• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Little Dot II++ vs AudioTailor Jade

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
It's been a LONG LONG time since I've really done any critical listening, so it was fun to get back to it a bit today. Walls was kind enough to send me his LD2++ to try out (sorry it took so long, Walls), along with three sets of preamp tubes - or whatever you call the smaller tubes in a headphone amp, never did quite figure that out. Here's the rig:

DSCF4431-XL.jpg

The Jade is on the left, the LD is the one with the headphones connected. The silver box is a user-upgraded DAC that I got on Head-Fi years ago when I started all this. You can't see it in this photo but the DAC is connected via optical toslink to a squeezebox. The headphones are my only current full-size cans, my heavily modded Denon D5000.

I picked a set of 10 songs to demo with, tracks I've (mostly) not used before as demo material, but things that have struck me in recent years as particularly good recordings. Everything from Norah Jones to Liszt piano to Beth+Joe to Brahms symphony. Tried to get a good variety.

Here's a closeup of the three sets of preamp tubes. These are, from left to right, Mullard M8161, Ediswan EF92, and Mullard EF92. The larger/power tubes in the LD are some sort of Chinese from what little I could tell, maybe Walls knows more.

DSCF4430-XL.jpg

Observation: the LD2 runs HOT. And I don't mean the tubes, of course those warm up, but the whole body of the LD2 gets really hot to the touch even after an hour or so of listening. Wow.

As you can see in the photo, I wrote down a few brief notes for each track, and for each set of tubes with the LD2 and the Jade (didn't do tube rolling with the Jade today, already been through that years ago). Here's my overall impressions of each rig:

LD + Ediswan: generally a bit mushy and soft, especially when the music is loud and full, detail gets lost. Soundstage is a kinda narrow. Imaging is not great.

LD + Mullard EF92: obvious improvement over the Ediswan. Imaging is tighter, soundstage broader. Still a little strain when things get loud and full, especially if a lot of bass is present. There's an odd emphasis in the upper midrange that I didn't quite like.

LD + Mullard M8161: the clear winner with the LD2, IMHO. Good balance with nice crisp high end - I tend to like some "crispness" in the very high frequencies. Maybe possibly a bit bright, but I liked the overall balance. Good imaging and soundstage.

Jade: Good clean and punchy low bass. Excellent soundstage (I kinda optimized for that when doing my tube rolling). Maybe not quite so crisp on the top, but a little smoother overall.

So now... while I'd love to claim that my beloved Jade is far superior... well it is in some ways, but not others. Where the Jade shines for me is in the low end, and the breadth of the soundstage. Overall I thought the LD2 lacked a little in the bass, it was a little muddy down there; and when there's a lot of bass in the mix the rest of the instrumentation suffered a bit in clarity. Not so with the Jade. It's bass is low and tight, and other frequencies still come out well even when bass is full. However, there's occasionally some audible distortion in some cases with the Jade, that I didn't hear with the LD2; in particular a couple spots with solo violin where there's a bit of an overtone/echo, and some distortion in a full choral piece when it gets loud. These are things I had heard when I first got the Jade, but thought I had gotten rid of. It's possible my tubes are wearing out after the many many hours I've put on them. Not sure I want to go through that all over again.

Dammit Walls, now you've got me wanting to try a really good solid state amp to compare with the various tube amps I've heard. :angry-banghead: :laughing-rolling: I've said before, tube rolling is the blessing and curse of tube amps. You can tune it to a way that is pleasing to you - not claiming it's more "neutral" or anything, just that I like the sound I get with my Jade. I've tried some cheapo ss amps which were clearly lacking. So now I want to see if I go higher end in ss, whether that will be as pleasing to me as the "tubey" sound. Sigh.

Anyway, this has been a fun experiment. Thanks, Walls. Neither the LD2 nor the Jade are really that high-end in the tube amp world, either. Next time I visit Zing I'm gonna have to bring my Jade along to do some head-to-head with the Woo. (No Zing, I don't think I want to buy another tube amp right now... :hand: ) Maybe I'll go troll around on head-fi and see what's out there in the ss world, it's been a long time since I've looked into any headphone gear.

Ugh, the curse of being a critical listener. Never pay too much attention to your gear unless you want to risk requiring an upgrade! :teasing-tease:

PaulyT said:
(No Zing, I don't think I want to buy another tube amp right now... :hand: )
Damn!

Maybe I should be like Randy and put "Anyone want to buy a headphone amp?" in my signature.

Considering that the LD2++ can be had now in the used market for around $100 do you think HONESTLY that it is worth that price?

My reference amp is the far.. No. .. FAR .. superior WOO AUDIO WA2 and the LD stands no chance on just about any level against it so I've never had another "budget" tube amp to compare it to.
I have seen the Jade here and there for around $225, is it a full $125 better then the LD?

The LD does run hot, damn hot. But I have ran it for hours and it has yet, knock on wood, to fail.

So now do I box up the SCHIIT A2 for you to try?

With the right tubes, yeah the LD is definitely worth $100 - more IMHO. How much did you spend on those tubes, if you don't mind sharing here? And which did you prefer with the LD?

Yeah, I think the Jade's probably worth the extra $$. Again, with the right tubes. The ones it came with weren't all that hot, either. I probably spent close to the same amount on various tubes as I did on the amp...

And it's remotely possible that I may have another tube amp to compare it to soon... :eusa-whistle:

Holy crap that WA2 is a beast! (had to go look up their models) Ok something like that is not in my reach :laughing: but ... eh what the hell, I did a 180 on my comment to Zing above, and just bought his WA6 - couldn't pass it up when he told me what he wanted for it. :banana-rock:

Like you I mostly preferred the M8161's for most music. For all out heavy stuff though the Mullard ef92 are a tad better.

I got both pairs of Mullards from a guy on HeadFi and if memory serves they were around $100. At the time it was steal because the tubes were popular with the LD crowd and guys were willing to pay more then they were worth IMO.

I regret not sending the HD650's with the amp, for some reason the LD pushes them really well.

I got stupid busy at work so my BottleHead has yet to receive it's finishing touches, when it does you will definitely be getting a chane to hear it with the 650's.

I think somebody around here needs to step up and get Woo's latest and greatest drool-inducing creation: the WA234 Monoblock.

234MONO-frontback.jpg

Come on, CMonster! How awesome would Radiohead sound on a pair of cans driven by these badasses? :music-listening:

:laughing: Hell yeah, and a bargain at < $16,000 - each.

Yeah, not gonna happen, lol!

Congrats on the WA6, i got to spend some time with one that had the Sophia Princess tube. Fantastic amp!!

If I recall correctly my WA2 sounded bigger and had slightly better instrument separation.

If you have yet to actually hold a WOO you are gonna be very pleased with what you have. Compared to the LD and even the Jade the build quality is incredible.

Ugh yeah that's the reason I was initially hesitant to get another tube amp. If I love it, great, but then I'll inevitably wonder, "will it sound that much better with this $150 new tube?"

Crap.

I did listen to the WA6 at Zing's some, but at the time, I was comparing my modded D5000 with his stock D7000. But I didn't have the Jade with me to compare amps.

Plus I *think* there are two versions of the Sophia. You want the more expensive one. Lol.

Pauly, thanks for the effort. I wonder, can you measure frequency response of each tube set or headphone amp? I figure, since it's line level voltage, it would be easy to do.

I thought about trying to do some amp measurements, but never got around to it. Yeah I guess I could just build a simple "Y" headphone jack splitter and run one channel back to the measurement rig (my usual RTA setup), it should be safe assuming the impedance of that is a lot higher than the headphones... should be. Maybe I'll try that sometime.

However, I'm not sure it's just a frequency response issue, though I suppose distortion (harmonics) is a part. But that doesn't measure the dynamics, which may be even more important... I don't know how to measure that.

You mentioned the power tubes, they are whatever comes stock with the amp. I never figured on trying other ones because after sifting through the 1000 plus page thread on these over at HeadFi it seems as though most listeners said the amp changed little when rolling those.

I would love to see measurements for each tube set, come on PaulyT, DO IT !!

PaulyT said:
I thought about trying to do some amp measurements, but never got around to it. Yeah I guess I could just build a simple "Y" headphone jack splitter and run one channel back to the measurement rig (my usual RTA setup), it should be safe assuming the impedance of that is a lot higher than the headphones... should be. Maybe I'll try that sometime.

However, I'm not sure it's just a frequency response issue, though I suppose distortion (harmonics) is a part. But that doesn't measure the dynamics, which may be even more important... I don't know how to measure that.
Frequency response is easier to see if that's what makes the difference. If it shows identical, then you can try distortion analyzer like FFT. You can download free trial version here http://www.virtins.com/multi-instrument.shtml

Before you measure, check the voltage at the plug to make sure it's not more than couple volts. If it's more, you can put a resistor in series just so that it's at safe level for the mic preamp.

If you're unwilling to spend the needed money on good tubes, purchase a solid state amp. After all, sine wave is generated by the tube. Input tubes being king, however, power tubes can't be junk.

Rope

With my Jade, the larger tube made almost - but not quite - as much difference as the little tube. (I'm still confused about what the different size tubes are called, may depend somewhat on the type of amp and its topology... I'm no expert in tube amp design.) Well, I imagine at some point I'll find out about how the WA6 is affected by other tubes... sigh. But Rope's right.

However, that is why I have ALSO ordered a good quality solid state amp (Meier Corda Classic). I've had it in the back of my mind for a while that I wanted to try a "real" ss amp, primarily for exactly this reason - the lack of need to worry about the damn tubes. I will do a head-to-head when they both arrive, again something I've wanted to do for a long time, to see if my stated preference for tube amps is really the case. I don't NEED two amps, nor did my wallet really want to buy two amps, so I'll likely sell one or the other once I see for myself which I prefer.

Zing said:
Come on, CMonster! How awesome would Radiohead sound on a pair of cans driven by these badasses? :music-listening:

PaulyT said:
:laughing: Hell yeah, and a bargain at < $16,000 - each.

How the hell did I get dragged into this conversation??? :angry-tappingfoot: I'm not getting sucked into this money pit; I've got plenty of other things for that.

^^ C'mon man dive in, and then resurface for some adventure with vinyl! :eek:bscene-buttred:

Rope said:
If you're unwilling to spend the needed money on good tubes, purchase a solid state amp. After all, sine wave is generated by the tube. Input tubes being king, however, power tubes can't be junk.

Rope

I agree, as I have said though the only reason I have never bothered changing the driver tubes is because pretty much everything I have read about them is that they make almost no difference.

I have changed all the tubes however in my WA2 and there was a difference when I changed each set. Nice thing about the WOO is that they make it easy to buy tubes that are matched and have already proven to be the best for their product by selling them directly on their site. Almost no need to sift through 100 pages of nonsense to find good tubes. Lol.

Back