpler approaches from Harmony and URC that will meet the needs of the vast majority of users. But... those options have the ability to customize the entire experience and do it over a network.

Irule.jpg

DSC_1203.jpg

Back