• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Let's Have Some Fun With This

I'm giving up on the iPhone/iPod in this application. It works but there just isn't enough real-estate on the screen for what I want to do. Just getting all of the navigation buttons for dvd control and volume control requires tiny buttons which is not a good idea on a touch screen. As a result I have to spread the commands over several screens. Thats not terrible but it's not as elegant as I'd like.

I got an iPad for Christmas so I'll start experimenting with that interface.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/griffins-beacon-universal-remote-control-system-brings-dongle-f/

griffin-dijitbeacon01.jpg

Found this "ORemote" app in the AppStore for various Onkyo receivers and preamps for $4.99 figured I'd give it a shot. Had it up and running pretty quickly after enabling network control in my 5507's setting's menu. Another bonus, was after looking at all features on the product support page, I found out I can enable HDMI CEC on the OPPO (called RIHD in the preamps hardware settings) and now the preamplifier communicates with the BD player and this app controls the OPPO now too as far as I can tell! Since I'm watching football, I haven't verified full functionality with the BDP93, but I have verified I can turn the OPPO on and off. So....other than the iPad itself, I have $5 tied up and can control the preamplifier, it appears the OPPO too, and with dish networks remote access app (free), and Apples remote app for appletv, I'm now controlling my 4 main components over wi-fi with my iPad...

Just some ipad screen shots to show the different pages I can use to control my system...I still may have to spring for one complete more powerful app because without adding IR to the equation, I still have no control over the lights or the projector with the ipad. So these apps as neat as they are don't take the urc completely out of my hands yet. It's been fun exploring whats out there though for this ipad application...

Homescreen

164c1769.png

Main remote screen that controls most if not all the Onkyo 5507 functions, biggest oversight is that it doesn't switch to landscape when you rotate the ipad. D'oh. That would make this the PERFECT app to control my preamp...

24c584b7.png

Audio/Video screen that allows me to tweak various settings on the preamp along with temporary Sub and center level and Audio i/o status and Video i/o status.

579a5bd2.png

RI control screen allowing me to control my OPPO via HDMI CEC with full functionality EXCEPT for the R, G, B, Y buttons which rarely get used but for BD-live and other interactive functions I don't really care about.

1f04d932.png

Apple's Remote app allowing me access to my iTunes library and or AppleTV access/control

a693ff98.png

3edbd8df.png

f74c7aad.png

Gesture pad on Apple's remote app emulating the hard remote functions to navigate AppleTV menus

eb03ccfb.png

And finally, Dish Networks remote access app. If this app gave me a number keypad along with the d-pad you already see this app could replace my dish remote completely. But for some strange reason, it only gives me the keypad when I'm slinging live tv to the ipad or iphone, sling works though and that's was pretty cool. I can do w/o the keypad by choosing shows thru the guide and making a selection it's just a bit more slow and cumbersome.

6d477d22.png

957665ed.png

That looks very cool!! Can you build custom screens containing buttons from multiple devices?

John

No, each app is separate so no combo screens and no macros yet, the app store needs an app combiner :D I am still more than open to a program like iRule which I believe is more powerful software. T7 gave up on the app for the iphone, but has since gotten an iPad and hasn't really said yet whether he has or will migrate his hard work over to the iPad and if this is ultimately a good program to use in conjunction with the ipad and a global cache converter...I'm just playing with inexpensive work arounds until I find the "RIGHT" app to make the iPad my ultimate touch screen universal remote... :think:

Cool. I'm following this because I figure once you've found the "one app to rule them all" then I can jump in.

John

It would be nice to see the major component manufacturers recognize the power of a tablet based device for this purpose and install an ethernet jack on all devices. There should be, if there isn't already, an industry movement towards a standard protocol a la RS-232 where over a network OR HDMI combined with a receiver/preamp tethered to the network will control all devices with an app that truely accesses software where the app creator does all the legwork. I'd gladly pay $100-200 possibly more instead of $50 for such an app. After all it would eliminate the $600-1200 control system and $1000-1500 touch screen (that's the ballpark just to play with control 4 or crestron) plus/or an expensive app, plus usually a "sleeve" of some sort for hard keys (channel, volume, cursor, etc...) The HDMI CEC works flawlessly between my preamp and oppo there just isn't any macro integration yet to bring the whole thing together. Then there are still the lights and projector/lens combo to figure out too. Can you imagine all the wi-fi or bluetooth devices that could be introduced to finally take the headaches out of the universal remote market. And the installer/remote programmer could still make money to set it all up and it would take a lot less time. Of course there's a lot of work to do to get to that point...

Quick update on my experience witht the iRule app. While I haven't completyely given-up on it, it has been anything but smooth sailing. The available code sets are lacking and poorly organized. You can "learn" and upload codes but that process assumes that you have advanced knowledge. What it boils down to is that the app is designed by and for experienced remote programmers. I know that it is capable of everything I want it to do and more, but I dont have the time and ebergy to learn how to make it work.

I'm not sure how much time or money it's going to save either the end user or the programmer. Programming the remote is virtually the same w/ IP commands as IR commands. I see the difference as reliability.

Remember, the vast majority of people who use universal remotes have zero clue how their system is configured. They were that way before they got the remote and they damned sure are going to be that way after they get the remote.

You know how I gave you that "Device" page on your remote that lets you directly access your pre/pro or projector at any time so you have full control over it? I include a similar page on every remote that I do and the majority of time when I show that page to someone their eyes glaze over and they ask why they would ever need to change anything.

CEC could make things easier, or it could make things worse (the first time it pissed me off was when a house had 2 zones and the BD player was also the CD player for both zones - as soon as zone 2 turned on the CD, zone 1 jumped to the CD as well). The real drawback is some loss of control, though, such as turning subtitles on and off during a movie.

The bottom line is that A/V systems are very powerful and flexible and the users aren't educated enough to use them in most cases.

John

I base my comments above based on the ease and efficiency in which that particular app (oremote) was able to be set up. So right now, at best, it gives me hope that there is a direction or an obtainable goal w/i the remote industry. You are far and away the most experienced person I know at dealing with all sorts of universal remote issues so I believe you when you say that there are some definite issues that require working out. I guess I feel with the right resources devoted to this, whether by the manufactures or the universal remote companies, that this should be much simpler. But my fear is that it may never be because avenues that generate profit within the installer industry (which remote companies cater to) are running out, it's just a poor excuse to make things SO complex. The universal remote step in an install remains the one item which has me tearing my hair out each and every time I have to deal with it....I guy can dream can't he? :pray:

I know where you're coming from and as end user I am completely with you. Unfortunately, we do not represent any percentage of the market that matters.

As for the remote install thing, we need to talk...SERIOUSLY.

John

OK, I just talked to a rep from a company called Think Flood :text-link:. Their product line is called Red Eye and they may have what everyone is looking for.

He showed me 3 devices. The first is a simple IR blaster that plugs into an i-device, or an Android device. The software allows customization and macros though. The second is a typical looking dock but the dock is a WI-FI device and has 6 IR blasters built-in as well as an IR output port. According to the rep, the dock can receive commands via Wi-Fi and then relay them as IR. It uses the same software, so complete customization is possible. Now we're getting somewhere.

The final piece is the one that Bats will put in his theater before the GTG. It is rack mounted command center that is a Wi-Fi device. It has 8 individually addressable IR outputs, 2 RS-232 ports, 4 (I believe), "gate" sensors (sensing whether or not something is on or off), 3 USB downstream ports (one in front), and one USB upstream ports (presumably for programming from a PC). MSRP is $750.

I know some of you just groaned at the price, but it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things. A URC MX-980 is $599 and the good RF base station is $249. If someone already has an iPad, or an Android based tablet, and they want to control their system, this is a pretty cool way to do it. I think we've finally found what some of you were looking for.

John

Wife has the Ipad and the remote works well with the apple TV's and itunes currently working the small network based system at our home. One apple TV in bed room and one at Home theater. They are connected by eithernet 100 mps.

Glad to hear that it's working well. Controlling iTunes or other Apple based hardware is pretty straight forward.

I gave-up on the global cache/iRule solution. It's programming is just way over my head and I don't have the time to learn it. Nor do I have the energy/cash to find/pay a programmer to do what I want with it. I've settled on URC products for now and if I need more I'll move to something like Control4.

Towen7 said:
Glad to hear that it's working well. Controlling iTunes or other Apple based hardware is pretty straight forward.

I gave-up on the global cache/iRule solution. It's programming is just way over my head and I don't have the time to learn it. Nor do I have the energy/cash to find/pay a programmer to do what I want with it. I've settled on URC products for now and if I need more I'll move to something like Control4.

BTW, I need some info from you. How are you coming on the dimmers, 980, etc.?

John

MX980 and ONE dimmer are on the way. I decided to go with one to make sure it works like I hope. Once we get that one figured out I'll want to add the second dimmer in the HT and one in the living room down stairs. I'm trying to restrain myself from going overboard on light control because I can see how convenient it would be to have scenes built for almost every room.

I'm more than a little intimidated by the thought of learning to program using CCP. Still... I can't wait for the MX980.

I just realized how dependent I'm getting on URC equipment.

Spent $15 on the Redeye Mini off of amazon. Figured it'd give a brief and inexpensive taste of the Redye user-friendliness. If it proves to be intuitive, Ill upgrade to the Pro ASAP. It has 8 IR outputs, 2 usb ports, to Ethernet ports, 2 RS-232 jacks and 4 contact closures. It'd be sweet to fire a couple of those up and enter and exit the bat cave with the push of the button on my iPad screen...hopefully this will put me on the fast track to finally controlling every last gadget in the theater with the iPad and possibly all of my idevices. That'd be cool as hell since the original reason for the iPad purchase was to put into use as a universal remote...it appears there'll still be a learning curve but this SW looks like something more up my alley...

Yeah, from what I've seen I think it's what you're looking for. It's the first true IP-to-IR device I've seen and it allows complete customization with macros. The only thing you're going to have a problem w/ is powering on/off the projector. Guess it's time to run a piece of Cat5 over there.

John

Back